If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know' date=' I know, it was only the first spring training game, but... if he doesn't improve with his control all spring, what do you do with him? Fake injury? Bullpen? Roll with him? Put him on waivers?[/quote']

Let him start ten games. And then see where we are.

I know' date=' I know, it was only the first spring training game, but... if he doesn't improve with his control all spring, what do you do with him? Fake injury? Bullpen? Roll with him? Put him on waivers?[/quote']It is too early to judge. Madison Bumgarner truly sucked during his ST debut today. He gave up 4 runs in 1 2/3 innings. And I don't see anyone calling for Bumgarner's release or to be moved to the bullpen. There is a good chance that Ubaldo's disastrous ST outing was just one of those things and he'll do a lot better in the future.

However, if it turns out after all of ST that Ubaldo needs more work on his control, then he should be assigned to the bullpen and he can work with Wallace and Chiti on his mechanics. You can't just keep sending him out to get shellacked, lose games, and be booed by Os fans.

I don't think that faking an injury will accomplish anything (not sure how legal it is). And it's far too early for an outright release.

It is too early to judge. Madison Bumgarner truly sucked during his ST debut today. He gave up 4 runs in 1 2/3 innings. And I don't see anyone calling for Bumgarner's release or to be moved to the bullpen. There is a good chance that Ubaldo's disastrous ST outing was just one of those things and he'll do a lot better in the future.

However, if it turns out after all of ST that Ubaldo needs more work on his control, then he should be assigned to the bullpen and he can work with Wallace and Chiti on his mechanics. You can't just keep sending him out to get shellacked, lose games, and be booed by Os fans.

I don't think that faking an injury will accomplish anything (not sure how legal it is). And it's far too early for an outright release.

4 ER in 1 2/3 > 6 ER in 1 1/3.

Just saying.

If Bumgarner truly sucked where does that put Ubaldo?

You also have the little tidbit about one of the two listed pitchers having a history of this sort of outing.

It is too early to judge. Madison Bumgarner truly sucked during his ST debut today. He gave up 4 runs in 1 2/3 innings. And I don't see anyone calling for Bumgarner's release or to be moved to the bullpen. There is a good chance that Ubaldo's disastrous ST outing was just one of those things and he'll do a lot better in the future.

Of course it isn't legal.

Do you think he was hurt last year?

Do you think Almazar was hurt last year?

Do you think Strop was hurt in 2013?

You look at his history and know that he does not normally pitch well until May. So put him in the pen. Work with him and see if he can do what he did last year when he has a decent May and June.

And who from the pen do you release or send to Norfolk? Britton, O'Day, Wright, Hunter, and Brach are locks. If we don't roster Garcia, he goes back to Boston. Do you want to let Matusz walk away with $3M to make room for Ubaldo, another RHP?

And who from the pen do you release or send to Norfolk? Britton, O'Day, Wright, Hunter, and Brach are locks. If we don't roster Garcia, he goes back to Boston. Do you want to let Matusz walk away with $3M to make room for Ubaldo, another RHP?

By the end of ST one of those guys might be on the DL.

Besides what else is there to do with Ubaldo. You put him in the bullpen until he straightens out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it isn't legal.

Do you think he was hurt last year?

Do you think Almazar was hurt last year?

Do you think Strop was hurt in 2013?

Yeah, I know that faking injuries has been done. However, in this case, faking an injury to put Ubaldo on the DL helps no one.

Maybe he sucks because our dysfunctional organization hasn't effectively communicated with him and let him know how much we appreciate his efforts. I'm thinking a nice hand signed card from Dan and a gift basket would help turn things around.

4 ER in 1 2/3 > 6 ER in 1 1/3.

Just saying.

If Bumgarner truly sucked where does that put Ubaldo?

You also have the little tidbit about one of the two listed pitchers having a history of this sort of outing.

I don't think that anywhere did I try and say that Ubaldo=Madbum. Of course, they aren't equal. Madbum had a decent year last year, and a fabulous post season, culminating with his WS MVP. Ubaldo had a pretty horrible year most of last year and he didn't even get into the post season.

What I was saying is that basically, it's too early to make an evaluation. It's a fallacy to evaluate a pitcher's coming season based upon the first ST game.

But then, having said that, I was trying to answer Bahama O's Fan's question that he posed about Ubaldo's future. I said that if he were struggling with control at the end of ST (after many ST appearances), then I would say that Ubaldo should go into the bullpen for a while and work with Wallace and Chiti to continue his progress with his control and pitch command.

Can someone explain if it is possible to put Ubaldo on waivers (with his permission) to the minors?

I mean, no one is going to claim him and his salary.

Do the O's have to pay that if he is claimed? How does this work..?

Archived