What statistical outcome do you see from full seasons of Machado and Weiters?

NAR-lOve

I think those numbers look a little low on Wieters...

His career line is .257/.320/.423/.743. He's only had one season (2013) with an OBP lower than .319. Further, his last three full seasons he has eclipsed those home run numbers? Are you predicting further struggles by Wieters (using 2013 as "struggle")?

Yeah, I'm predicting kind of a 2013-type struggle for him. He'll be 29 in May, so he's right around that decline age for catchers. That coupled with the long layoff and TJ, I don't see him matching his career averages. Hope I'm wrong.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Matt Wieters does not have a good year, he will cost himself 50 million dollars. I figure Manny is a superstar when healthy. Six years from his prime. I assume that Travis Snider is better than Nick Markakis this season. In every way.

That's bold about Snider and Markakis. I did not like Snider at all last year in the Burgh.

I think the Os lineup is better than the Braves and with Nick taking a step back defensively last year, I don't think it's a long shot. But we'll see.

That's bold about Snider and Markakis. I did not like Snider at all last year in the Burgh.

I think the Os lineup is better than the Braves and with Nick taking a step back defensively last year, I don't think it's a long shot. But we'll see.

Snider is a drop off from Polanco, McCutchen, and Marte.

I'm a little more bullish on the homers. I think full seasons get us about 50 homers between the two. Let's call it 25 and 25 for now.

I've said it before but manny's power looked a lot better than I thought it would in the back half of the season before we lost him. Some balls really started carrying for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying to be conservative. And Manny did play a good part of the season. I hope for 50 or more too.

I'll take a crack.

2015 Predictions:

Wieters: 543 PA .258/.320/.428/.748 (22 doubles, 21 HR)

Machado: 575 PA .289/.336/.478/.814 (35 doubles, 5 triples, 19 HR)

TOTAL: 1118 PA .274/.328/.454/.782

Last year:

Cruz 668 PA .271/.333/.525/.858

Nick 704 PA .276/.342/.386/.729

TOTAL: 1372 PA .273/.339/.452/.791

Not much difference there although Cruz and Markakis have 254 more plate appearances in this scenario. They were exceptionally durable.

If Matt and Manny can manage to stay on the field, they should provide comparable offense when they're out there, but there's no way they'll combine for 1372 PAs.

I don't see Wieters and Manny making up for Cruz and Markakis. However, as a team I think there are several other players that may have better years.

De Aza 747 OPS

Pearce 843 OPS vs 930 last year

Davis 858 OPS vs 704 last year

Machado 800 OPS vs 755 last year

Wieters 744 OPS vs 839 last year

Hardy 697 OPS with 19 HRs vs 682 last year

Cabrera 654 OPS

Schoop 648 OPS vs 598 last year

Young 770 OPS vs 779 last year

Jones 810 OPS vs 780 last year

Joseph 668 OPS vs 618 last year

I'm not counting on much for Snider 702 OPS

Overall I see the team leading the league again in homers with at least 202.

I have about 400 at bats at DH and RF that I haven't figured out how they might be filled. There are too many options. Lough, Hassan, Reimold, Tuisosopo, Parmelee, Lavarnway, Alvarez, or Urrutia.

Bottom line though is that I think the team has a offense that is at least as good as last year. And a better pitching staff and defense.

o

If Wieters has a good season defensively, I will be happy if he hits at least 20 HR's and 25 doubles, regardless of his batting average and/or his on-base percentage.

In addition to having a very good/great season defensively, I will be happy if Machado hits at least 30 doubles, bats at least .270, has an on-base percentage of at least .320, and makes good decisions while he is running the bases.

Anything more than that from either player would be the proverbial icing on the cake for me.

IMHO, the most important thing about Wieters and Machado being in the lineup consistently is that it will make it longer. Once they were both gone last year, we had a six-man lineup. With them in there, it should be solid from 1-8 (we'll see what we get out of 2b). This will change how opposing managers use their bullpens.

I expect we will score more runs this season than last, even without Cruz in the lineup.

Archived