Brent Harris: Gausman - "They Expect a Lot Out of Me"

weams

I've said it before, but I will say it again. I think one of the biggest improvements to the org as a whole over the dark years is that nothing will be handed to the top prospects. No matter how highly you were drafted, you will need to work and fight your way on to the major league club. Seems like Gausman has a good head on his shoulders. The development of him, Bundy, and Harvey could be instrumental to keeping this team's window open over the next several years.

I really want Gausman on the OD 25 man. But as a reliever. I've flip flopped myself on this so I can see the other side. But he'd get more out of being a force out of the pen, then pitching 5 innings a week in Norfolk. Then if he doesn't make the pen, will bring him up when an extra arm is needed. Then he'll get pushed back in case so and so doesn't make a start. No yo-yo'ing this year. He makes the team. He's the new Andrew Miller. At the beginning of the year when the starters are going short outings he can be a force. We really need to step on some necks right out of the gate and not let Boston or NYY get any momentum. And I don't want to hear that he will be the ace in the hole for later in the season, because we all know the big spenders will buy what they need at the deadline. Let the man dominate.

I've said it before, but I will say it again. I think one of the biggest improvements to the org as a whole over the dark years is that nothing will be handed to the top prospects. No matter how highly you were drafted, you will need to work and fight your way on to the major league club. Seems like Gausman has a good head on his shoulders. The development of him, Bundy, and Harvey could be instrumental to keeping this team's window open over the next several years.

Great post. I used to hate that when some guy who just had a good two-week run at Double-A would suddenly get promoted. I also agree that Bundy, Harvey and Gausman could represent the future. I definitely love Gausman. He's got a friggin' 100-mph fastball, which is always fun. But now he's learning to throw that 94-mph with location and movement. That's even scarier.

Archived