MASN: Steve Meleswski with Brian Graham - We are absolutely one of the premier development systems

weams

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zero thirty HR seasons.

If you don't hit a bunch of HR some folks don't consider you an impact bat.

My apologies. I didn't realize there were only 11 impact bats in Major League Baseball last season. And two of them were Chris Carter and Lucas Duda. Because when you're talking impact bats, you're talking Dudas (Dudae?).

My apologies. I didn't realize there were only 11 impact bats in Major League Baseball last season. And two of them were Chris Carter and Lucas Duda. Because when you're talking impact bats, you're talking Dudas (Dudae?).

You can spin the dial back to 25 HR if you like.

I think folks really underestimate how good Matt is. Somehow the prospect hype is still shrouding his actual play.

You can spin the dial back to 25 HR if you like.

I think folks really underestimate how good Matt is. Somehow the prospect hype is still shrouding his actual play.

Any system that considers Chris Carter a better (or more valuable, impactful or whatever adjective you favor) baseball player than any of the Orioles players I mentioned is a flawed system.

In the past 5-7 years, has our farm system ever been ranked #10 or above by Baseball America? That's a genuine question. I would be surprised if the answer is yes.

And if we have never been in the to #10, is it because we supposedly traded our good prospects for Major League talent? Like, would we have been in the top 10 if we held onto Josh Hader or Eduardo Rodriguez or Nicky Delmonico? Again, I doubt it.

I'm dubious about our farm system being actually good. All the players who have contributed in our system were 1st round picks with the exception of Britton and Schoop.

Markakis, Wieters, Gausman, Machado, Matusz were all drafted #7 overall and above. Im sorry. Really, I wish our system was better and I hope it will be someday. But, I see Graham's comments as hype.

I have lots of folks that are better researchers than myself to rely upon. I am not a baseball researcher. You are right about Jones. I was not a big fan of Joe Jordan's draft depth. I do like that we have accumulated enough arms to impress other teams five times that I recall recently.

I was just teasing about the research, by the way. Absolutely no negative intended. I enjoy your bold statements of opinion.

In the past 5-7 years, has our farm system ever been ranked #10 or above by Baseball America? That's a genuine question. I would be surprised if the answer is yes.

And if we have never been in the to #10, is it because we supposedly traded our good prospects for Major League talent? Like, would we have been in the top 10 if we held onto Josh Hader or Eduardo Rodriguez or Nicky Delmonico? Again, I doubt it.

I'm dubious about our farm system being actually good. All the players who have contributed in our system were 1st round picks with the exception of Britton and Schoop.

Markakis, Wieters, Gausman, Machado, Matusz were all drafted #7 overall and above. Im sorry. Really, I wish our system was better and I hope it will be someday. But, I see Graham's comments as hype.

Got it on my first try...#9 in 2009 http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2009-organization-talent-rankings-7865/

To be a baseball fan that doesn't consider Brian Roberts, Manny Machado, Matt Wieters, and Nick Markakis impact position players is beyond embarrassing.

Oh please, take off the orange sunglasses. To me, an impact player is a Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Giancarlo Stanton. I realize these guys are special and don't come along every year, but every major league team has developed at least one superstar position player through their farm system in the last 30 years, except the O's and maybe the Cubs(and the Cubs farm system is loaded this year).

Can you really call Wieters, Markakis, Roberts etc. superstars? They're all above average hitters(in their prime), and Wieters is the only one w/even occasional power. All good players, but if that's the best you have since the Reagan administration, that's pretty bad. And with Wieters, we all expected Johnny Bench, or Carlton Fisk, or Mike Piazza when Matt came up and offensively he's fallen short of

expectations.

To me the jury's still out on Machado. He's good and could become great, but can't stay healthy. I hope he's not the second coming of Jeffrey Hammonds(another overhyped O's prospect)

Oh please, take off the orange sunglasses. To me, an impact player is a Mike Trout, Miguel Cabrera, Giancarlo Stanton. I realize these guys are special and don't come along every year, but every major league team has developed at least one superstar position player through their farm system in the last 30 years, except the O's and maybe the Cubs(and the Cubs farm system is loaded this year).

Can you really call Wieters, Markakis, Roberts etc. superstars? They're all above average hitters(in their prime), and Wieters is the only one w/even occasional power. All good players, but if that's the best you have since the Reagan administration, that's pretty bad. And with Wieters, we all expected Johnny Bench, or Carlton Fisk, or Mike Piazza when Matt came up and offensively he's fallen short of

expectations.

Told you it was about home runs.

If I felt like getting into a pointless argument I would say that Machado looks like someone who will hit for significant power in the future and Schoop might hit more HR this year then Matt or Nick ever have in a season.

Told you it was about home runs.

If I felt like getting into a pointless argument I would say that Machado looks like someone who will hit for significant power in the future and Schoop might hit more HR this year then Matt or Nick ever have in a season.

Oh yes the old "he MIGHT do this" argument. How many times have O's fans heard that over the years?

And BTW I never said it was all about power. When was the last time the O's developed a consistent .300 hitter?

expectations.

To me the jury's still out on Machado. He's good and could become great, but can't stay healthy. I hope he's not the second coming of Jeffrey Hammonds(another overhyped O's prospect)

Before Trout the best position player that the Angels developed was probably Tim Salmon. The Giants haven't developed a great hitter in your time frame, nor have the Padres. The Red Sox haven't developed anybody in the last 30 years that meets your standard either.

Oh yes the old "he MIGHT do this" argument. How many times have O's fans heard that over the years?

And BTW I never said it was all about power. When was the last time the O's developed a consistent .300 hitter?

Schoop hit 16 HR in 481 AB despite hitting a woeful .209.

I don't think it is at all a stretch to project him as a future 25+ HR hitter.

If your standard is Stanton, Cabrera, and Trout then more than half the league hasn't developed an impact hitter. Derek Jeter isn't that level of hitter so the Yankees are out. David Wright isn't at that level and he is the best hitter the Mets have developed in 30 years. The Red Sox are definitely out, the best hitter they have developed in 30 years is probably Kevin Youkilis.

Archived