Wieters Full Time DH?

weams

Never before have I seen such anger over a ballplayer because he only became a solid regular instead of an inner circle HOFer who regularly rescues children from burning buildings while curing world hunger.

I agree totally, and a guy, regarded by his peers as one of the better catchers at the position.

Go figure.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never before have I seen such anger over a ballplayer because he only became a solid regular instead of an inner circle HOFer who regularly rescues children from burning buildings while curing world hunger.

I agree 100%. First off its not MW fault that he was anointed Jesus with a bat and the savior of the franchise by many before ever taking a single major league AB. In retrospect it was certainly unrealistic, especially considering he is a catcher, a position known for its steep learning curve at the MLB level.

While MW may not have become the player many hoped to date, since his arrival to the big leagues we have seen this team progress from a laughingstock to reaching the ALCS. While I understand MW was essentially not a part of that run, his influence on this team was still felt last year IMO. Say what you want about MW but nobody can question his work ethic or drive far as I am concerned and be credible. This is the reason that Buck loves Matt so much, its a tenant of Bucks philosophy also, be prepared. I really believe that Matt is a huge part of restoring professionalism, attention to detail and pride in what you do back into the Orioles vocabulary. Yes Buck is THE driving force but his message is so much more effective when he can point to a guy or two and say "this is what I am talking about, work like this, prepare like him". That has incredible value to a team.

I would bet my last dollar that if MW comes back strong this year, Buck will go to the mat to have him resigned. I find it amazing that people who know baseball for a living look at MW and gush over him for the most part. Meanwhile many here make him out to be "overrated"

I would bet my last dollar that if MW comes back strong this year, Buck will go to the mat to have him resigned. I find it amazing that people who know baseball for a living look at MW and gush over him for the most part. Meanwhile many here make him out to be "overrated"

Bill James thinks he's overrated. Said so a couple weeks ago that he never understood the hype. Pretty sure Tony thinks he's overrated. Rick Dempsey stated his defense could improve in multiple areas a couple years ago. I would venture to say that most analyst don't really consider MW an elite catcher. I think last year showed this mystique about him providing unknown and undefined contributions with our pitchers has been shown to be BS. The defensive metrics show him a bit above average, not elite over his career. He's been a good durable (emphasis on been) catcher and by all accounts a he's hard worker. He's nothing special and I would almost guarantee that DD won't overpay for MW based on intangibles and work ethic considering his performance and risk factors.. It will be interesting to see how the market views him though and I do hope he has a good year.

Bill James thinks he's overrated. Said so a couple weeks ago that he never understood the hype. Pretty sure Tony thinks he's overrated. Rick Dempsey stated his defense could improve in multiple areas a couple years ago. I would venture to say that most analyst don't really consider MW an elite catcher. I think last year showed this mystique about him providing unknown and undefined contributions with our pitchers has been shown to be BS. The defensive metrics show him a bit above average, not elite over his career. He's been a good durable (emphasis on been) catcher and by all accounts a he's hard worker. He's nothing special and I would almost guarantee that DD won't overpay for MW based on intangibles and work ethic considering his performance and risk factors.. It will be interesting to see how the market views him though and I do hope he has a good year.

Check this old Youtube from 2010 and Dempsey talks about how Wieter's defense has improved.

[video=youtube;weVbFQZfVro]

Throwing out baserunners isn't the only thing that makes a good defensive catcher and Dempsey's comments were well after 2010 and surprisingly critical, stating he needed to improve in virtually every other area.

And then he won the Fielding Bible award for 2011.

I don't put much stock in Gold Gloves but they have some smart guys doing the Fielding Bible.

Odd but true: how soon (if at all) Matt's velocity comes back will impact the Orioles more than Dylan Bundy's velocity this season.

Considering that arm is his major strength I do think an average armed (or worse) Wieters might be tough. Hope it works out and he hits.

And then he won the Fielding Bible award for 2011.

I don't put much stock in Gold Gloves but they have some smart guys doing the Fielding Bible.

Sure. But his DRS (used in Fielding Bible) has been a bit above average for his career. One years defense (good or bad) does not define anyone.

Throwing out baserunners isn't the only thing that makes a good defensive catcher and Dempsey's comments were well after 2010 and surprisingly critical, stating he needed to improve in virtually every other area.

I would love to hear that, considering, my own ears have only heard nothing but praises for the guy.

I would love to hear that, considering, my own ears have only heard nothing but praises for the guy.

I heard it clearly. Discussed it on here when it happened. I guess you missed Bill James comments on the top 10 catchers right now and some of Tony's comments about his pitch calling as well. Pretty sure Stotle has voiced some criticisms as well.

Wieters has been a solid player but last year should have removed the mystique for everyone.

I heard it clearly. Discussed it on here when it happened. I guess you missed Bill James comments on the top 10 catchers right now and some of Tony's comments about his pitch calling as well. Pretty sure Stotle has voiced some criticisms as well.

Wieters has been a solid player but last year should have removed the mystique for everyone.

Not to offend his fans, and I am not judging comments I have not heard, but I don't put a lot of weight in what Bill James says anymore.

His impassioned defense of Albert Pujols a few years ago just being one of example of the game passing him by.

Not every scout is going to agree on every player.

Oh yeah, Bill James, the guy who claimed Wieters didn't have a hole in his game, back when he debut?

Sorry, been a lot of sub par defenders behind the plate since Dempsey played and I respect what Matt brought to this team with his level of play.

I myself, wouldn't call Matt Top Ten again, until he plays and shows he still has the arm to keep the guys at first.

Archived