WNST Drew blogs about the Hangout

Miller192

I'm someone who approved of the walk out and has never listened to WNST.

The blog entry seemed very reasonable. Can someone tell me why the O's shouldn't attempt to work something out with the station?

If I walked up to you and sucker-punched you, and we got into a fight, is it your responsibility to end the fight, or mine to apologize beforehand?

The Orioles didn't throw the first punch here (unless you consider a super-soaker a punch :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:), so it is the radio station's job to make the first move.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WNST doesn't cater to the O's, the O's don't cater to NST.

There really isn't anything more to say in the circular, dog-chasing-its-own-tail argument.

and there is no point re-hasing it.

There was SUPPOSED to be a second walk-out... I suppose it never happened. Nestor and his crew are all talk.

Drew has a good head on his shoulders, but he is prone to hyperbole and dramatics. He will jump back on the bandwagon the second they have a hot couple of weeks.

I grow tired of his "You don't know what I know" argument. Its annoying.

Well I read it and I thought it was pretty good, keep in mind I like Drew Forrester.

When I look at their plight with the station I kinda find it hard to believe it's strictly money driven. Sure they probably tried/are trying to make a few bucks of it, they are a business.

But I think they are coming a little more from the heart. They're not dumb people over there. Nestor bought the station with some knowledgable investors.

It would have to be somewhat calculated to decide to exonerate the Orioles in a two sports town. Taking the chance to perpetuate the voice of the fan, they made a decision that they are going to hold the O's feet to the fire until they turn things around. WNST set that bar, whatever it might be.

Their business is one that ultimately will depend upon the success of the teams in Baltimore. If the O's remain the joke that they currently are, then it can't be good for WNST.

As much as some here say that no one pays attention to them and they are insigifnicant, they might be true in some respect. But fans have stopped going to games and have supported the team from afar. Apathy rules Camden Yards in the summer. I think more fans identify with Drew and Nestor than some here would like to believe. It's those of us here at the Hangout that are probably in the minority.

I don't think any more then a small percentage identify with them, simply for the reason you give: apathy.

I don't think any more then a small percentage identify with them, simply for the reason you give: apathy.

Maybe not actively but Baltimore fans aren't going to Orioles' games. You should've saw the place on tag day. I've never seen such a small crowd.

Maybe not actively but Baltimore fans aren't going to Orioles' games. You should've saw the place on tag day. I've never seen such a small crowd.

After 10 years any team would be a tough sell.

If the Orioles somehow, by the grace of the Gods, are competitive in 08 the place will be full in a heartbeat. 2005 proved that.

The blog entry seemed very reasonable. Can someone tell me why the O's shouldn't attempt to work something out with the station?

Throughout the last several years I have heard various members of the NST staff, including their owner, refer to the Orioles and their owner in the most perjorative terms possible. Turds, troll, pigs, etc, etc. Why should the Orioles give Drew or anyone else associated with NST a chance to benefit from using the Orioles to help fill their programmming needs. I was delighted to hear that the Orioles rejected his request to come to spring training. I can get my O's information from any number of alternatives.

I just submitted a reply to Drew (waiting to be approved) in response to this part. Basically, what do the Orioles owe NST? I have insides into the organization's hierarchy, and they are clearly a flawed and poorly managed organization. And I am not talking about the actual baseball side of things.

However, I made the point that I was listening to the station last fall, when the Ravens were still alive & the O's season was over. It was a Monday after a Ravens game & there was plenty to talk about. However, every single host seemed that bashing the O's was more important that day.

Yes, the Orioles are poorly run. Yes, the Orioles need all the PR they can get. But, when it seems to me as an avid listener that the station will bash the team at every turn, why should the O's bother?

If PA comes in and extends the olive branch to Nestor, will his station's attacks stop? Doubtful. In fact, I know they won't.

There is critiquing the hometown team, like it happens in any city and then there is ruthless bashing. The Orioles do not owe them anything at this point. I really do dislike the Orioles management style (I own & manage my own practice) but, I can not see what catering to an organization like NST does for you.

After 10 years any team would be a tough sell.

If the Orioles somehow, by the grace of the Gods, are competitive in 08 the place will be full in a heartbeat. 2005 proved that.

Well they drew more in 04 than they did in 05 and more in 05 than they did in 06. The place was far from full. Apparently their early success were'nt enough to buck their poor attendance trend.

You're right, 10 years does make it a tough sell. Especially for the majority of O's fans who are staying away. Those in the minority here, schedule Hangout Nights and get togethers.

I wasn't intending to implicate anything, however, its been noted that other representatives of WNST are given credentials ,etc and so forth. So do the Orioles have to work something out with the entire station really? Or with the several personalities they have red flagged as "undesirable," which yes, include Drew?

Oh, I guess I don't understand how press credentials work. Could Tony or someone explain the process if possible? Do you apply for a particular number of passes, for your company, but the O's have the discretion to say who can and can not use them?

If I walked up to you and sucker-punched you, and we got into a fight, is it your responsibility to end the fight, or mine to apologize beforehand?

I don't know the history between the O's and WNST so I don't really get the analogy but...I end the fight by rear naked choke?

The Orioles didn't throw the first punch here

I don't think that matters at this point but for my information could you tell me what the first punch was?

(unless you consider a super-soaker a punch )

Well what super-soaker are we talking about here? I used to own one where the water tank was bigger than I was!

so it is the radio station's job to make the first move.
I have tried on a half-dozen occasions since last May to meet with team officials/executives to set-up a face-to-face meeting where we can each “make our case” to the other and determine what path we might both take to achieve some kind of improved working relationship. SIX times I’ve tried to arrange a meeting. Not only have those meetings not happened, the club hasn’t even responded to my requests with a polite, “no thanks”. In January, frustrated at yet another lack of response from Andy MacPhail, I contacted Major League Baseball and filed a grievance through the PR Department asking the league to oversee a meeting in New York in which we would all get together (me, the baseball team execs and MLB PR) and have the league mediate a “hearing” of sorts so that I could be treated professionally by the team during 2008. After reviewing my request, MLB PR recommended that I take up the matter directly with the baseball team in Baltimore...

...I followed the proper protocol a week ago and requested a credential for spring training with a plan to do my morning show from Ft. Lauderdale on March 3-4-5…live…four hours a day…to once again try and show the club I was willing to come down (at our expense) and embrace this new team with its new players, new attitude and new hope for the future. Once again, it was (supposedly) a “rights holders issue”, even though the “rights holders” don’t broadcast any live shows from 6am-10am in the morning. At least, for the first time in almost a year, someone (Bill Stetka) with some integrity returned my phone call and had the guts to tell me “no”, even if it was a bush league decision by one of the higher-ups.

Isn't that what he did here or is he lying?

Well they drew more in 04 than they did in 05 and more in 05 than they did in 06. The place was far from full. Apparently their early success were'nt enough to buck their poor attendance trend.

You're right, 10 years does make it a tough sell. Especially for the majority of O's fans who are staying away. Those in the minority here, schedule Hangout Nights and get togethers.

05 - Os are in first place, weekend series against the Rockies - sold out 3 nights in a row in May.

When the O's were doing great, before Palmeiro and roids and all that garbage the place was rocking.

Archived