Wieters DH'ing and Catching in Spring Training

SticksandStones

I don't know. Didn't take it as very optimistic. Won't throw in a game until March 18 and they were impressed he could carry his kid in has arm?

I'm not sure why Buck threw out that line about carrying his kid. Wieters has been throwing for a couple of months now, and last I heard was throwing well beyond the distance between home plate and 2B. The fact that he's scheduled to get behind home plate in games nearly three weeks before the season begins is mildly good news to me. That's plenty of time to scrape off the rust assuming he has no setbacks.

I'm not sure why Buck threw out that line about carrying his kid. Wieters has been throwing for a couple of months now, and last I heard was throwing well beyond the distance between home plate and 2B. The fact that he's scheduled to get behind home plate in games nearly three weeks before the season begins is mildly good news to me. That's plenty of time to scrape off the rust assuming he has no setbacks.

It had been simply long toss that he had been doing. Not throwing with velocity. Just building up the arm strength.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said having Wieters catch 1st game on March 17 is a conservative date. Could be sooner. Won't rush him, of course <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Buck said that if Wieters isn't ready to catch by Opening Day, he'll likely stay back in Sarasota instead of being on roster as DH. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">February 18, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very encouraging news!

The idea of carrying 3 catchers with Wieters DHing full-time was super-mega-BLEH.

Not to mention that it isn't worth losing say David Lough so we could carry three catchers while Wieters plays DH. The difference between Wieters at DH and Delmon Young at DH simply isn't that great.

From everything I have heard Manny is well ahead of last season's schedule.

Hardy's back worries me more then Manny's knees.

Fair point, but Manny seamed to be a slow healer from his last surgery. I believe last time, they kept saying he would be ready, until the last second, and well, he isn't ready.

Fair point, but Manny seamed to be a slow healer from his last surgery. I believe last time, they kept saying he would be ready, until the last second, and well, he isn't ready.

At this point last year Manny wasnt doing baseball activities. He's already hit in the cage and run the bases, and should be a full go in Spring Training.

I could see the smoke and mirrors act with Wieters being an issue this year, similar to Manny last year.

Archived