MLB Network's top 100

33rdst

By fWAR last year the O's would have 3 in the top 100. Adam Jones, Steve Pearce, and J.J. Hardy. Hardy just squeaked in the backend of the top 100, and I'd bet MLBN's panel leans heavily towards offense like usual so it's not shocking he wasn't included. Steve Pearce was great last year but I doubt he's making any lists like this. No track record of production except an even smaller sample in 2013. The pitching ERAs look good but there's no flash that people get excited about. A rotation full of serviceable, middle rotation types. Relievers just don't belong in the top 100 unless they are completely ridiculous. There were 0 relievers in the top 100 by fWAR. In summation, I'm not at all surprised that Adam Jones will be our only representative... even if it's for different reasons than MLBN.

I just feel their methodology is internally inconsistent. I really don't care if anyone other than Jones is on the list. It's a team game and so long as the team plays well, I don't care whether they have five top 100 players and a bunch of average guys, or one top 100 player and a significant number of guys who are above average but not top 100. It's all about winning, not individual accolades.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By fWAR last year the O's would have 3 in the top 100. Adam Jones, Steve Pearce, and J.J. Hardy. Hardy just squeaked in the backend of the top 100, and I'd bet MLBN's panel leans heavily towards offense like usual so it's not shocking he wasn't included. Steve Pearce was great last year but I doubt he's making any lists like this. No track record of production except an even smaller sample in 2013. The pitching ERAs look good but there's no flash that people get excited about. A rotation full of serviceable, middle rotation types. Relievers just don't belong in the top 100 unless they are completely ridiculous. There were 0 relievers in the top 100 by fWAR. In summation, I'm not at all surprised that Adam Jones will be our only representative... even if it's for different reasons than MLBN.

Longoria is the only third baseman on the list to have a higher single season rWAR than Machado's 2013. Expecting Pablo Sandoval to have a better 2015 than Machado seems a little foolish to me, but that's why they play the games.

Longoria is the only third baseman on the list to have a higher single season rWAR than Machado's 2013. Expecting Pablo Sandoval to have a better 2015 than Machado seems a little foolish to me, but that's why they play the games.

Steamer projects Manny at 5.0 fWAR, Sandoval at 3.9. With respect to the top 100 list, what it boils down to is that Sandoval has a longer track record and was healthy in 2014. I don't think many people have reservations about how good Manny could be if he's healthy, but after two season-ending knee surgeries, the compilers of lists like these aren't going to go out on a limb.

Oh, I agree. This list is confusing for many reasons. It seems to weigh 2014 heavily for some guys and not much for others. I just don't put much stock into opinions on MLBN to begin with. Any baseball media outlet who lets Harold Reynolds on it often to give his opinions is not super credible :).

[ QUOTE=Babypowder;3737983]Oh, I agree. This list is confusing for many reasons. It seems to weigh 2014 heavily for some guys and not much for others. I just don't put much stock into opinions on MLBN to begin with. Any baseball media outlet who lets Harold Reynolds on it often to give his opinions is not super credible :).

Manny's ops was better than Sandoval last season. He's far better with the glove. Other than predicting further injury, I don't get how one could pick Sandoval over machado at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Jones no. 22. Fair enough, but....

Bryce Harper no. 24. WTF? That's ridiculous.

Bryce Harper was #22 last year, played 100 games with 1 WAR, and drops to #24. Manny Machado was #29 last year, played 82 games with 2.4 WAR, and drops out of the top 100. Makes sense.

Bryce Harper was #22 last year, played 100 games with 1 WAR, and drops to #24. Manny Machado was #29 last year, played 82 games with 2.4 WAR, and drops out of the top 100. Makes sense.

It's effin' insane! Oh well, I'm taking a deep breath and reminding myself that this stuff doesn't matter at all, and if anything, will light a fire under Manny, not that I think he needs any extra motivation.

That is one crazy list. Jake Arrieta is the 89th best MLB player right now!?! Tell me OH gang, who thinks the Orioles should trade Machado for Jake?

Ok, I hear those crickets chirping.

Is there any player whom you expect to make the 25 man roster that you would trade for Jake and his one good season?

That is one crazy list. Jake Arrieta is the 89th best MLB player right now!?! Tell me OH gang, who thinks the Orioles should trade Machado for Jake?

Ok, I hear those crickets chirping.

Is there any player whom you expect to make the 25 man roster that you would trade for Jake and his one good season?

Matusz, Flaherty, Hunter, Cabrera, Brach, TJ, Young.

So yea, bullpen guys and bench guys.

Archived