MLBTradeRumors does the Orioles Offseason in Review

AlbionHero

IMO, it strains credibility to see posts (including some IIRC from Weams) that the Orioles FO outbid the Tigers for a key available player at the trade deadline and then to insist the player was outside the top 200.

There have been articles posted that the Tigers had met the BoSox trade request only to be told the BoSox had one more avenue to pursue - EdRod. By the nature of the description and the out-bidding of the Tigers, it would seem on the surface that EdRod was a reach prospect-wise from the BoSox perspective when they asked for him knowing they were satisfied with the Tigers offer.

However, if you want to insist that EdRod was outside the Top 200, then it would seem natural to also conclude either the Os mis-valued EdRod or completely messed up his development given what he did for Boston immediately after the trade. You can pick your poison here, but it's not a pretty story.

At the time I saw him last, he was still being scouted heavily. There were Boston scouts at the last two Bowie games I saw. The Orioles did outbid the Tigers for Miller. So my top 200 was probably hyperbole. He was not the mega prospect that he had been the season before when we had to trade Hader to keep him. Easily half the value at that point. As good as Miller was, he was strictly a 20 inning rental. Hard to give up a real prospect for that. But we needed to try to win last year. And we did. I really am not arguing with you. I am however glad that we made the Norris and Miller trades. That we tried. You can evaluate it as a front office failure. You have that right.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did not look good last spring in major league camp. Tim Berry looked to be the better prospect. THat was before the injury. Now we all know that Eduardo is much better. But is he better than Verrette?

Verrette? My point was and is Rodriguez ranking has nothing to do with what organization he's with. That there is a reason why he suddenly started pitching better after the trade. I would've done the trade and still think it was the right move. The Orioles have three starters with a better upside that are under team control for at least 6 years.

At the time I saw him last, he was still being scouted heavily. There were Boston scouts at the last two Bowie games I saw. The Orioles did outbid the Tigers for Miller. So my top 200 was probably hyperbole. He was not the mega prospect that he had been the season before when we had to trade Hader to keep him. Easily half the value at that point. As good as Miller was, he was strictly a 20 inning rental. Hard to give up a real prospect for that. But we needed to try to win last year. And we did. I really am not arguing with you. I am however glad that we made the Norris and Miller trades. That we tried. You can evaluate it as a front office failure. You have that right.

You have to give up talent to receive talent. Thankfully, there is depth in the farm system to allow DD the freedom to acquire needed pieces, without mortgaging the future.

He did not look good last spring in major league camp. Tim Berry looked to be the better prospect. THat was before the injury. Now we all know that Eduardo is much better. But is he better than Verrette?

Pretty silly to ask if ERod is better than Verrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty silly to ask if ERod is better than Verrett.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? I only mean future MLB impact. Obviously Eduardo is rated FAR higher. Verrett may still have the better career. They are both only prospects.

This is fairly positive review of the offseason. It's better than regurgitated crap coming from the other experts that pegged the O's for last place with Cruz and now saying we are a last place team because he's gone. Like that makes freaking sense.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/03/al-east-notes-rays-orioles-sabathia-ramirez.html

Orioles GM Dan Duquette sent his best starting pitching prospect, left-hander Eduardo Rodriguez, to the Red Sox in order to land Andrew Miller last season. If he had his druthers, that’s not neccessarily the deal he would have made, Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald writes. “I offered about 50 other pitchers before him,” said Duquette. “It was required that we give up Rodriguez for Andrew Miller. We had to take a shot.” O’s manager Buck Showalter thought the deal was worth it for both teams, but Silverman wonders if Rodriguez could prove to be the next great ace in Boston.

Archived