Davis in Right; Pearce at 1B?

wildcard

I keep wondering if they want to get a guy like Ryan Howard to DH/1b. I know there is a huge don't go after an older "name" player crowd but to me Howard fits the DD/ Buck MO perfectly. He can play first base when needed whike primarily DHing allowing Pearce and Davis to get moved around as needed. At OPACY Howard could really be a 30+ HR threat again (and one more DD success story).

I can see a lineup that includes:

Cabrera 2b

Manny 3b

Davis RF

Jones CF

Howard DH

Hardy SS

Wieters C

Snider LF

Pearce 1b

Having Davis takeover RF just opens a lot of options IMO.

It's not like the phillies ballpark surpresses homers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't see that. I thought Pearce was in his element at 1B. He played 1B very well IMO.

Pearce looked to be in the wrong place a couple of times. In fairness, if he had a chance to play 1B consistently, he would probably get some things ironed out.

Pearce looked to be in the wrong place a couple of times. In fairness, if he had a chance to play 1B consistently, he would probably get some things ironed out.

I think we saw a few instances where Davis's reach and athleticism would have helped with balls over pearces head or throws scooped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pearce looked uncomfortable at 1B, to me. If the Orioles are pushed to move Davis off of first, I hope it's because they believe they need to make room for Parmelee. They may not want to risk playing Parmelee in the outfield, if it can be avoided, but they may want his bat at some point in the future.

Note-that sould be spelled Parmelee. I used to know that...

Not Jay Gibbons uncomfortable. Pearce and Davis just look different, Davis smoother. Mark Reynolds didn't look comfortable either and despite some mental errors, he certainly made some outstanding plays there. I do however prefer Davis size at first.

That's easy to believe. Probably would show that for most players, especially of the corner outfield/firstbase ilk.

Who is the Orioles' best firstbaseman, according to the metrics?

The O's 1B on the 40 man are Davis, Pearce, Flaherty, and Walker. In 4400 innings, Davis is a -1 UZR 150, Pearce is +9.8 in 1090 innings, Flash is -76 in 39 innings and there is nothing on Walker.

The O's 1B on the 40 man are Davis, Pearce, Flaherty, and Walker. In 4400 innings, Davis is a -1 UZR 150, Pearce is +9.8 in 1090 innings, Flash is -76 in 39 innings and there is nothing on Walker.

I guess Pearce wins that. But I'd still go with Davis at 1B because of another stat: +4" height.

This is one of the reasons for playing ST games. If Pearce is having problems playing 1B, they can work on these probllems.

I'd say Davis is only behind Machado and Jones in terms of athleticism on the team. I remember him making a great play in Game 1 of the ALDS vs the NYY deep in the RF corner by that big garage door. I'm for whatever wins the most games. And I bet Boras would rather bring a RF'er than a 1B C.Davis to FA.

In baseball, cold numbers just do not tell the WHOLE story. They are a good start, but should be adjusted for a multitude of things, as instincts for the position, size, etc. IMO Davis is a better first baseman, and Pearce a better outfielder. Both give 110% all the time, so neither will let the team down very often, at least not for lack of effort.

Pearce was a good short term replacement for Davis last year. I don't see him as an everyday first baseman and I don't think Buck does either. Davis may play a few games in right just to add another left handed bat but I don't see him out there on a regular basis. Buck says a lot of things to "stir the pot." Whether it's a motivational device or something else who knows. We have too mant outfield candidates as it stands. Why add another when it is unnecessary. With Pearce, Snider, Young, Lough. DeAza, and Reimold, we have enough corner outfield options. I give a leg up to Snider and Lough because they're left handed. Anyway, all this will resolve itself over the next few weeks.

Archived