WNST Drew blogs about the Hangout

Miller192

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worked for a corporately owned station, and I've worked for a station owned by a small group that didn't own a bevy of stations and instead were involved, but not too involved. There is no question, even to the slightest degree, as to which station I preferred to work for. And they're the ones who ultimately fired me, no less.

Not terribly impressed by this guy Drew - whoever he is. Someone should probably try to put a bug in his ear to stop trying to gain access to the Os by crying to Mommy (MLB). And perhaps a bug in his other ear to stop putting in print that the organization fails to to "man up" (quality journalistic phrase there) by denying access. (Certainly, this fellow's tactics are something that would go over like a lead balloon in the corporate world. How about going to your supplier's contact's boss and ratting him out? Or calling out your supplier in public? :rolleyes: ) Maybe this fellow should pound some pavement and try to learn all he can about the Orioles and baseball from among the FO, scouts and players. Develop some rapport with guys in the local or national media or independent publications or people in other organizations. In other words, do some real journalism instead of sounding like some local Wayne's World radio jockey who believes it's his birthright to have whatever access he believes he deserves into the inner workings of the Orioles.

I understand opinions that would like the Os to be more accepting of WNST - saying the Os should be the bigger organization and give equal press access to even the most severe critics. But WNST takes it criticism farther than almost any "press" organization I know - rallying fans to publicly embarrass the owner and to cause economic harm to the team. I think this crosses a line.

Well I read it and I thought it was pretty good, keep in mind I like Drew Forrester.

When I look at their plight with the station I kinda find it hard to believe it's strictly money driven. Sure they probably tried/are trying to make a few bucks of it, they are a business.

But I think they are coming a little more from the heart. They're not dumb people over there. Nestor bought the station with some knowledgable investors.

It would have to be somewhat calculated to decide to exonerate the Orioles in a two sports town. Taking the chance to perpetuate the voice of the fan, they made a decision that they are going to hold the O's feet to the fire until they turn things around. WNST set that bar, whatever it might be.

Their business is one that ultimately will depend upon the success of the teams in Baltimore. If the O's remain the joke that they currently are, then it can't be good for WNST.

As much as some here say that no one pays attention to them and they are insigifnicant, they might be true in some respect. But fans have stopped going to games and have supported the team from afar. Apathy rules Camden Yards in the summer. I think more fans identify with Drew and Nestor than some here would like to believe. It's those of us here at the Hangout that are probably in the minority.

Don't let Drew and Nestor brainwash you. Fans HAVE stopped going, but not because they hate Angelos or the Orioles. They have stopped going because we suck! They want to see a winner. Even WNST was backing the O's big time in the beginning of the 2005 season when we were in first place. They were the biggest fans around. They can say they hate Angelos, etc etc, but all they and the fans want is a winner. PERIOD! Everything else is not important.

That said, while I am NOT a big fan of Drew's Orioles bashing, I will say he was rather professional in this latest blog. I give him credit for answering some questions without completely bashing us here at the OH. All I can say is, they made their bed, now lie in it. Someone who responded to the blog said, if the radio station changes their ways, the Orioles will re-open their arms (or something like that.) That is the truth. Stop constantly bashing and the O's will have no issues with WNST. The problem is the egos of Drew and Nestor.

They now broadcast Towson football and I believe Towson sold out its most games in school history.

I'm sorry, but the NST coverage had a miniscule amount to do with the little attendence gain TU football had this year. That was mostly to do with having an administrative and marketing staff that had a cohesive and workeable campaign for advertising for once, plus having a home schedule that included a group of schools that travel well. I know of a very large contingency of people that were actually quite upset that TU football was no longer on TMD-FM, as a matter of fact.

Here's my take... I have been listening to NST for a long long time. Damn near 10 years. Back when Nestor went national for TSN Radio for about 6 months. Bob Haynie is far and away the best sports talk host this city has ever had. He's local and passionate about his Birds, Ravens and Terps. Rob Long is getting better. Not great, but certainly better than the chick that will remain nameless. I no longer listen to Drew in the morning and stopped listening to Nestor before he gave way to Rob Long in the afternoon because of their personal fight with the O's. I'm sure there is a lot of blame to go around in this fight. But I'm done with it, I'm tired of hearing how bad PA has treated us fans. I'm tired of being told about the lack of attendance. I'm tired of snide Mid-Atlantics comments. I know how poorly the O's have been managed over the past 10 years, I don't need anyone to point it out to me every day.

I have ZERO issue with someone being critical of the O's and PA. Lord knows there has been a lot to be critical about over these past 10 years. The BS reports you get from 1300 and used to get on 1090 grind my gears just as much as Drew and Nestor do. But when you flip on Drew's show, his message has not changed. Even after all of the moves that AM has made and the projects he's announced internationally. His continued belief that fans won't come back even if the O's do start winning, is just plain wrong. Yes, his listeners probably won't come back until PA is gone. But the large majority of fans just want to see a winner. And when the O's win the fans will come, plain and simple. They won't stay away because PA is still the owner or Baltimore is not on the away jersey. They stay away because they don't feel like spending $100 to watch a loser of a team play.

So my advice to Drew is to stop publicly airing your O's bashing agenda, the general O's fan base is tired of hearing about it. Especially after the change that AM has been able to affect.

