Cintron signs with Cubs

birdsfan4ever

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First: I don't see this trade as being close as some think on this board. As someone mention earlier, Cintron is NOT the guy you let dictate a trade. I know, I know, you guys said that it does open up Cedeno for trade. But I don't buy it. Cedeno is younger, faster, and better then Cintron. Why would the Cubs want to replace Cedeno with Cintron? Because he switch-hits (poorly, might I add)? It's it because he can play 2B/3B/SS? Hello, DeRosa is every bit as versatile if not moreso then Cintron, and he is significantly better then Cintron with the bat.

Second: Speaking of DeRosa, the rumor that doesn't die with the Cubs, is that the Cubs---pending the Roberts situation completion or not---would move DeRosa to Toronto in a deal for AJ Burnett. That's a rumor that won't die.

Third: Pie is not going anywhere, at least NOT in the Roberts deal. I mean you guys got Markakis/Scott/Jones already penciled in at OF. Plus unless you move them, you also have Payton and Huff. There is no room for Pie, and Felix is too good/talented for another yr in AAA. Pie in this deal, doesn't make sense.

As I mention earlier, I don't see this trade as close as some thing, even after the Cubs signing of Cintron. Could it happen, sure, but you guys do realize that your "insiders" have said a "deal" is close so many teams, that us Cubs fans on our site (nsbb.com) have become jaded. I'm not calling your insiders liars, but I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting on a Brian Roberts deal. Most Cubs fans are tired of all this Roberts talk. Make the trade, or kill it.

First: I don't see this trade as being close as some think on this board. As someone mention earlier, Cintron is NOT the guy you let dictate a trade. I know, I know, you guys said that it does open up Cedeno for trade. But I don't buy it. Cedeno is younger, faster, and better then Cintron. Why would the Cubs want to replace Cedeno with Cintron? Because he switch-hits (poorly, might I add)? It's it because he can play 2B/3B/SS? Hello, DeRosa is every bit as versatile if not moreso then Cintron, and he is significantly better then Cintron with the bat.

Second: Speaking of DeRosa, the rumor that doesn't die with the Cubs, is that the Cubs---pending the Roberts situation completion or not---would move DeRosa to Toronto in a deal for AJ Burnett. That's a rumor that won't die.

Third: Pie is not going anywhere, at least NOT in the Roberts deal. I mean you guys got Markakis/Scott/Jones already penciled in at OF. Plus unless you move them, you also have Payton and Huff. There is no room for Pie, and Felix is too good/talented for another yr in AAA. Pie in this deal, doesn't make sense.

As I mention earlier, I don't see this trade as close as some thing, even after the Cubs signing of Cintron. Could it happen, sure, but you guys do realize that your "insiders" have said a "deal" is close so many teams, that us Cubs fans on our site (nsbb.com) have become jaded. I'm not calling your insiders liars, but I'm not going to hold my breathe waiting on a Brian Roberts deal. Most Cubs fans are tired of all this Roberts talk. Make the trade, or kill it.

First: the Cubs would replace Cedeno with Cintron in a second if it meant they got Roberts. Like it or not, they obviously want him badly.

Second: I'm not sure how a rumored DeRosa-for-Burnett swap supports the idea that no Roberts trade is imminent. As a "rumor that won't die", though, it has a ways to go before it's in the "Roberts-to-the-Cubs" league.

Third: Pie is an exciting young player any rebuilding team could use. If the Willits rumors are true, the idea that the Cubs would give up Pie to get Roberts isn't completely ridiculous. Clearly, the Cubs aren't high on Pie as the answer this season. And like I said, they want Roberts badly. Payton and Huff they move when they get the chance. The 40 man thing is probably what's holding this deal up as much as anything else.

Finally, coming onto this site and whining about how irritating it is as a fan of another team to hear insider info that doesn't always pan out is pretty bad form, I think. Most people here are just as tired of this as Cubs fans are. It's not all about us. How would you like it if NSBB were suddenly overrun by Orioles fans criticizing Bruce Miles and Cubs players? We're guests here, I think we should act like it.

I mentioned about two weeks ago that my Oriole contact and I discussed a potential Roberts deal. I said to him we've got to get Chone Figgins from the Angels to lead off and help us in the speed department if Roberts is dealt and if Patterson doesn't come back (I think he'll be back). He said "I really like Figgins"....exciting player. My exact words for two years now. I was at the game this past season when I believe he had 4 or 5 hits and stole 2 or 3 bases. Mr Excitement! A crowd pleaser and a guy that upsets a lot of pitchers. If Figgins is rumored going to the Cubs he will be detoured to the Orioles. It would be great if we could get the Angels to take Mora in a 3 way deal. Figgins plays everywhere and is adequate at 3B. I would rather have Figgins at 3B and leading off and DeRosa at 2B. DeRosa is less expensive than Roberts and hits for a nice average and knocked in almost the same amount of runs as Roberts. If we can add Gallagher or Hill to round out this deal we will have continued our off season improvement plan.

