O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which doesn't make any sense to me. Flaherty and Cabrera seem somewhat redundant to me. Why pay 2.4 million for a guy with some legal/disciplinary baggage when you already have an extremely similar player on the roster, one who already fits in with the club?

Can Flaherty steal 30 bases?

No, he can not so they are not redundant. Flaherty is an in case of emergency type of player but a good one to have around if he is needed. Cabrera is a potential starter.

Can Flaherty steal 30 bases?

No, he can not so they are not redundant. Flaherty is an in case of emergency type of player but a good one to have around if he is needed. Cabrera is a potential starter.

Of course they are not exactly the same type of players, but they are very similar.

My point is even if Cabrera is a slightly better player than Flaherty, the marginal improvement is, in my estimation, not worth 2.4 million. We could save that money until the deadline and then use it toward fixing an actual hole rather than using it now for what might be a hole in the future, particularly in an area where we already have a decent amount of depth.

This is past a minor league deal. It is a major league deal worth $2.4M.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the B-Sun:

Cabrera having a minor league option was an important part of the deal, and if he doesn’t perform well, the Orioles are comfortable paying him significant money to play in Triple-A.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-closing-in-on-oneyear-deal-with-former-allstar-everth-cabrera-20150218-story.html

Considering we have Flaherty (and Nix stashed in the minors), this move doesn't make much sense to me unless they were planning on starting Schoop in AAA to work on his offense and extend his clock. If that's the thinking, I'm all for the move, but if we're just creating a situation where we're paying 2.4 million to a guy to take at-bats from Schoop, I don't really get it.

Based on the information we know, I agree with your thoughts here. The move makes little sense to me other than creating more competition, and at 2.4 million that's a high price just to try to motivate Schoop.

Of course they are not exactly the same type of players, but they are very similar.

My point is even if Cabrera is a slightly better player than Flaherty, the marginal improvement is, in my estimation, not worth 2.4 million. We could save that money until the deadline and then use it toward fixing an actual hole rather than using it now for what might be a hole in the future, particularly in an area where we already have a decent amount of depth.

Depth is nice but is it quality depth? Just because Navarro and Janish are middle infielders doesn't mean they'll necessarily help. Cabrera has the ability to be our lead off hitter and starting 2B. Schoop is not ready as evidenced in his play last year. If Schoop does get better offensively then Cabrera replaces our back up IF who has no upside or use outside of defense. Cabrera can be a pinch runner. I think you're selling him short by comparing him to Flaherty.

Depth is nice but is it quality depth? Just because Navarro and Janish are middle infielders doesn't mean they'll necessarily help. Cabrera has the ability to be our lead off hitter and starting 2B. Schoop is not ready as evidenced in his play last year. If Schoop does get better offensively then Cabrera replaces our back up IF who has no upside or use outside of defense. Cabrera can be a pinch runner. I think you're selling him short by comparing him to Flaherty.

As I said before, if this is what the team is thinking and they're going to stick Schoop in AAA, then I'm totally on board with the move. Otherwise, I don't really get it. I don't hate it; I just think it's a somewhat strange use of resources.

As I said before, if this is what the team is thinking and they're going to stick Schoop in AAA, then I'm totally on board with the move. Otherwise, I don't really get it. I don't hate it; I just think it's a somewhat strange use of resources.

Yeah, I'll admit it caught me off guard. It doesn't seem like a move the Orioles would make in that it could potentially be over 2 million down the drain. But now that it seems likely to happen I find myself excited about it. Speed has been lacking since Roberts was in his prime.

Archived