3 rules to speed up the game.

kelsey59

One thing I have not heard mentioned as to reason for longer games, IMO is the dilution of MLB talent when additional teams were added. I like the idea of more teams, etc., but the ERA is higher on ave., the BA is lower on ave., more pitches are thrown now on ave., than before expansion. Also, probably more base runners, and I am sure other things I have not mentioned. Of course, things like commercial breaks, etc. are big reasons for the length of games. Just had not heard anyone talk about expansion(dilution of talent) as a reason.

I think ERA's are down. Even with the DH. Also, I think that expansion of talent bases (globally) has actually increased the level of talent in the MLB.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 minutes shorter would be a big difference. The increases in game time have mostly been imperceptible too. I am in favor of all three rule changes, although I'm not sure how you implement the rule that a manager has to challenge a call from the dugout. Does that mean that a manager can't talk to an umpire to determine what the ruling on the field was and therefore whether it is reviewable?

10 minutes shorter would be a big difference. The increases in game time have mostly been imperceptible too. I am in favor of all three rule changes, although I'm not sure how you implement the rule that a manager has to challenge a call from the dugout. Does that mean that a manager can't talk to an umpire to determine what the ruling on the field was and therefore whether it is reviewable?

The average fan knows what can and can't be challenged. So the coaches should too but if they don't, I would think it should be part of the umps requirements for the job. I know there have been times where they go to review and have to be told it isn't reviewable, but that's unacceptable for a ump.

One thing I have not heard mentioned as to reason for longer games, IMO is the dilution of MLB talent when additional teams were added.

I think there's very good evidence that the quality of MLB is significantly higher today than it was before expansion started. There are a lot of (mostly indirect) ways to measure quality and the large majority of them point to quality of play increasing over time, right through expansions (although there are small negative blips for a year or two after expansions, wars, etc).

I like the idea of more teams, etc., but the ERA is higher on ave., the BA is lower on ave., more pitches are thrown now on ave., than before expansion. Also, probably more base runners, and I am sure other things I have not mentioned.

Even if expansion did dilute the talent base that wouldn't impact things like ERA, BA, number of baserunner or necessarily the number of pitches thrown. For example, the MLB walk rate was 40% higher than today in parts of the 40s and 50s despite a much larger strike zone. It's a zero-sum game, if you had worse hitters facing worse pitchers the averages would be the same. So unless there was some kind of asymmetrical dilution of talent there's no reason league rates or totals would change.

Another example is all of the minor leagues with far lower quality of play than MLB. Last year MLB saw 2.88 BB/9, 4.07 R/G, and a .251 BA. The NY-Penn League, which is about five levels below the majors and nothing like MLB quality players, saw 2.9 BB/9, a .251 BA, and 4.15 R/G.

Of course, things like commercial breaks, etc. are big reasons for the length of games. Just had not heard anyone talk about expansion(dilution of talent) as a reason.

Because it didn't have any impact.

I am interested in how these rules are to be enforced.

1) Managers must make challenges from the dugout... So if a manager cones out to argue he immediately loses the right to challenge the play? Often a manager comes out to protect his player and prevent the player from getting tossed. And managers arguing with umps, to me, is a long standing and enjoyable tradition, especially in this town, that I would hate to see eliminated. I don't want baseball to become the NFL... Corporately regulated down to the color of socks you want to wear with the league being a monolithic PR machine. Quirky traditions like managers arguing and kicking dirt are fun, IMO, and well suited to a game that is played 162 times a year and not a bombastic weekly spectacle like football.

And have they said what the penalties are for violating the other two rules? Is a strike called if the batter steps out of the box? Is a ball called if the pitcher doesn't throw the first pitch of the inning at the proscribed time? How will he know the right time? I would hate to see a clock in the stadium displayed prominently like a football play clock, with fans keeping an eye on it to see if the pitcher "gets the play off in time". So counter to the natural pace and flow of the sport we all grew up with. But without such a clock, how do you enforce things.

