MLBTradeRumors does the Orioles Offseason in Review

AlbionHero

Who here thought it was 50/50 that Cruz would come back? Anyone?
I did. If Seattle didn't go crazy, I think he would have resigned with the O's for 3 years. Seattle was interested in other bats as well as Cruz, and a lot of teams were leery of his age and the QO.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would Ed Rod be a even a top 100 player if he finished the year with us. Not that we can't develop guys, but the hype machine has to sell the Sox nation on something. Without Miller we don't win the playoff series. Dude was the most dominant Oriole pitcher since Mussina in 97/98. Cruz was never a resign possibility. Put up big HR's and Games played. He won't equal those in Seattle. Either one.

Seattle didn't go crazy. MLBTR predicted he would get a 4/$70M deal and he ended up getting 4/$57M.

To be fair, while MLBTR generally does a good job with these things, isn't the fact that the highest offer (assumed) is $13M below their projection more evidence that they were high on their projection more so than the high offer necessarily getting a good deal?

To be fair, while MLBTR generally does a good job with these things, isn't the fact that the highest offer (assumed) is $13M below their projection more evidence that they were high on their projection more so than the high offer necessarily getting a good deal?

I'm not saying it was a good deal, just that it wasn't a crazy deal. I wouldn't have wanted the Orioles to sign him to that deal. My point is just that it wasn't out of line (and in fact it was below) expectations.

I'm not saying it was a good deal, just that it wasn't a crazy deal. I wouldn't have wanted the Orioles to sign him to that deal. My point is just that it wasn't out of line (and in fact it was below) expectations.

Gotcha. I see what you mean now.

I don't think it was a bad idea to let him walk for that money. I think we were all thinking best-case he would result in a supp pick, and that came to fruition. Hard to complain about how things worked out.

It was not a crazy overpay. It was just a terrible deal. And one I might have been tempted to make. Even knowing that it is two years too long. And 40 million too much.

When you have a chance to get to the World Series, you need to take some risks. Those opportunities don't come along often. In our case, we haven't been to the World Series since 1983. I would make the Miller trade without hesitation.

Would Ed Rod be a even a top 100 player if he finished the year with us. Not that we can't develop guys, but the hype machine has to sell the Sox nation on something. Without Miller we don't win the playoff series. Dude was the most dominant Oriole pitcher since Mussina in 97/98. Cruz was never a resign possibility. Put up big HR's and Games played. He won't equal those in Seattle. Either one.

Yes, he would be a top 100 with the Orioles. His stats at Bowie look poor because he missed 5 weeks from mid April to late May with a groin injury. Minor league stats are often misleading, especially for a young pitcher playing in a league with much older players.

Yes, he would be a top 100 with the Orioles. His stats at Bowie look poor because he missed 5 weeks from mid April to late May with a groin injury. Minor league stats are often misleading, especially for a young pitcher playing in a league with much older players.

Ed Rod wasn't a top prospect, more of a mid range prospect.

The bullpen is crowded with better arms.

Ed Rod wasn't a top prospect, more of a mid range prospect.

The bullpen is crowded with better arms.

He did not look good last spring in major league camp. Tim Berry looked to be the better prospect. THat was before the injury. Now we all know that Eduardo is much better. But is he better than Verrette?

Archived