Wieters Full Time DH?

weams

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why wouldn't you believe he can?

82 games and 9 home runs.

Getting 6 more out of more games, isn't that unrealistic.

The kid has some pop in his bat.

Didn't he hit six of them in consecutive games? That means he hit three in the other 76 games.

Do you know how many times he broke the 15 HR barrier in the minors? Once, over seven seasons.

As for the OP, Wieters should not be on the roster if he can't catch. He's a league average hitter with big platoon splits. If he's going to take Delmon Young's role and Young gets bounced then I guess I would be ok with it because that is all he can be counted on for.

Didn't he hit six of them in consecutive games? That means he hit three in the other 76 games.

Do you know how many times he broke the 15 HR barrier in the minors? Once, over seven seasons.

So what, you question, can you hit 15-20 playing full-time. We think he can. Remember, this was his first dance up in the bigs, and give the guy credit for what he did. The pitchers made adjustments, now he has to make adjustments.

He also had a 72 wRC+. I don't care how much pop he has if that doesn't improve.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't share it, but it doesn't make either of us wrong or right.

As for the OP, Wieters should not be on the roster if he can't catch. He's a league average hitter with big platoon splits. If he's going to take Delmon Young's role and Young gets bounced then I guess I would be ok with it because that is all he can be counted on for.

I never said Wieters can't catch next season, I said bring him along slowly.

However, if he hits, like he did last season, then, yes, he is more than able to play full-time DH.

He also had a 72 wRC+. I don't care how much pop he has if that doesn't improve.

I don't see why he can't. Everyone on this board is predicting a massive breakout by Schoop. Yet CJ's stats were basically the same as Schoop's. I don't think CJ is any less likely than Schoop to improve. If CJ is pressed to play full time, I would predict marginal improvement at the plate, at least in AVG if not HR. If his defense holds, that could be good for 2 WAR. Not ideal, but a better option than anybody available in our organization or the market.

I do think Wieters either catches or goes to the DL. He is not that much better than Delmon or Snider that you do anything to jeopardize his rehab, plus you really put the squeeze on our roster if we are carrying Young and Snider. I don't think you cut Snider/Lough/Delmon just to DH Wieters.

But what if you are paying him 8.3 million dollars in his final year with the club. What will you do with then if he can't throw to second yet?

It makes no difference what we're paying him. It's a sunk cost. We do whatrver's best for the team. In my opinion, Wieters has to be ready to catch to be on the OD roster. Otherwise he starts on the DL.

I don't see why he can't. Everyone on this board is predicting a massive breakout by Schoop. Yet CJ's stats were basically the same as Schoop's. I don't think CJ is any less likely than Schoop to improve. If CJ is pressed to play full time, I would predict marginal improvement at the plate, at least in AVG if not HR. If his defense holds, that could be good for 2 WAR. Not ideal, but a better option than anybody available in our organization or the market.

I do think Wieters either catches or goes to the DL. He is not that much better than Delmon or Snider that you do anything to jeopardize his rehab, plus you really put the squeeze on our roster if we are carrying Young and Snider. I don't think you cut Snider/Lough/Delmon just to DH Wieters.

First off "everyone" isn't and few of those think his improvement will be "massive".

Secondly Schoop is 23 and Joseph is 29. That makes an incredible difference when projecting players.

So what, you question, can you hit 15-20 playing full-time. We think he can. Remember, this was his first dance up in the bigs, and give the guy credit for what he did. The pitchers made adjustments, now he has to make adjustments.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't share it, but it doesn't make either of us wrong or right.

However, if he hits, like he did last season, then, yes, he is more than able to play full-time DH.

I give him credit but cases where an older player performs better in the majors then the minors is extremely rare. His past history shows that he was most likely playing over his head last season. This is a guy the O's were transitioning off of catcher a few years ago that is now performing at an above average level defensively. Odds are good that is not going to continue. Same with the power, it looks like he had a miserable season at the bat that just happened to include a one week period where he went nuts.

It doesn't look sustainable.

Ubaldo pitched 125 innings didn't he? He started 22 games. 22.

Your answer is very misleading. Buck pitched his 5 best starters all year.

Ubaldo started 17 of his starts in April-June and only 5 after July 1st.

After Gausman was called up in June he pitched 19 of his 20 starts while Ubaldo sat.

Norris and Gonzo both missed time in June with injuries which allowed Ubaldo and Gausman to both be in the rotation during that June.

So most of Ubaldo's starts were pre-Gausman or replacing the injured Norris or Gonzo. After that he only got spot starts. The O's had a 12 game lead when Ubaldo started the season clincher in Sept. Not much pressure in that.

Hypothetically, Joseph hits 15 homers, but maintains a slash line of .207/.264/.354. That's a valuable offensive player?

Wieters had 112 plate appearances in 2014. 112. In those plate appearances he had a .329 BABIP, his career BABIP is .285. Not only do I trust the larger sample just on principle alone, but that small sample also includes cautionary flags.

Lough is the 4 OF and the backup OF on this team, like Flash with the IF.

To me, they are both pretty much penciled in the roster.

Then what are you doing with De Aza, Snider, and Young?

And if Lough is the 4th OF, which of these guys is he ahead of: Jones, De Aza, Snider, Pearce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived