Arbitration -- What the hell are the Orioles doing?

Beef Supreme

Can't they avoid going to the hearing with de Aza? Projected at $5.9 MM by MLBTR, his agent is asking $5.65 MM, while the Orioles are offering $5MM. Seems to me that settling is smarter than fighting. I know it's not my money, but I'd bet a diplomatic offer of $5.4 MM, maybe with anothe $50K in incentives, would get the job done. Regardless of whether one likes the player or believes he is overpaid, is it really worth a couple hundred thousand dollars...to salt a wound? Make nice, reach a compromise and start the healing now.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't they avoid going to the hearing with de Aza? Projected at $5.9 MM by MLBTR, his agent is asking $5.65 MM, while the Orioles are offering $5MM. Seems to me that settling is smarter than fighting. I know it's not my money, but I'd bet a diplomatic offer of $5.4 MM, maybe with anothe $50K in incentives, would get the job done. Regardless of whether one likes the player or believes he is overpaid, is it really worth a couple hundred thousand dollars...to salt a wound? Make nice, reach a compromise and start the healing now.

If De Aza would prefer to just sign for 5.05 million I am certain the Orioles would accomodate. There is no wound. 5 million is plenty for De Aza. That's plenty of healing.

DD has already said they won't offer over $5M. DeAza is a free agent after the season so it's not the biggest issue if it hurts his feelings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This close why settle? You can probably agree 100% on the facts and comps presented and just state that you think that is good for number x rather than y.

I agree. With numbers this close, and only one more year in town, neither party has much to lose by going to arbitration.

Given the small gap, I sure hope Smouse isn't fired up here. I would think for the overall health of the situation, strenuous argument in this hearing would be highly counterproductive. Even if DeAza is a one year stopgap and the club projects Alvarez, Walker and Lough to outplay him in 2016, no need to poison the 2015 well.

Given the small gap, I sure hope Smouse isn't fired up here. I would think for the overall health of the situation, strenuous argument in this hearing would be highly counterproductive. Even if DeAza is a one year stopgap and the club projects Alvarez, Walker and Lough to outplay him in 2016, no need to poison the 2015 well.

I believe Russell will be at his best.

Note that Andy MacPhail never went to a hearing during his tenures spanning three organizations. This fight seems unnecessary and potentially negatively impacts the relationship with the player the Orioles project, at this time, as thier starting left fielder. It might even create bad feelings for players other than de Aza. To me, it's not worth the potential of minimal savings.

And I think it's likely the Orioles will lose the case. If so, absolutely nothing good comes from this process for the Orioles.

Note that Andy MacPhail never went to a hearing during his tenures spanning three organizations. This fight seems unnecessary and potentially negatively impacts the relationship with the player the Orioles project, at this time, as thier starting left fielder. It might even create bad feelings for players other than de Aza. To me, it's not worth the potential of minimal savings.

And I think it's likely the Orioles will lose the case. If so, absolutely nothing good comes from this process for the Orioles.

Why do you think it is likely they lose?

Archived