Tony-OH on Scott and Jeremy 105.7 at 5 PM today

weams

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Miller being on the O's and not being on the Tigers made a big difference in that series.

I do not think Miller was the difference in the O's winning the AL East.

Bullpen help is always available at the trade deadline.

I also don't think Gausman's sliders improves as much as it needs to if he is in the pen. Why throw a boarderline pitch when you have two plus pitches in hand?

I think Gausman could be the O's best starter by the all star break. I don't want to see that guy pitching in the seventh inning of a three run game.

So what do you do if all six starters pitch well in the spring?

If all six pitch well and are healthy I either trade one or put Norris/Gonzo in the pen. I would lean toward Norris.

Norris won 15 games, put up a 3.65 ERA and makes $8.8 million and you are going to put him in the bullpen? On top of it, he'll be a free agent after the season. Wouldn't he have more value in compensation pick if he has another solid year as a starter? Besides, he's pitched two games in relief in his regular seasons career. The Orioles have no idea how he could hold up to pitching regularly in relief.

Wait for the phone to ring, and take your time weighing the offers from starter-poor teams in the hope one of them will offer to trade a big bat for Chen or Norris.:o

So you trade one and then someone comes up hurt. Instead of having Gausman in the pen able to get stretched out and replace them, you now have to hope Wilson, Wright or Davies is ready to step up.

Norris won 15 games, put up a 3.65 ERA and makes $8.8 million and you are going to put him in the bullpen? On top of it, he'll be a free agent after the season. Wouldn't he have more value in compensation pick if he has another solid year as a starter? Besides, he's pitched two games in relief in his regular seasons career. The Orioles have no idea how he could hold up to pitching regularly in relief.

Pitching wins mean nothing to me. His FIP was 4.22. Like I said, him or Gonzo. I would rather get less efficiency out of someone in a walk year then someone still under team control for 2+ more years.

What about if five pitch great and Ubaldo doesn't? What if he sucks and has no control? Do you try to pass him through waivers?

If Ubaldo is still struggling, they can try pass him through waivers all they like, no one is going to take on his contract and they will be on the hook for the entire thing. Unless he's injured or totally ineffective this spring, he's going to be in the rotation. So we know Chen and Tillman are in the rotation no matter what, so it comes down to Gonzo, Norris and Gausman. One of them has to go to the pen and Gausman is the only one with some history of pitching well in that role.

All logic points to Gonzo to the pen if one of the six goes. You artificially supress his salary for the 2016 season. He is likely to cause the least amount of problem after Gausman. He also has more bullpen experience than Norris.

I'd be OK with Gonzo. It was more of a 51/49 lean. I figured Tony would prefer one name to two.

Pitching wins mean nothing to me. His FIP was 4.22. Like I said, him or Gonzo. I would rather get less efficiency out of someone in a walk year then someone still under team control for 2+ more years.

That doesn't make sense. Why would you not want to get the most value as you can out of the guy who will be a free agent? He'll bring better compensation. The guys we have under control we'll get cheaper. I'd send Gonzo to the pen before Norris, but if they all are pitching well this spring, I'd still send Gausman to the en because he would definitely improve the bullpen and improve the team overall.

That doesn't make sense. Why would you not want to get the most value as you can out of the guy who will be a free agent? He'll bring better compensation. The guys we have under control we'll get cheaper. I'd send Gonzo to the pen before Norris, but if they all are pitching well this spring, I'd still send Gausman to the en because he would definitely improve the bullpen and improve the team overall.

Of course he would do well in the bullpen, he has the best stuff on the staff. It is also possible that he could contribute the most to the starting rotation and starting is more important then the bullpen.

As for why I would rather send the guy in his walk year to the pen, I don't want to screw up someone that I will be relying on for more years. But like I said earlier, I would be fine if it was Gonzo instead.

Gausman has too high a ceiling.

Archived