Alex Hassan was designated for assignment

weams

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I also assumed it would be Paredes since he is out of options. BUT, thinking about it a little more, Paredes could be the extra player they keep on Opening Day while Davis is still suspended. His odds of passing through waivers are higher on the 2nd day of the season than they will be right now.

Good point on the waiver part (on 2nd day of season)....

I also assumed it would be Paredes since he is out of options. BUT, thinking about it a little more, Paredes could be the extra player they keep on Opening Day while Davis is still suspended. His odds of passing through waivers are higher on the 2nd day of the season than they will be right now.

This is very sound logic. Not too many teams snagging players a week into the season.

And agreed, saying they are surprised is a little over the top. Paredes, Clevenger, and Hassan were the top 3 candidates to lose their spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget, we signed Reimold after we claimed Hassan, which makes him a bit redundant. If we need a RH corner OF, Reimold is gonna be the guy getting the call (if healthy - big if).

I'm a little disappointed we're risking losing Hassan. The OBP, numbers vs. LHP, reportedly decent/good defense, and option all make him a great depth player as a platoon guy if any of our starting OF get hurt and have to be DL'd. The fact that he could cover CF was appealing, because if Jones gets hurt the only guys we have that can do it are De Aza, Lough, and Borbon, who are all lefties.

I think this is a good time to try to sneak somebody through waivers. Teams have been content with their 40 man rosters for a while, players have just reported but haven't really been given a chance to be evaluated yet. It's better than sometime later in ST, when teams know who they're going to end up cutting.

I do think we are going to DFA Paredes for Davis, because we like him and want to sneak him through to AAA...but we do have 2 rule 5 picks occupying spots on the 40 man, and there's no way we can keep both, so there's going to be a spot open for Davis no matter what. I think Hassan just slipped down the depth chart.

Most definitely he is at AAA.

I don't see it. Originally I was skeptical that we'd use Tuiasosopo at 3B because of his track record of teams moving him off 3B into the OF. However, the more outfielders we collect for AAA (e.g. Lough, Reimold, Alvarez, Urrutia, Borbon, Hassan), the less I'm comfortable saying that we'd have Tuiasosopo out there too.

If you consider that Paredes is the odd man out on the bench between Flaherty and Cabrera, I suspect that a DFA is coming, and you'll have both Tui and Pardedes playing 3B at AAA, with Nix, Navarro and Martinez in the middle infield.

We'll obviously know more as guys get cut in ST, but even more telling is that Bowie only has one option for 3B other than Almanzar, and that's a promotion for Esposito. I don't see it happening that way.

I don't see it. Originally I was skeptical that we'd use Tuiasosopo at 3B because of his track record of teams moving him off 3B into the OF. However, the more outfielders we collect for AAA (e.g. Lough, Reimold, Alvarez, Urrutia, Borbon, Hassan), the less I'm comfortable saying that we'd have Tuiasosopo out there too.

If you consider that Paredes is the odd man out on the bench between Flaherty and Cabrera, I suspect that a DFA is coming, and you'll have both Tui and Pardedes playing 3B at AAA, with Nix, Navarro and Martinez in the middle infield.

We'll obviously know more as guys get cut in ST, but even more telling is that Bowie only has one option for 3B other than Almanzar, and that's a promotion for Esposito. I don't see it happening that way.

Agree with all this. I took the original post as a suggestion that Almanzar might have a chance at the majors.

Good thought about Paredes. I was thinking Parmalee would be the man up because he plays first, but I agree that it would be the best time to pass Jimmy through.

It's highly unlikely that you see a guy who is not already on the 40-man roster (like Parmalee) take Davis's spot on Opening Day. They are not going to add a guy to the 40-man for one day only to have to DFA him again the following day.

And agreed, saying they are surprised is a little over the top. Paredes, Clevenger, and Hassan were the top 3 candidates to lose their spot.

Clevenger isn't losing his 40-man spot unless they decide to add Arencibia. They are not going to drop down to 2 catchers on the 40-man while Wieters is still a question mark.

It's highly unlikely that you see a guy who is not already on the 40-man roster (like Parmalee) take Davis's spot on Opening Day. They are not going to add a guy to the 40-man for one day only to have to DFA him again the following day.

That makes sense.

His status confuses me. He was granted FA by Minnesota this offseason, but has less than 3 years of service time. I'm guessing he signed one of those ML contracts out of the draft like Bundy did (?). EDIT: I guess being released and granted FA is the same according to bbref.

Was he out of options when he left Minnesota? If he was added to the 40 man, would they be able to shuttle him back and forth?

Let's just hope that Pearce doesn't throw his bat at the pitcher on OD because, besides Wieters, I don't know who you'd stick at first.

Edit: there should be an opening on the 40 man with the glut of relievers. Two without options will need to go unless they keep 8 relievers.

Clevenger isn't losing his 40-man spot unless they decide to add Arencibia. They are not going to drop down to 2 catchers on the 40-man while Wieters is still a question mark.

I don't think it really matters. You still have Ward and possibly Arrencibia in the minors.

Archived