Getting JJ Power Back this Season?

justD

Even with the back, he seemed better than his numbers ended up for the year. There's really no way to slice his offensive numbers up and make them seem good, even if you take his numbers from June 21st on (when he hit his first homerun), he's under .700 OPS from that point to the end of the year.

Except to note that he hit .315 with RISP and .341 with RISP/ 2 out. That's why he still seemed to have some value offensively.

It would be gravy if he gets his power back, but last year was still good enough.

Offense was down last year. JJ's numbers weren't all that different (aside from homeruns) from 2013. He was only half a win worse last year compared to 2013, according to BBREF. Fangraphs valued him the same in 2014 as they did in 2013.

I think he was obviously struggling at times with some back issues. I don't think he suddenly lost the ability to hit HRs.

I think this is incredible optimistic on JJ and Pearce. Really, I think 15 from JJ would be a great boost. We have to accept he is in decline offensively, but he's still worth the reasonable contract. Expecting Pearce to repeat his career-year is a lot. I think Snider and Pearce combining for 20-25 would be ideal.

Do we? His offensive WAR last year was 2.2, just barely below the average of his time in Baltimore, and it very clearly was a result of the decline in slugging percentage and homers. I can buy into the we shouldn't be surprised if he does decline because of the nature of the position he plays, but to say we should accept he is already in decline is complete malarkey. JJ has been markedly consistent as an Oriole offensively, no matter how exciting or frustrating he's been.

I am fine with the 2013 or 2014 version of JJ or even average both seasons out... As long as his defense does not get worse he's a nice bat to have in the bottom half of the lineup.

I think Buck will be working in Cabrera at SS and 2B which will allow Hardy to rest more often.

Do we? His offensive WAR last year was 2.2, just barely below the average of his time in Baltimore, and it very clearly was a result of the decline in slugging percentage and homers. I can buy into the we shouldn't be surprised if he does decline because of the nature of the position he plays, but to say we should accept he is already in decline is complete malarkey. JJ has been markedly consistent as an Oriole offensively, no matter how exciting or frustrating he's been.

I agree with you. I do expect some decline over JJ's new contract, but I didn't take last year as the harbinger of a major decline.

I agree with you. I do expect some decline over JJ's new contract, but I didn't take last year as the harbinger of a major decline.

I think people just already have preconceived notions, some founded and some not, that shortstop over 30 equals a ticking time bomb to statistical oblivion. Add in the words back injury and that sends them over the edge. At the end of the day we're only talking about a three year deal.

I think people just already have preconceived notions, some founded and some not, that shortstop over 30 equals a ticking time bomb to statistical oblivion. Add in the words back injury and that sends them over the edge. At the end of the day we're only talking about a three year deal.

And shoulder issues, can't forget the shoulder.

JJ's three year average is 19 homers. That's where I've got him.

Maybe. He certainly doesn't appear to have the "oomph" to hit HR's to the opposite field, which seems to be a new focus, and which is probably not a bad overall approach these days.

I think this is incredible optimistic on JJ and Pearce. Really, I think 15 from JJ would be a great boost. We have to accept he is in decline offensively, but he's still worth the reasonable contract. Expecting Pearce to repeat his career-year is a lot. I think Snider and Pearce combining for 20-25 would be ideal.

I think we get 20-25 out of Snider alone. (But) I'm admittedly optimistic about the Snider pickup.

Archived