Jayson Stark: How Orioles can replace Nelson Cruz

wildcard

Not bad for a national sports writer from ESPN.

The Davis and Manny reports are all positive but Wieters says some things I have not heard him say before:

"I still have days where I feel like Opening Day could be here tomorrow and I'd be ready," he said. "And there are days where I'm glad it's still a little bit away. So I'll certainly keep pushing. And I think really this whole year, it's going to be a matter where you're not going to feel 100 percent. But hopefully, we can get as close to there as possible."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/12405900/how-baltimore-orioles-replace-nelson-cruz

Oh boy, I don't like the way that sounds. If Wieters is not 100 percent at any time this season, it will not be a good thing. Yes, the writing was kind of on the wall when we went out and scooped up a couple hundred (stretch) Catchers, but none of those options are real good.

Oh boy, I don't like the way that sounds. If Wieters is not 100 percent at any time this season, it will not be a good thing. Yes, the writing was kind of on the wall when we went out and scooped up a couple hundred (stretch) Catchers, but none of those options are real good.

That's a glass half empty reading of what Wieters said. I think wildcard had the exact opposite reaction.

I expected that Wieters would need more rest. Not catch as many days in a row. Start the season weeks late. Probably let Joseph catch vs running teams. I said that in my projection.

This is just the first I have seen that Wieters said it or anything close to say that he would not be 100%,

Davis: In the talk-show world, the big news is that he was approved for a therapeutic use exemption that allows him to take a prescription drug similar to Adderall (Vyvanse) to treat his ADHD condition. In the actual world, the big news is that Davis is finally over the strained left oblique that affected his swing from May on last year.

So, then maybe it's finally being accepted that Davis never fully recovered from the oblique strain and his TUE exemption, or lack thereof, had little to do with his drop in production.

Davis: In the talk-show world, the big news is that he was approved for a therapeutic use exemption that allows him to take a prescription drug similar to Adderall (Vyvanse) to treat his ADHD condition. In the actual world, the big news is that Davis is finally over the strained left oblique that affected his swing from May on last year.

So, then maybe it's finally being accepted that Davis never fully recovered from the oblique strain and his TUE exemption, or lack thereof, had little to do with his drop in production.

It sure hindered his production those last 24 games. ;)

I am sure Davis would have liked the crutch of having the TUE but he didn't have it all of 2013 when he had a great year. Injury and the shifts cost him. It caused him to get frustrated and take something he shouldn't have.

At time it seemed like he started his swing early to try and hit the fastball and was very very fooled on breaking pitches. And at other times it seemed like he was very late on fastballs and just tried to foul them off. He did not look comfortable at all. He also had a lot of hits taken away via the shift.

How is it that so many people think the Orioles will recoup lost production by being 100% healthy? It almost never happens.

I would take 72% healthy As long as Manny and Matt and Adam and J.J. are part of the the healthy grouping. When half that group is down, well, then we need Nelson.

How is it that so many people think the Orioles will recoup lost production by being 100% healthy? It almost never happens.

I don't think anyone is asking or expecting for 100% health. It's reasonable to hope that health issues don't sideline 2 of our best players for the majority of the season.

I am not sure how you can say 100 percent. He is a catcher. They get banged up all season long.

Archived