Pressbox: Position battles

wildcard

IMO the problem with your plan is that Gausman and Gonzo are much better pitchers than Matusz and Webb. Buck is going to want to keep the more talented pitchers on the major league 25 man roster.

The original post mentioned fudging with options for the first week of the season. Buck will keep the best pitchers overall but they are known for making use of roster moves as much as possible. It is highly likely Gausman starts in the minors just to keep a little more depth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The original post mentioned fudging with options for the first week of the season. Buck will keep the best pitchers overall but they are known for making use of roster moves as much as possible. It is highly likely Gausman starts in the minors just to keep a little more depth.

I could see Gausman in the pen until the April 14th but not in the minors. He is passed that IMO.

And Gonzo and Norris were beyond being sent to the minors but it still happened for maximum roster manipulation.

Its a little early in the year for that. If they burn Gausman's 20 days at the begin of the season they may not have them when the need them later.

Its a little early in the year for that. If they burn Gausman's 20 days at the begin of the season they may not have them when the need them later.

I fully expect Gausman to be the 5th starter, but I believe it was mentioned that he wouldn't be needed until the 8th game or so of the season. I agree that they will have to be careful about using his option, but with all of the pitchers departing for free agency after this year, I highly doubt he goes back to the minors again. Plus, if it means not DFAing a pitcher at the end of ST, it will likely be something DD does.

I know we have talked about Webb most likely being traded but I wonder if Wright might be the one DFA'ed since he would most easily be claimed and save the Orioles some money.

I fully expect Gausman to be the 5th starter, but I believe it was mentioned that he wouldn't be needed until the 8th game or so of the season. I agree that they will have to be careful about using his option, but with all of the pitchers departing for free agency after this year, I highly doubt he goes back to the minors again. Plus, if it means not DFAing a pitcher at the end of ST, it will likely be something DD does.

I know we have talked about Webb most likely being traded but I wonder if Wright might be the one DFA'ed since he would most easily be claimed and save the Orioles some money.

The purpose of signing Wesley was to give Buck a lefty that can get out lefties and righties. I would think that Buck still wants that.

I would think that DD is looking at trades that bring back a player with options but have equal or less salary due than Matusz or Webb. The O's don't really have a payroll problem at this point when the deferred money is considered. Its more about making sure they have healthy pitchers before trading away one or two.

Last I heard Gausman is not going to be optioned. It would be Gonzo who could be optioned to AAA to start the season.

If a player is recall before 20 days then an option is not used. You are correct. Options are good for the whole year.

Okay so what would the value of saving his option? Most would agree that Gausman is a rotation lock after this season when we lose Chen and likely Norris.

Okay so what would the value of saving his option? Most would agree that Gausman is a rotation lock after this season when we lose Chen and likely Norris.

Gausman has 4 more years of service time where his options can be used without his permission. No one knows what the future holds. IMO you don't burn an option unless you have to.

Archived