Getting JJ Power Back this Season?

justD

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0301-20150228-column.html

According to this article, JJ Hardy was able to focus a lot more on physical preparations this offseason than he might have otherwise, because of his contract extension. Having struggled with his back issues all year in 2014, he's worked on strengthening his core.

"It was a constant battle just to stay on the field. I feel like I did everything I could do. I definitely didn't feel like I could drive the ball the way my back was...I've been doing a ton of core and my back feels normal."
Instead of sweating out the free agent market, all Hardy had to worry about after that was a new offseason workout regimen that put greater emphasis on strengthening his core. He says his back feels fine now and he hopes to be a bigger part of another six-month Orioles home run derby this year.

Add to that the acquisition of Cabrera to allow Buck to rest JJ more often.

We may see a return to the power-hitting Hardy that we saw in his first seasons as an Oriole. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-column-0301-20150228-column.html

According to this article, JJ Hardy was able to focus a lot more on physical preparations this offseason than he might have otherwise, because of his contract extension. Having struggled with his back issues all year in 2014, he's worked on strengthening his core.

We may see a return to the power-hitting Hardy that we saw in his first seasons as an Oriole. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

I am very happy with our extension.

Getting 25 HRs from JJ would go a long way to offsetting the loss of Cruz.

Getting 20 from Wieters, 25 from Jones, 25 from JJ, 30 from Davis, 20-25 from Pierce, 20-25 from Manny, 20-25 from Schoop would be pretty awesome. Thats literally everyone except for De Aza who can put the ball out of the yard at any time.

I'm expecting a power bounce back from Hardy, though maybe not all the way back. I actually liked his approach at the plate last year, though. He hit a lot of key singles and doubles up the middle or two the opposite field in key situations.

I am not sold on Buck resting his core more often. Hopefully he will but that hasn't been his recent history.

Yeah I want to believe Buck will rest his regulars but I will believe it when I see it. Though there are decent back ups for the whole core now. Let's just not trot them all out on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm expecting a power bounce back from Hardy, though maybe not all the way back. I actually liked his approach at the plate last year, though. He hit a lot of key singles and doubles up the middle or two the opposite field in key situations.

Even with the back, he seemed better than his numbers ended up for the year. There's really no way to slice his offensive numbers up and make them seem good, even if you take his numbers from June 21st on (when he hit his first homerun), he's under .700 OPS from that point to the end of the year.

Except to note that he hit .315 with RISP and .341 with RISP/ 2 out. That's why he still seemed to have some value offensively.

It would be gravy if he gets his power back, but last year was still good enough.

Getting 20 from Wieters, 25 from Jones, 25 from JJ, 30 from Davis, 20-25 from Pierce, 20-25 from Manny, 20-25 from Schoop would be pretty awesome. Thats literally everyone except for De Aza who can put the ball out of the yard at any time.

I think this is incredible optimistic on JJ and Pearce. Really, I think 15 from JJ would be a great boost. We have to accept he is in decline offensively, but he's still worth the reasonable contract. Expecting Pearce to repeat his career-year is a lot. I think Snider and Pearce combining for 20-25 would be ideal.

Even with the back, he seemed better than his numbers ended up for the year. There's really no way to slice his offensive numbers up and make them seem good, even if you take his numbers from June 21st on (when he hit his first homerun), he's under .700 OPS from that point to the end of the year.

Except to note that he hit .315 with RISP and .341 with RISP/ 2 out. That's why he still seemed to have some value offensively.

It would be gravy if he gets his power back, but last year was still good enough.

Definitely seemed like he was more focused on hitting to the opposite field last year. His career ISO went from 161 to 104 though. Still his 93 OPS+ isn't too far out of line with his career average.

I think this is incredible optimistic on JJ and Pearce. Really, I think 15 from JJ would be a great boost. We have to accept he is in decline offensively, but he's still worth the reasonable contract. Expecting Pearce to repeat his career-year is a lot. I think Snider and Pearce combining for 20-25 would be ideal.

I like incredible optimism at this point in the season. It's not like we are in a team building stage. Both are possible though. No?

His defense is more important too. Doesn't need to hit HR's for me to be happy he

is an Oriole.

His defense is more important too. Doesn't need to hit HR's for me to be happy he

is an Oriole.

You can only take that logic so far. Cesar Izturis was a very good defensive SS for us for two years. You can argue Hardy has been a bit better defensively that Izturis, but it's reasonably close. It's the offense that has distinguished Hardy from Izturis.

It is interesting to hear how distracting the contract negotiations are for these millionaires, JJ/Ubaldo not working out. I guess they are just like the rest of us when we are in the middle of negotiations and possibly switching jobs/teams.

It is nice to hear JJ is much better physically entering 2015 and I agree that he can make up for some of the lost power from Cruz.

Archived