Without penalty and enforcement, new " rules" are basically just suggestions. But I fear that if you codify and enforce these things to the letter, you will wind up with countdown clocks and players trying to game the system.

What's next? An instant replay review to determine if the batter really did step out of the box and this stroke three should be called on him? Let's look at it in slow mo to determine whether his foot crossed the line of the batters box.

Whatever. Part of baseball's appeal for me is its pace. I don't have a problem with pace of play. I just hope that in MLB's attempt to appease the football crazed populace they don't screw it up for the rest of us. No pitch clock please.

I feel like this whole discussion, which I think is an attempt to bring in more fans, has created or exasperated a problem. Now everyone seems to have some position staked out in the pace of play "crisis" affecting the game today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) Managers must make challenges from the dugout... So if a manager cones out to argue he immediately loses the right to challenge the play? Often a manager comes out to protect his player and prevent the player from getting tossed. And managers arguing with umps, to me, is a long standing and enjoyable tradition, especially in this town, that I would hate to see eliminated. I don't want baseball to become the NFL... Corporately regulated down to the color of socks you want to wear with the league being a monolithic PR machine. Quirky traditions like managers arguing and kicking dirt are fun, IMO, and well suited to a game that is played 162 times a year and not a bombastic weekly spectacle like football.

And have they said what the penalties are for violating the other two rules? Is a strike called if the batter steps out of the box? Is a ball called if the pitcher doesn't throw the first pitch of the inning at the proscribed time? How will he know the right time? I would hate to see a clock in the stadium displayed prominently like a football play clock, with fans keeping an eye on it to see if the pitcher "gets the play off in time". So counter to the natural pace and flow of the sport we all grew up with. But without such a clock, how do you enforce things.

Without penalty and enforcement, new " rules" are basically just suggestions. But I fear that if you codify and enforce these things to the letter, you will wind up with countdown clocks and players trying to game the system.

What's next? An instant replay review to determine if the batter really did step out of the box and this stroke three should be called on him? Let's look at it in slow mo to determine whether his foot crossed the line of the batters box.

On that last point, I can only imagine one fan base getting upset about a non-call costing them. Look what's happened to the nfl. They're making money hand over fist, but games are becoming more frustrating to watch and discuss as discourse seems to revolve around penalties called/not called at an increasing rate, rather than individual plays.

The only penalties are progressive fines from $100 to $500 dollars. The only penalties.

I like to call it the David Ortiz rule ;)
Told you :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>David Ortiz said today he ?might run out of money? due to fines for stepping out of the box. Fines, however, are not only possible penalty..</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Told you :D

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>David Ortiz said today he ?might run out of money? due to fines for stepping out of the box. Fines, however, are not only possible penalty..</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">February 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And 6+ infractions will lead to suspensions. Seems they are taking it quite seriously.

Good. Ortiz can keep his fat as in the box. Pedroia and Swisher were also whining about it. All guys I hate.

I am irked beyond belief at how the former hitters are trying to spin being able to step out of the box. One of them even tried to claim advanced analytic increases the information the batter has to process between pitches.

They do need to correct batter's abusing time in the batter's box, it is absurd. You are there to bat, not look pretty. Let's go...

But does anyone find it funny while trying to speed up the game with challenging from the dugout and time in the box WHILE not calling the low strike and hence increasing offense? More offense will SLOW down the game.

Morons.

They do need to correct batter's abusing time in the batter's box, it is absurd. You are there to bat, not look pretty. Let's go...

But does anyone find it funny while trying to speed up the game with challenging from the dugout and time in the box WHILE not calling the low strike and hence increasing offense? More offense will SLOW down the game.

Morons.

First off they are only observing the strike zone this year.

Secondly more then shortening the actual length of games they are attempting to limit the amount of dead time.

First off they are only observing the strike zone this year.

Secondly more then shortening the actual length of games they are attempting to limit the amount of dead time.

I don't know if the data backs it up, but I've always felt that Yankee meetings at the mound seemingly every batter is one of the biggest time sinks in the game.

Archived