The Roberts deal will be announced tomorrow or Wednesday.

So, you are saying that we would possibly be getting back Figgins, DeRosa, and a pitcher in a deal with the Cubs for Roberts?

I don't like that deal at all. We'd be getting back a 30 year old Figgins and a 33 year old Derosa for Roberts? No thanks. I'd rather keep Roberts unless we have plans to move both of those guys immediately.

Article in today' s Chicago Sun-Times is fairly explicit about the following:

1) Cubs need a leadoff hitter and Roberts is seen as an ideal fit

"The domino effect the switch-hitting Roberts could have in the leadoff spot is potentially huge, pushing the power-hitting Soriano down to bolster the middle of the order. Roberts also would free up Mark DeRosa to move around as a primary backup to at least five positions, significantly bolstering the bench."

2) The Cubs would like a 4th outfielder and seem to be describing a Jay Payton type player.

''We haven't landed another outfielder yet, and we had Ronny (Cedeno) play quite a bit in the outfield in Venezuela, so we thought it made sense,'' Hendry said. Adding an outfielder who can play all three spots and pick up chunks of time in center if necessary would mean a team with pennant plans doesn't have to lean as hard on Pie -- who hit .215 in an 87-game rookie effort last year -- or even-less-tested rookie Sam Fuld for every-day responsibilities.

Seems the need from the Cubs is clear and Roberts/Payton are a great fit. The key (and this has been debated for months and not news) is what the O's are getting back in return and whether there is enough value/upside...This is what is causing MacPhail to behave so methodically about this trade and in the end is counting on Hendry paying. Further given the type of talent coming back (complementary type players with some upside but no Adam Jones type of player), the intention must be to flip some of this talent or existing pitching for a top tier middle infield prospect.

Full article - http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/800770,CST-SPT-cub1.article

First: the Cubs would replace Cedeno with Cintron in a second if it meant they got Roberts. Like it or not, they obviously want him badly.

Second: I'm not sure how a rumored DeRosa-for-Burnett swap supports the idea that no Roberts trade is imminent. As a "rumor that won't die", though, it has a ways to go before it's in the "Roberts-to-the-Cubs" league.

Third: Pie is an exciting young player any rebuilding team could use. If the Willits rumors are true, the idea that the Cubs would give up Pie to get Roberts isn't completely ridiculous. Clearly, the Cubs aren't high on Pie as the answer this season. And like I said, they want Roberts badly. Payton and Huff they move when they get the chance. The 40 man thing is probably what's holding this deal up as much as anything else.

Finally, coming onto this site and whining about how irritating it is as a fan of another team to hear insider info that doesn't always pan out is pretty bad form, I think. Most people here are just as tired of this as Cubs fans are. It's not all about us. How would you like it if NSBB were suddenly overrun by Orioles fans criticizing Bruce Miles and Cubs players? We're guests here, I think we should act like it.

I was going to post a similar response. Well played sir.

New infielder Alex Cintron said he was an hour away from signing with Baltimore before the Cubs swooped in and gave him a minor-league deal. "I prefer to go to a winning situation, and I know the city well, and that's why I picked the Cubs," Cintron said. ...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-20-cubs-bits-chicagofeb20,1,3759976.story

Cubs snagged him an hour before he was going to sign with Baltimore?!!?! DOH.

Seems very weird to me...even though it may be as simple as how he put it. I know he can't be traded to Baltimore till after June, but the two teams being paired in trade rumors and then this happening...seems a little weird to me.

Probably just coincidence...

Someone on the Cubs convinced Cintron that he has a strong chance of making the 25-man roster. Cedeno is out of options. I don't know that intricacies of the Cubs backup situation, but I doubt there is room for both of them on the 25-man.

I don't think this means as much as the Wilkerson signing did, but it certainly looks like a signal that the Cubs are looking to move Cedeno (although not necessarily to the Orioles).

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-20-cubs-bits-chicagofeb20,1,3759976.story

Seems very weird to me...even though it may be as simple as how he put it. I know he can't be traded to Baltimore till after June, but the two teams being paired in trade rumors and then this happening...seems a little weird to me.

He can be traded, just he has a no-trade clause, essentially, until June and I would assume if he had a realistic shot at the 25-man roster, he would much rather be in Chicago then here.

I know that is true if a player signs a major league contract (unless they give permission)...but is that also true when a player signs a minor league contract?

Archived