O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard to figure out what the O's are planning here. Cabrera hit even worse than Schoop did last season, and he has a trial coming up in April for driving under the influence of marijuana. Otoh, he had a 113 OPS+ the year before and was considered a very valuable "property" then - and they're paying him to be on the 25 man roster. Gotta figure he's at least taking Flaherty's spot. I don't think his lack of experience at 2B is a factor - I think the general assumption is - if you're a good SS, you can easily make the conversion to 2B.

I'm shocked. I had looked at Cabrera as one of the few remaining FA's of value, but never once considered the Orioles would be in on him.

Looks like DD is playing the "sign the last guys standing at a bargain price" game again. Good for him. Good thing we didn't trade DD to Toronto. :mwahaha:

I'm going to take away these positives, rather than dwell on the negatives:

1. Cabrera has a history of being successful in the major leagues.

2. He's not in a pitchers park anymore.

3. The Padres never stuck out to me as a team with a leader. In the same way you can see guys act smart under a leader like Ray Lewis, the Orioles have carved out a similar place for Adam Jones. Maybe Cabrera just needs guidance in his life.

4. This is the kind of speed the Orioles need on the basepaths.

Yish. I guess Dan and Buck are counting on the Orioles' clubhouse to keep him in line.

Buck says that he never has an issue with that. And if they don't fit, they are gone. On a one year deal, a major leaguer can be released during spring trains with a fraction owed.

Amazing they could find an infielder who put up a lower OPS than Schoop last season, but they did.

Well struck!

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to mdbdotcom again. I'm having trouble pronouncing Everth....:slytf: ?Por que? :scratchchinhmm:

Bottom feeding depth? I kid because #ILikeOurGuys #MeGustanNuestrosHombres

Buck says that he never has an issue with that. And if they don't fit, they are gone. On a one year deal, a major leaguer can be released during spring trains with a fraction owed.

I don't recall ever reading that Cabrera was a bad guy in the clubhouse, just a bad citizen in the world as a whole.

This year's Nelson Cruz? Wait for the market to drop until late in the offseason. Discount for PED and "attitude problems". Apparently if you are white and have long hair you can get busted for weed and be a fan favorite in SF. But if you have a Latin name in SD you have attitude problems. This guy has every incentive to focus and put up a monster year. I would take .260/.335/.650 with 30 SB from our leadoff spot over anything De Aza or Schoop is likely to produce.

Yeah, but that rarely seems to happen. When was the last time we released a player in spring training who we'd signed to a major league contract that winter?

In any event, I'm more concerned with whether we get the 2009/2013 version of Cabrera (.700+ OPS) or the 2010/2014 version (<.600 OPS). He could turn out to be a very useful player, or a bust. For $2.4 mm, it's not a huge risk. It's kind of like signing Alexi Casilla in 2013, though slightly more expensive (Casilla cost $1.7 mm).

It is hard to figure out what the O's are planning here. Cabrera hit even worse than Schoop did last season, and he has a trial coming up in April for driving under the influence of marijuana. Otoh, he had a 113 OPS+ the year before and was considered a very valuable "property" then - and they're paying him to be on the 25 man roster. Gotta figure he's at least taking Flaherty's spot. I don't think his lack of experience at 2B is a factor - I think the general assumption is - if you're a good SS, you can easily make the conversion to 2B.

Actually, he wasn't charged for the DUI

:The California Highway Patrol arrested Cabrera on Sept. 3 on suspicion of driving under the influence of marijuana. The district attorney's office later charged Cabrera with resisting arrest.

If convicted, the 28-year-old faces up to a year in jail. The office also cited him for possession of marijuana in a car, a vehicle code infraction that carries a fine of up to $100. No DUI charges were filed.:

But the resisting arrest and esp the domestic charge are huge red flags. I have no respect and do not want those type of players on a team I cheer for.

And if the amount of marijuana was a very small amount - who cares. Heck, more and more states are legalizing it in small amounts.

Archived