WNST Drew blogs about the Hangout

Miller192

WNST has always made me want to flip the channel. I've tried listening, but too often it's just so unprofessional and self-oriented. Twice have a I listened to Nestor, and both times he talked about himself the entire time. Really turned me off.

With Tony, Scott, Paul etc... they're devoted to covering the teams and players at all levels of the Orioles organization. Everyone knows that and respects it. But with WNST, they seem to be more focused on themselves. They treat the team, management and players like toilet paper, then complain about not being respected. I don't get it.

I don't think you've really listened to WNST. Nestor hasn't had a show there for 3 years. There's a handful of other hosts who do not share the same opinion that Nestor and Drew do. Drew is done by 10am, you've got the whole day to hear a different opinion.

In fact, you can usually hear John-OH on WNST once a week with Bob Haynie.

Drew and Nestor also do a great job of promoting local college teams. Their family days at Loyola, Towson and UMBC have lead to packed houses. They now broadcast Towson football and I believe Towson sold out its most games in school history.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm on a Mac and I'm using Firefox.

What's NoScript?

It's an addon/extension for firefox. It blocks scripts from showing up on webpages like google ads. It shows you which ones are being blocked and you can allow or disallow each script separately. You'll never have to see another google ad or pop up ever again and it can prevent some bad stuff (spyware) from getting on your computer.

Go to tools > addons > Get extensions

It will take you to a site to install it. (might have to search for it, there are many extensions you can get)

I don't think you've really listened to WNST. Nestor hasn't had a show there for 3 years. There's a handful of other hosts who do not share the same opinion that Nestor and Drew do. Drew is done by 10am, you've got the whole day to hear a different opinion.

Drew and Nestor also do a great job of promoting local college teams. Their family days at Loyola, Towson and UMBC have lead to packed houses. They now broadcast Towson football and I believe Towson sold out its most games in school history.

Damn, I'm holding more of a grudge than I realized! :)

So you're saying that they do some good work too, it's not all like I characterized, and it's worth another shot eh?

I've heard Nestor on the air in the past 3 years. Who cares if he has his own show? If I have heard him, and I listen VERY infrequently, he's obviously on there plenty.

Bob Haynie and Rob Long aren't as bad as Drew and Nestor. You're right about that. But the callers are still as bad as the ones that call in to whine during Drew's show.

Local college teams don't interest me much, so that isn't a selling point for me. I'm not from around here so I don't care to hear from the coach of the Towson Tigers for 20 minutes. But if that's what you like, it's great that WNST gives that to you.

The long and short of it is that WNST doesn't even attempt to cater to many Orioles fans--quite the opposite. That's too bad, but it's also reality.

Damn, I'm holding more of a grudge than I realized! :)

So you're saying that they do some good work too, it's not all like I characterized, and it's worth another shot eh?

Well, I'm just saying don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Yeah Drew and Nestor's (particularly Nestor) schtick gets old but if you're a fan of Baltimore sports I think you'll find something to like there. Bob Haynie and Rob Long are the best in the business.

I don't want to sound like a WNST cheerleader, but I think the station overall gets a bad rap. If you don't like the Orioles bashing, that's cool. Just keep an open mind on the station in general.

I listen to it everyday. Sometimes I'm rolling my eyes, but I generally find some intelligent stuff going on.

This is just my opinion MP.

I've heard Nestor on the air in the past 3 years. Who cares if he has his own show? If I have heard him, and I listen VERY infrequently, he's obviously on there plenty.

Bob Haynie and Rob Long aren't as bad as Drew and Nestor. You're right about that. But the callers are still as bad as the ones that call in to whine during Drew's show.

Local college teams don't interest me much, so that isn't a selling point for me. I'm not from around here so I don't care to hear from the coach of the Towson Tigers for 20 minutes. But if that's what you like, it's great that WNST gives that to you.

The long and short of it is that WNST doesn't even attempt to cater to many Orioles fans--quite the opposite. That's too bad, but it's also reality.

Nestor isn't on that much. I'd say you'll hear him maybe 4 times a month for 20 minutes.

Where are callers better in the local area? You'll find the same ones who call in to WNST on 1300 and on Steve Davis' show. It's the same people.

If you don't like hearing about the Towson Tigers that's fine. You're not from the area; no one is not trying to appeal to your demographic, that being someone who isn't in the listening area.

How do other radio stations cater to Orioles fans where WNST doesn't? Of course 1300 does because they are the only ones who can allow callers. Like I said, if you want the O's lovefest, tune into Bob Haynie or Mark Unger. They're much more optimistic. I think Bob Haynie predicted 85 wins last year.

Huh?:eek:

Your bias is showing through.

Nothing could be further from the truth, in my opinion.

WNST is the ONLY station in town to have OH staff (John and Tony) as regular guests.

All the hosts talk mostly about the big three: Orioles, Terps, Ravens....

The Ravens get more time than the Orioles because there is more interest in them.

The Orioles get their fair share of attention from all the show hosts.

Nestor isn't on that much. I'd say you'll hear him maybe 4 times a month for 20 minutes.

Where are callers better in the local area? You'll find the same ones who call in to WNST on 1300 and on Steve Davis' show. It's the same people.

If you don't like hearing about the Towson Tigers that's fine. You're not from the area; no one is not trying to appeal to your demographic, that being someone who isn't in the listening area.

