Cintron signs with Cubs

birdsfan4ever

There is still a severe lack of depth at middle infield. If Roberts get traded the front line guys are AAAA players at best and I couldn't even name the backups.

LH, Bynum, Fahey

Then what? This doesn't leave much room for failure or injury.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something that has really been bothering me about the Roberts trade. If we were to trade Roberts to the Cubs for the discussed package (Gallagher, Cedeno, Murton). Who would lead off for us? I wouldn't see one player on the roster that could do it. If someone could answer that for me I would feel a lot better about dealing Roberts. Right now, I just don't like it.

I think this is a sign the BRob to Cubs deal is close.

Dave has said that the Cubs were looking at Cintron to be their UTi guy and that getting him makes it a lot easier for them to deal Cedeno.

Maybe the Cubs told the Orioles that they need will get the deal done with Cedeno in it but that we had to back off Cintron?

SG, the outcome might be the same but I will unequivocally guarantee this conversation did not happen. That would be collusion and could cost both teams alot.

Why would the O's want DeRosa back in the deal? We already have a couple of younger utility infielders...

He played everywhere except CF and C last year. DeRosa has a decent OBP and could be a legitimate lead-off man. He would be a cheaper option than keeping Roberts.

He played everywhere except CF and C last year. DeRosa has a decent OBP and could be a legitimate lead-off man. He would be a cheaper option than keeping Roberts.

I understand that but dude is older than Roberts. We already have younger utility guys for both the infield and outfield. No need for DeRosa.

Not really collusion....More of a professional courtesy between 2 good friends.

Every federal court judge in the country would disagree with you. Two buyers are agreeing to remove a buyer from the open market, which damages the players position. It is no differnet than say the Mets and Yankees both going after the best two players in baseball at the same time and the clubs agreeing which player they will bid on so they won't be competing with each other.

Believe it or not, I would probably bat Mora leadoff and bat Adam Jones second. We all KNOW that Melvin Mora has always had a better approach at the plate as a table setter than as a run producer. We have a better chance of Mora putting up numbers that will make him tradable if his approach is that of a table setter. I would look to bat Murton 2nd as the DH. Of course we still need to get rid of Payton, Millar and Gibbons unless they can be happy coming off the bench, which I doubt for all three of them.

Mora

Murton

Markakis

Hernandez

Scott

Huff

Jones

Cedeno

Hernandez

Is probably the best lineup we could have

I understand that but dude is older than Roberts. We already have younger utility guys for both the infield and outfield. No need for DeRosa.

Yeah I don't think that is what the O's are looking for and he is a pretty big part of the Cubs plans whether he is at second or a "supersub" next year, so outside of the value question I think he is not a good fit for a deal.

He would be much more likely to go in a Figgins deal since Chone can play so many positions.

Every federal court judge in the country would disagree with you. Two buyers are agreeing to remove a buyer from the open market, which damages the players position. It is no differnet than say the Mets and Yankees both going after the best two players in baseball at the same time and the clubs agreeing which player they will bid on so they won't be competing with each other.

Come on man, you're smarter than that... they wouldn't have that specific discussion... they would use code words etc that would have some implication but never actually sound like collusion. It's entirely possible...

Archived