O's Sign Everth Cabrera

SticksandStones

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Come on, you are being obtuse here. Escalona was a minor league free agent with limited (none?) major league experience, who was making the minimum if he made the roster. That is not similar to Cabrera at all.

That was not the question. The question was have the O's DFA'd a guy on a major league contract in ST. I am not comparing him to Cabrera.

I think it is the issue of a one year deal actually. I could be wrong.

I think you're correct. Paragraph 7 (b)(2) of the standard players contract states the club can waive a player that doesn't "exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability". The CBA states the team must pay 30 days severance pay (Article IX Paragraph B)

Seems like it's open competition between Schoop and Cabrera in ST for the starting job - and it's up to Flaherty to step up and somehow change their minds. My guess is that Buck pulls for Flaherty but figures this is an opportunity to upgrade the team's talent.

I think you're correct. Paragraph 7 (b)(2) of the standard players contract states the club can waive a player that doesn't "exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability". The CBA states the team must pay 30 days severance pay (Article IX Paragraph B)

Thanks for going to the trouble to verify it for me.

Archived