How do other radio stations cater to Orioles fans where WNST doesn't? Of course 1300 does because they are the only ones who can allow callers. Like I said, if you want the O's lovefest, tune into Bob Haynie or Mark Unger. They're much more optimistic. I think Bob Haynie predicted 85 wins last year.

No, I don't want an Os "lovefest." I want to listen commentary that doesn't include snide remarks about the "midatlantics." I want the hosts to refrain from calling Os fans "idiots" and hanging up on them. I don't need the obvious about Os attendance pointed out to me constantly. Little things like that. They don't happen on other stations, but they do on WNST.

No, I don't want an Os "lovefest." I want to listen commentary that doesn't include snide remarks about the "midatlantics." I want the hosts to refrain from calling Os fans "idiots" and hanging up on them. I don't need the obvious about Os attendance pointed out to me constantly. Little things like that. They don't happen on other stations, but they do on WNST.

Alright, tune in after 10am and you'll get 8 hours of what you're looking for.

I don't know where you're getting this "idiot" and "hanging up" on thing. I guess you're right, you're an infrequent listener.

Sounds to me like you might me talking about Tom Davis on his Ravens post game show.

So, you want media that tows the line for PA? Like the Sun, WBAL, WMAR, WJZ, 1300, etc....?

I see nothing wrong with having someone in town being a pain in the ass to PA. WNST fills the role that the others don't.

If you think WNST is bad, then don't listen to sports talk in Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, etc....

I don't get it. :confused: We have possibly the worst owner in professional sports who has ran a great franchise (ours) into the ground, but please don't be rough on him on the radio.

Oddly enough, in your message board vomiting, none of you – not one of you – mentioned that.

The only thing making me vomit is the wnst website. I think they hired a couple High School kids then just stuck advertising on every spare pixel. Why would the Orioles associate themselves with such a lousy user experience?

BTW...I have been turd burgled. It is an alarming affair.

So, you want media that tows the line for PA? Like the Sun, WBAL, WMAR, WJZ, 1300, etc....?

I see nothing wrong with having someone in town being a pain in the ass to PA. WNST fills the role that the others don't.

If you think WNST is bad, then don't listen to sports talk in Philly, NY, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, etc....

I don't get it. :confused: We have possibly the worst owner in professional sports who has ran a great franchise (ours) into the ground, but please don't be rough on him on the radio.

I'd rather not be made to feel like a fool for rooting for my team. Listening to Nestor before he figured out how to turn his fanatical hatred into promotion, he only had contempt for people who said they were still Orioles fans.

That is where the problems start. Then manufacturing news just to make the Orioles look bad is the icing on top.

It's an addon/extension for firefox. It blocks scripts from showing up on webpages like google ads. It shows you which ones are being blocked and you can allow or disallow each script separately. You'll never have to see another google ad or pop up ever again and it can prevent some bad stuff (spyware) from getting on your computer.

Go to tools > addons > Get extensions

It will take you to a site to install it. (might have to search for it, there are many extensions you can get)

I don't use that one (nothing against it), there are other options including the standard blocker (under "Tools/Options/Content") that's just part of Firefox.

There's a bazillion extensions. Take your time looking through them. I use about 20 of them. It's one of the best things about Firefox. (But, like anything else, a lot of them are pointless junk.)

Being someone that doesn't get up until around 10am or so, and who lives in Montgomery County, I don't get to hear Drew's show. And without taking sides in the debate (and without knowing how truthful his version of events is, but certainly not taking any offense to what he said about the site), I will give him credit for his tone, and if everything he's said is true, his efforts.

Hosting a talk show is an extremely subjective profession. What some of you may or may not like is also the worst or the best in someone else's opinion. That's fine. But if you don't think WNST has done at least a few really good things, you're nuts. Yes they're small and their signal is always going to be that way as long as they stay on 1570. It's an FCC thing. But in an industry that is infinitely more difficult than I think some of you realize, they've done some things to be proud of.

Likewise, fwiw, it seems that if you took away the spoon-fed interviews from the O's on 1300, and they seem to draw the most listeners on this board who are local. Perhaps that's a function of the exposure they've given us, or that we've given to them, or both. Who knows? But they've got a dedicated audience who allow them to stay in business and keep doing what they're doing. They're also locally owned and that matters a whole lot in an era of format flips at the drop of a hat and corporate homogony.

Being someone that doesn't get up until around 10am or so, and who lives in Montgomery County, I don't get to hear Drew's show. And without taking sides in the debate (and without knowing how truthful his version of events is, but certainly not taking any offense to what he said about the site), I will give him credit for his tone, and if everything he's said is true, his efforts.

Hosting a talk show is an extremely subjective profession. What some of you may or may not like is also the worst or the best in someone else's opinion. That's fine. But if you don't think WNST has done at least a few really good things, you're nuts. Yes they're small and their signal is always going to be that way as long as they stay on 1570. It's an FCC thing. But in an industry that is infinitely more difficult than I think some of you realize, they've done some things to be proud of.

Likewise, fwiw, it seems that if you took away the spoon-fed interviews from the O's on 1300, and they seem to draw the most listeners on this board who are local. Perhaps that's a function of the exposure they've given us, or that we've given to them, or both. Who knows? But they've got a dedicated audience who allow them to stay in business and keep doing what they're doing. They're also locally owned and that matters a whole lot in an era of format flips at the drop of a hat and corporate homogony.

As a regular contributor on WNST, I'm glad you weighed in John.

Archived