If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

Only Miguel, Kevin and Wei-Yin can go to Norfolk. Well others can go there. But only they can be assigned there.
I realize that. Perhaps I should have clarified that point. The Norfolk option is only available to the three you mentioned. But even if it's one of these 3 (and it won't be Wei-Yin) who is the odd man out right now, he can be sent to the pen rather than sent to Norfolk.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015 ATL 6 19 3 2 3 1 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 .105 .105 .158 .263 2.60

2015 BAL 17 46 5 11 15 1 0 1 1 6 0 10 0 0 .239 .327 .326 .653 1.50

2015 BAL 0 3 9.26 4 4 0 0 0 0 11.2 16 13 12 5 1 9 9 .327 2.14 0.71

2015 SEA 0 3 10.22 4 4 0 0 0 0 12.1 13 14 14 3 1 4 8 .277 1.38 3.50

It's spring. This is just practice.

Can Wei-Yin be sent down?

Sometimes the language in the contract of players from NPB/KBO forbids it.

He was a free agent. He was not a transfer. It wasn't like with Yoon. Yoon had specific language in his MLB contract, not his foreign land one.

I realize that. Perhaps I should have clarified that point. The Norfolk option is only available to the three you mentioned. But even if it's one of these 3 (and it won't be Wei-Yin) who is the odd man out right now, he can be sent to the pen rather than sent to Norfolk.

Oh certainly. As we all know, Bud is not a part of the Choosing. It is simply Gonzalez and Gausman. And we know who is starting game three now.

Gausman and Norris have both been mediocre at best this Spring. UJ started pretty bad and has made substantial progress EVERY outing. Those two are in the race for 5th starter, not Ubaldo. He's earned a spot.

Clayton Kershaw was terrible in Spring Training last year. I think that illustrates my point

So he is saying Ubaldo's improvement this spring is meaningless? ;)
That's exactly what Herman was saying, as far as I could understand it. I posted a long, involved post a couple of pages ago where I stated that, in some cases (including Ubaldo's) ST games do have some meaning other than just getting in condition. You can go back to where I made that post and look at it and see if it makes any sense or not.

Right. Because it is just Practice. And we all know that Ubaldo was not losing his job.
Actually, he was regaining a job he had lost the season before. Though Herman was claiming that Ubaldo was getting into the rotation because of his high salary, a fact that didn't prevent Buck from taking him out of the rotation last August. If Ubaldo had sucked during all of ST, or his performance had gone from pretty good to horrible, there is no way that Buck would have given him a spot in the rotation; Buck isn't stupid and he wants a winning team. As a matter of fact, Ubaldo won the job as the #5 starter, where he's almost a swing man for parts of the season because the 5th starter gets his turn skipped more than once, especially during the early part of the season. Frequently, when a 5th starter misses a starting turn, he gets a bullpen turn.

That's exactly what Herman was saying, as far as I could understand it. I posted a long, involved post a couple of pages ago where I stated that, in some cases (including Ubaldo's) ST games do have some meaning other than just getting in condition. You can go back to where I made that post and look at it and see if it makes any sense or not.

We're talking about practice.

Actually, he was regaining a job he had lost the season before. Though Herman was claiming that Ubaldo was getting into the rotation because of his high salary, a fact that didn't prevent Buck from taking him out of the rotation last August. If Ubaldo had sucked during all of ST, or his performance had gone from pretty good to horrible, there is no way that Buck would have given him a spot in the rotation; Buck isn't stupid, and he wants a winning team. As a matter of fact, Ubaldo won the job as the #5 starter, where he's almost a swing man for parts of the season because the 5th starter gets his turn skipped more than once, especially during the early part of the season. Frequently, when a 5th starter misses a starting turn, he gets a bullpen turn.

I agree.

When the Orioles continued to keep Kevin Gregg on the roster for almost the entire 2012 season (we finally released him that September) to "get their money's worth" from the contract that he was under, Showalter used him as little as possible, and almost always in mop-up situations.

What Showalter did with Jimenez last season (removing him from the starting rotation) was somewhat of a similar dynamic as compared to the Kevin Gregg situation in 2012.

Archived