I don't think you've really listened to WNST. Nestor hasn't had a show there for 3 years. There's a handful of other hosts who do not share the same opinion that Nestor and Drew do. Drew is done by 10am, you've got the whole day to hear a different opinion.

In fact, you can usually hear John-OH on WNST once a week with Bob Haynie.

Drew and Nestor also do a great job of promoting local college teams. Their family days at Loyola, Towson and UMBC have lead to packed houses. They now broadcast Towson football and I believe Towson sold out its most games in school history.

Nestor does not have a show but is on often. He is a shameless self promoter and his Moon segments were terrible. I will give credit where it is due. They do a nice job on college sports and coach segments etc. Haynie is my favorite on air guy on the local channels. The battle with the Orioles is a disgrace on both sides, but IMO Nestor got it started.

I used to listen to NST all the time, even the morning show. After they got rid of Terry and Jeremy it just turned into Drew's constant whining about the Orioles not being his buddy. I really think Drew would rather see the Orioles go 0-162 than win the World Series, him and Nestor get so much pleasure out of being able to make fun of the team. Bob Haynie is the only host on their worth listening to, he has the knowledge and he is professional. He listens to the caller not cuts them off and doesnt let them talk when he disagrees. He also knows what he is talking about unlike Rob Long.

I used to listen to NST all the time, even the morning show. After they got rid of Terry and Jeremy it just turned into Drew's constant whining about the Orioles not being his buddy. I really think Drew would rather see the Orioles go 0-162 than win the World Series, him and Nestor get so much pleasure out of being able to make fun of the team. Bob Haynie is the only host on their worth listening to, he has the knowledge and he is professional. He listens to the caller not cuts them off and doesnt let them talk when he disagrees. He also knows what he is talking about unlike Rob Long.

I won't bash Long too much, as it is probably VERY difficult to be a sports radio show host and have to know a lot of info about pretty much any sport around. I give them all credit.

That said, there are two major sports in town, O's and Ravens. I often hear callers asking about a specific player, and Long doesn't have a clue as to if they're an Oriole, a minor leaguer, traded, a member of a different team, etc. An example was a recent (maybe 2-3 weeks ago) caller saying the Orioles should sign Adam Everett from Houston. The discussion went on for minutes. This was long AFTER Everett had been signed by another team. Like I said, its hard to host a radio talk show, but I would hope they could have better knowledge about the two MAJOR sports.

I'll give Rob Long credit, it takes a lot of Brass to go from a caller to hosting your own show for 4 hours. Baseball is definitely not his strong suit. But he does love the O's. And has been on board with AM after his recent moves. Football and basketball are definitely his strong suits.

I'll give Rob Long credit, it takes a lot of Brass to go from a caller to hosting your own show for 4 hours. Baseball is definitely not his strong suit. But he does love the O's. And has been on board with AM after his recent moves. Football and basketball are definitely his strong suits.

And from my (albeit very brief) personal interaction with him, he's a HELLUVA nice guy, too.

I agree with you.

I don't listen to WNST very often anymore, because my business travel has risen dramatically with the last 2 years. I only listen to them occasisionally now.

I really didn't like Rob Long when he first hit the air. However, the more I listened to him, the more I appreciated him. He grew on me. He is knowledgeable enough about sports. He is humble, likeable, and doesn't pretend to be an expert or know-it-all. Long and Haynie are both waaaay better than anything you will here on 1300 or 1090.

Some of the new guys (Mark Suchy for ex) are pretty good too. However, I can't stand those two obnoxious brothers (fighting Ungers ?? or whatever they call themselves).

I agree with you.

I don't listen to WNST very often anymore, because my business travel has risen dramatically with the last 2 years. I only listen to them occasisionally now.

I really didn't like Rob Long when he first hit the air. However, the more I listened to him, the more I appreciated him. He grew on me. He is knowledgeable enough about sports. He is humble, likeable, and doesn't pretend to be an expert or know-it-all. Long and Haynie are both waaaay better than anything you will here on 1300 or 1090.

Some of the new guys (Mark Suchy for ex) are pretty good too. However, I can't stand those two obnoxious brothers (fighting Ungers ?? or whatever they call themselves).

I hear ya. I don't listen as much as I used too either. Business travel sucks. Rob Long has gotten much better in my opinion. He was pretty rough there early on. I didn't think he was going to make it. I agree on Suchey as well. The fighting Ungers bit is stupid. Trying to bite off of the success that ESPN has had with shows like PTI and ATH. All of these trumped up, in your face "discussion" shows make my ears bleed!

Nestor does not have a show but is on often. He is a shameless self promoter and his Moon segments were terrible. I will give credit where it is due. They do a nice job on college sports and coach segments etc. Haynie is my favorite on air guy on the local channels. The battle with the Orioles is a disgrace on both sides, but IMO Nestor got it started.

Well, keep in mind it's a business without corporate deep pockets. They need to do what they can to survive.

I'm sorry, but the NST coverage had a miniscule amount to do with the little attendence gain TU football had this year. That was mostly to do with having an administrative and marketing staff that had a cohesive and workeable campaign for advertising for once, plus having a home schedule that included a group of schools that travel well. I know of a very large contingency of people that were actually quite upset that TU football was no longer on TMD-FM, as a matter of fact.

Well then I guess it's just coincidence then.

Archived