PressBoxOnline: Everth Cabrera Brought in to be Everyday Leadoff Hitter

weams

Cabrera has never played more than 115 games in a season. Schoop can continue his development in the majors even if he's not a full time player, IMO. I think Buck can find a very good balance with Schoop, Cabrera, and De Aza at 2nd and LF while giving Hardy a breather if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://riveraveblues.com/2014/12/scouting-free-agent-market-everth-cabrera-111100/

Cabrera is a switch-hitter who hasn’t done a whole lot against right-handed pitchers, meaning he wouldn’t even be on the heavy side of the platoon. He has zero power — he’s hit 21 homers in 3,522 career plate appearances between MLB and the minors — but that’s not his game, he’s a speedy leadoff type who steals bases, and he’s been quite good at stealing bases.

In fact, Cabrera has been one of the game’s most valuable base-runners over the last three years. That’s not just stealing bases either, I’m talking about going first-to-third on a single, scoring from first on a double, advancing on wild pitches, the whole nine. FanGraphs’ base-running stats say he’s been worth 16.0 runs on the bases since 2012, tenth most among the 223 players with at least 1,000 plate appearances during that time. He’s right behind noted base-runner Elvis Andrus (16.4 base-running runs) in 800 fewer plate appearances. Running the bases isn’t the most valuable thing in the world — 16.0 runs is about a win and half spread across three years — but it is Cabrera’s elite skill.

Everth’s best year at the plate came when he cut his strikeout rate by about one-third, though his swing rates on pitches both in and out of the zone were right in line with his career averages. His contact rates — 92.9% in the zone and 71.0% out of the zone — were much higher than his career averages (89.8% and 92.9%, respectively), however. That success could be attributed to some swing adjustments he made in Spring Training. Here are some details from Corey Brock back in March 2013:

“It’s more of a shorter, direct path to the ball,” manager Bud Black said of Cabrera. “It’s trying to keep the ball out of the air. He needs to work on line drive, down. That’s his challenge.”

“He and [hitting coach Phil Plantier] have been working real hard on his swing this winter,” Black said. “Everth spent a lot of time in Los Angeles working at a performance center. Then he would drive down to Phil’s house and work in his backyard.”

...the focus of the work was on Cabrera’s right-handed swing, and it showed in his performance against left-handed pitchers that year (169 wRC+). That success didn’t carry over into 2014 and his production from the left side of the plate has been trending downward as well. There is some tangible evidence suggesting the improved contact rates in 2013 weren’t a fluke, though it’s unclear why Cabrera was unable to repeat that success this past season.

For what it’s worth, Cabrera has done a very good job of slapping the ball on the ground and using his speed the last three years — his 65.6% ground ball rate since 2012 is the second highest in baseball behind Ben Revere (64.3%). (Derek Jeter is third at 65.5%, by the way.) That’s his game. It hasn’t turned into results outside of 2013, however. You have to really squint your eyes and hope Cabrera suddenly improves his contract rates again to see him as even a league-average hitter going forward. The base-running is nice, but that alone isn’t enough to keep a player in the lineup.

2009: Broken hamate in left wrist, suffered on a hit-by-pitch. Out 60 days. 2010: Two right hamstring strains. Out 49 total days. 2011: Broken hamate in right wrist, out 47 days. Left shoulder subluxation, out 33 days. 2012: Healthy! 2013: Left hamstring strain, out 17 days. 2014: Two left hamstring strains. Out 78 total days.

The author sure is confident without much in the way of concrete evidence.

The hurdle I can't quite get over in getting to the same conclusion is that if the Orioles wanted Schoop to spend a full year in AAA, why weren't they more aggressive in looking for a second baseman earlier in the offseason? Asdrubal signed long after Markakis and Cruz were off the market and signed for 1 year. If the O's wanted a 2B stop gap, he was there for the taking. Same goes for Bonafacio who the O's like and came relatively cheap. Rickie Weeks, Alberto Callaspo, and Mike Avilles were all lesser one year options at 2B that the O's could have looked into. Not only did they not sign any of those players, we didn't hear so much as a peep about them being interested. If the O's felt that Schoop would be better served starting at AAA, I think they would have acted sooner in bringing in a second baseman on a one year deal.

The Cabrera signing feels much more like a "might as well give it a shot" signing. There is certainly a chance that Cabrera will displace Schoop if that's how things shake out, but I don't buy the notion that he was brought in to start. Whoever they feel is best for the job will start at second. There is not anything substantial that indicates otherwise.

The author sure is confident without much in the way of concrete evidence.

The hurdle I can't quite get over in getting to the same conclusion is that if the Orioles wanted Schoop to spend a full year in AAA, why weren't they more aggressive in looking for a second baseman earlier in the offseason? Asdrubal signed long after Markakis and Cruz were off the market and signed for 1 year. If the O's wanted a 2B stop gap, he was there for the taking. Same goes for Bonafacio who the O's like and came relatively cheap. Rickie Weeks, Alberto Callaspo, and Mike Avilles were all lesser one year options at 2B that the O's could have looked into. Not only did they not sign any of those players, we didn't hear so much as a peep about them being interested. If the O's felt that Schoop would be better served starting at AAA, I think they would have acted sooner in bringing in a second baseman on a one year deal.

The Cabrera signing feels much more like a "might as well give it a shot" signing. There is certainly a chance that Cabrera will displace Schoop if that's how things shake out, but I don't buy the notion that he was brought in to start. Whoever they feel is best for the job will start at second. There is not anything substantial that indicates otherwise.

I agree with you. I think there will be competition at the 2B spot this spring, and that there is no preordained winner.

I agree with you. I think there will be competition at the 2B spot this spring, and that there is no preordained winner.

I disagree with you. I don't think there will be a competition, I think Dan has already decided what way the team will be going. Unless there is an injury or a drastic discrepancy in play I think it is a settled manner.

I think Buck has input.

I think Dan is the GM (equivalent).

Sounds like Buck and Dan have a great working relationship. Dan goes out of his way to say so at every opportunity, yet interestingly never mentions the guys above him. Undoubtedly Buck has input, but the impression I get is that most everybody at the working level is with the program. I think DD and his staff drive the personnel acquisitions (as it should be) and sometimes have to intervene to clean up the Teagarden's.

Sounds like Buck and Dan have a great working relationship. Dan goes out of his way to say so at every opportunity, yet interestingly never mentions the guys above him. Undoubtedly Buck has input, but the impression I get is that most everybody at the working level with the program. it think DD and his staff drive the personnel acquisitions (as it should be) and sometimes have to intervene to clean up the Teagarden's.

Teagarden is exactly what I thought of. Having said that, Schoop is no Teagarden (similar problem though). I think Corn may be right.

My prediction is this: Cabrera will be our best offseason acquisition.

I know everyone is in love with Travis Snider and all and don't let anyone say otherwise, but we need speed and a leadoff hitter. IF and it is an IF he produces, he could be HUGE.

If Schoop has a big spring with the bat he's not going anywhere. However, if Cabrera is hitting and Schoop is not, I could see Schoop getting optioned and Cabrera taking over second base. No matter what though, I do think this spring will have a lot to do it with it and nothing has be pre-ordained.

If Schoop has a big spring with the bat he's not going anywhere. However, if Cabrera is hitting and Schoop is not, I could see Schoop getting optioned and Cabrera taking over second base. No matter what though, I do think this spring will have a lot to do it with it and nothing has be pre-ordained.
I don't think it is so much the overall numbers with Schoop, they need to see clear improvement in plate discipline. In Cabrera they aren't giving up much on defense and they are getting a lead off hitter. It's on Schoop to do better than that.

Archived