Jayson Nix Signed to MiL Deal w/ Spring Invite

TonySoprano

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nix is very much like a Ryan Flaherty except for two things: one, he's right handed, and two, he's older / apparently past his prime. I can't see how he would compete with Flaherty in making the opening day roster. The infield is set:

2B - Schoop ® / Flaherty (L)

3B - Machado ® / Flaherty (L)

SS - Hardy ® / Flaherty (L)

I could imagine Nix being the sacrificial lamb for Chris Davis on day one, but that's his only shot. Otherwise, he is injury insurance, and hopefully we don't see much of him.

Doesn't sound like he has won a spot at all. He was terrible last year. He will be given a shot but I really hope Navarro wins the spot. Of course, Nix does have the opt-out clause and might very well leave the organization if he isnt on the OD roster.

Didn't see the opt-out reported....do you have a link?

Didn't see the opt-out reported....do you have a link?

It is part of new CBA. Former major leaguers that signed minor league deals have opts out at end of ST and June 1st. If a team assigns said player to the minors they must pay a retention fee of $100k I believe. Most players opt out but end up resigning anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is part of new CBA. Former major leaguers that signed minor league deals have opts out at end of ST and June 1st. If a team assigns said player to the minors they must pay a retention fee of $100k I believe. Most players opt out but end up resigning anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Players with six years of major-league service time that sign minor-league deals now have what is called Article XX-B protection. Teams either have to put these players on the major-league roster or release them five days prior to the start of the MLB season. If they do neither, they must pay that player a $100,000 retention bonus. This is essentially a built-in out clause for veteran players. If you are an Article XX-B free agent, you also receive an automatic June 1 out clause if you're paid the $100,000. Most teams get around this retention bonus by releasing a player and then resigning him sometime before the five days prior to Opening Day

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/the-full-meaning-of-signing-a-minor-league-deal-021315

So they don't have to let them go. Just pay another 100k.

Nix is very much like a Ryan Flaherty except for two things: one, he's right handed, and two, he's older / apparently past his prime. I can't see how he would compete with Flaherty in making the opening day roster. The infield is set:

2B - Schoop ® / Flaherty (L)

3B - Machado ® / Flaherty (L)

SS - Hardy ® / Flaherty (L)

I could imagine Nix being the sacrificial lamb for Chris Davis on day one, but that's his only shot. Otherwise, he is injury insurance, and hopefully we don't see much of him.

I agree with you that Nix is injury insurance. Might be only if Flaherty gets hurt.

And thanks to Crazysilver03 for that clearly stated summary of MLB players on minor league contracts and the terms of their opt-out clauses.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/02/os-sign-jayson-nix-to-minor-league-deal.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>O's sign Jayson Nix to minor league deal (plus Duquette quotes) - School of Roch: Executive vice president Dan... <a href="http://t.co/hm5BjsNtkW">http://t.co/hm5BjsNtkW</a></p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 17, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is a dumpster move...this guys is a liability with the bat. Can't hit his weight and has no power. I'm fine with him at AAA but this is nothing to get excited about.

Archived