Wieters Full Time DH?

weams

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Without Lough, Young is the fifth option as an outfielder.

When do you play Lough? Are you starting him over De Aza or Snider? If Young's not in the OF and Cruz isn't here, are you using him as defensive replacement? Does Pearce not make any starts against righties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Young has trouble making this team, if I am in charge. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Jones is a lock, and most likely Pearce is too.

If De Aza plays well, he is your other corner.

Snider and Lough are on the roster, until they show they can't contribute

Young has trouble making this team, if I am in charge. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Jones is a lock, and most likely Pearce is too.

If De Aza plays well, he is your other corner.

Snider and Lough are on the roster, until they show they can't contribute

Jones, Pearce, De Aza in the OF. Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis and #1 C (hopefully Wieters). That's 8 locked up spots. Second catcher and utility IF take up two bench spots, that makes 10. Barring a surprise, Delmon, Snider, and Lough take up the last three spots. Delmon and Snider split up DH, and Lough is the 4th OF.

Barring a surprise, I think Delmon makes it UNLESS they want to go with Wieters at DH.

Trying to figure out what happens if Wieters isn't ready to catch is almost impossible without the benefit of knowing what happens in ST. Too make variables.

Not in my opinion. Wieters can't catch in a major league game unless he's had several starts in game conditions beforehand. He can't go on a rehab assignment if he's been DHing for the major league club. Therefore, he starts the year on the DL if he's not ready to catch.

Jones, Pearce, De Aza in the OF. Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis and #1 C (hopefully Wieters). That's 8 locked up spots. Second catcher and utility IF take up two bench spots, that makes 10. Barring a surprise, Delmon, Snider, and Lough take up the last three spots. Delmon and Snider split up DH, and Lough is the 4th OF.

Barring a surprise, I think Delmon makes it UNLESS they want to go with Wieters at DH.

I think we only go with 12 position players and not 13; I think we have 13 pitchers (unless there is an injury or trade) due to having six starters and two Rule V guys.

Not in my opinion. Wieters can't catch in a major league game unless he's had several starts in game conditions beforehand. He can't go on a rehab assignment if he's been DHing for the major league club. Therefore, he starts the year on the DL if he's not ready to catch.

If Wieters is hitting for a 900 OPS in ST, I don't see them DLing him. Russell has find ways to have him do catching drills under he is ready to catch in a game.

If Wieters is hitting for a 900 OPS in ST, I don't see them DLing him. Russell has find ways to have him do catching drills under he is ready to catch in a game.

I don't think there are any drills that can replicate catching in a top-level competitive game. Also, I really don't care what Wieters hits in spring training. Clevenger hit .472 in spring training last year. Davis hit .405. Shoop hit .366. It's pretty meaningless.

If he is the April/May DH while limited to drills and his arm finishes healing, couldn't he just be optioned for a week or two like Gonzalez and Norris were last year? Give Bowie or Norfolk fans a 10-day thrill while depth holds down the fort.

It's interesting to me how the club's assessment of DeAza, Pearce and Snider factors into this. One of those guys would get a very small PT portion if this road is taken.

If he is the April/May DH while limited to drills and his arm finishes healing, couldn't he just be optioned for a week or two like Gonzalez and Norris were last year?

Because Wieters has more than five years of service time, they would need his consent in order to option him. Perhaps he'd do it, I don't know.

I think we only go with 12 position players and not 13; I think we have 13 pitchers (unless there is an injury or trade) due to having six starters and two Rule V guys.

Between the DL, trades, and guys with options, DD will figure out how to get us down to 12 pitchers. It doesn't make sense to sign Delmon at a significant raise if we aren't going to use him.

I was wrong. Buck clarifies.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck says Wieters wouldn't break camp with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> as strictly a DH. Has to be able to catch</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I was wrong. Buck clarifies.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck says Wieters wouldn't break camp with the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> as strictly a DH. Has to be able to catch</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's the right move. Hopefully it isn't even an issue.

I haven't been posting here very much the last month or so' date=' but did I miss something? There's no real chance they're going to take [i']two [/i]Rule 5 players north, is there? On a competitive team it's usually hard to justify one. 13 pitchers and two Rule 5 guys makes me sort of nauseous.

I haven't been posting here very much the last month or so, but did I miss something? There's no real chance they're going to take two Rule 5 players north, is there? On a competitive team it's usually hard to justify one. 13 pitchers and two Rule 5 guys makes me sort of nauseous.

No chance at all. Realistically.

Archived