If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

Spring Training:

- In 2012 we lost to a Florida Community College team. Our team was awful all year.

- In 2014 we lost a 5 inning scrimmage to the Frederick Keys. Our team was awful all year.

- Last season Ubaldo's first outing was great, I believe. He won the Cy young.

(All regular stats pulled from memory of overreaction threads)

All good points.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would look to trade one bad contract for another so we can upgrade our offense. If he had one year left, I would be inclined to cut him but three years is too much to swallow.:cool:

What if Ubaldo was pitching to a spot instead of to a game condition?

I would look to trade one bad contract for another so we can upgrade our offense. If he had one year left, I would be inclined to cut him but three years is too much to swallow.:cool:

Generally a bad contract won't upgrade the offense. Who would you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just posed an "if" question. I know that the game means nothing' date=' but just "if" he sucks ALL spring training, cannot throw strikes and the stuff he does throw well they crush, what would you do?[/quote']

Especially because we have six starters and a logjam in the bullpen, I believe it is a legitimate question. If he was a lock for the rotation I would say ignore the spring, but if we are choosing between him and Miguel it's a tough call if he continues to look horrible.

I know' date=' I know, it was only the first spring training game, but... if he doesn't improve with his control all spring, what do you do with him? Fake injury? Bullpen? Roll with him? Put him on waivers?[/quote']

Send him to the BP. The Orioles couldn't his afford inconsistency in 2014 and they can't afford it in 2015.

If he continues to pitch poorly he will be given the Kevin Gregg treatment. Only pitch out of the pen in blow out games. The team will move guys up and down to keep the pen fresh. also we might have a 3 man bench.

If he continues to pitch poorly he will be given the Kevin Gregg treatment. Only pitch out of the pen in blow out games. The team will move guys up and down to keep the pen fresh. also we might have a 3 man bench.

I think the only problem with that is one of the Rule V guys (probably Garcia) is gonna have mop up duty. What are the rules for waivers/release for Ubaldo? Can he be put on waivers and anyone claiming him must take his salary? What if he clears waivers? Are we then on the hook for his contract minus whatever anyone signs him for?

I think the only problem with that is one of the Rule V guys (probably Garcia) is gonna have mop up duty. What are the rules for waivers/release for Ubaldo? Can he be put on waivers and anyone claiming him must take his salary? What if he clears waivers? Are we then on the hook for his contract minus whatever anyone signs him for?

If someone claims him, they are responsible for his salary. Which won't happen. So he would clear waivers and the Orioles would have to eat the entire contract minus what he might sign for elsewhere.

If someone claims him, they are responsible for his salary. Which won't happen. So he would clear waivers and the Orioles would have to eat the entire contract minus what he might sign for elsewhere.

If he clears waivers, can we sign him to a minor league deal? I don't think he will do it, but just curious.

If he clears waivers' date=' can we sign him to a minor league deal? I don't think he will do it, but just curious.[/quote']

Yes. Technically if a player has never cleared waivers before they have to take the assignment. But not sure how that works with free agent contracts.

Archived