If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

Trading Norris makes no sense. He is losing value every time he takes the mound. Why would someone give up anything of value for a pitcher with a 9 ERA in the spring? Any other team is going to think that he is either hurt or has lost command of his stuff.

If the team believes it has a surplus of capable starters, why not trade Chen? He is a good pitcher and will bring back value. He's almost surely gone after this season so we are not damaging our long term competitiveness by trading him.

If everybody thinks Norris is hurt he should be easy to put on the DL. Then they don't have to trade a pitcher.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If everybody thinks Norris is hurt he should be easy to put on the DL. Then they don't have to trade a pitcher.
I think this is what will happen and the same with Lough. That way they have some more time to look at Ubaldo and Paredes/Cabrera before they have to make a decision.

Gonzo has been better than Norris. So put Norris in the pen for now.

You don't put a guy you just paid 9 million dollars in the pen unless he's completely sucked like Ubaldo does. It comes down to a numbers game, and when you have two pretty much equal guys it makes more sense to put the one making 1/3 the salary in the pen.

You don't put a guy you just paid 9 million dollars in the pen unless he's completely sucked like Ubaldo does. It comes down to a numbers game, and when you have two pretty much equal guys it makes more sense to put the one making 1/3 the salary in the pen.

Plus, it lowers the future arbitration numbers for Gonzalez if he only has bullpen numbers for this year to go by, plus Norris starting with a good year could get us a comp pick. Its just the smart move.

So it is not really about who is pitching the best, it is about who is paid the most. I am glad Buck and DD are the ones making the decisions.

I never liked him, in Colorado or Cleveland, and I'm not sure why. I even commented last spring that I didn't like anything about him including his face, which was sort of uncalled for but true. And now I find myself rooting for him, and I'm not sure why. It's not because he's employed by my favorite team.

Actually, I do know why, and it's not in spite of but BECAUSE of his struggles in 2014. He had every opportunity to lash out at fans, management...everybody, and he did not. He worked and did what was asked of him every step of the way as if he were a fringe player making MLB minimum rather than a guy who's financially set regardless of performance. I REALLY respect that, and will hope for good things for him now and in the future, whether in Baltimore or not.

Having said that, those good things can start right now and continue through October and I'd like that a lot.

You've said it better than I could, he's worked his ass off and he deserves to be commended for that. Last season had to be hell for him, he kept everything professional and didn't do anything to bring more heat on him or the team.

That said, I fully expect him to implode this season, I think we're seeing a mirage here. It's spring training, this stuff doesn't matter, we've seen players go on hot streaks before and not carry it over into the regular season. I'm fully aware that I'm being pessimistic but that's just what I expect. I'd be thrilled with a 15-10 season with a 4.00 ERA and some dominant starts thrown in.

DD is all about options. He won't trade anyone unless it's a good deal as long as he can use options to keep as much value as he can on the 40 man. Gausman to aaa to start the. Season is definitely very likely. Maybe a second starting pitcher with options too. They don't need a fifth starter for a while and it buys time. It's an easy decision for DD in my opinion.

It was also mentioned in Roch's post about Ramon Martinez really being helpful to Ubaldo. Another example of the type of DD move that is just really, really, really smart.

When I mentioned this thought, I was told that Dave Wallace is the gentleman responsible for Ramon coming to the Orioles. I believe they had courted him before.

He was the most frustrating pitcher to watch last year, but despite that I really kept rooting for the guy. He didn't push the blame around or make excuses for his poor pitching or mechanics, he accepted his role in the bullpen without being petulant as many others with a $50M contract would have done, and he constantly remained an upbeat presence in the dugout (even when he was in the doghouse). When Delmon hit the bases-clearing double in game 2 of the ALDS and Hardy slid in safely, it was Jimenez who was shown on the dugout step, thrusting his arms in the air in celebration. That image stays with me.

If he acted like he didn't care, I would feel differently and turn on him in an instant. But you can tell he does. He's got my support and hoping he turns things around nicely this season.

For those who are in the send Gausman to Norfolk camp, when do you bring him up if Ubaldo's turned the corner, and the other four pitched like last season? If you are waiting for an injury, let's say it's after the All-Star break and there hasn't been one. Is Gausman still in the minors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those who are in the send Gausman to Norfolk camp, when do you bring him up if Ubaldo's turned the corner, and the other four pitched like last season? If you are waiting for an injury, let's say it's after the All-Star break and there hasn't been one. Is Gausman still in the minors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think that's the right solution either.

Extremely difficult decision for DD, Buck and Dave Wallace to be in.

You almost have to trade a body, and everybody knows it, so that drives the cost down, and when it drives the cost down, then you end up keeping an arm.

You pull the trigger and trade an arm or two, then suddenly you lose somebody to season ending injury and then you are in mid-season trading for Scotty Feldman.

And why does salary count?

Plus, it lowers the future arbitration numbers for Gonzalez if he only has bullpen numbers for this year to go by, plus Norris starting with a good year could get us a comp pick. Its just the smart move.
I don't think that this sort of logic will go over with the players. You tell Gonzo that he's going to the pen and sooner or later, he (or his agent) figure out that it's a money move, trying to force his arbitration numbers down. I realize that, in some of this sort of logic, what the players feel isn't important. I beg to disagree.

Archived