WNST Drew blogs about the Hangout

Miller192

If I have to read about the WNST pity party one more time I'm going to puke.

Un-bunch your panties and stop the whining already.

Like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, WNST has a very clear agenda. But unlike those hosts, the network has very few paying sponsors and even fewer listeners.

Perhaps it's because of the network's weak signal.

Perhaps it's because the owner is an anti-Semite and a bigot.

But even though WNST rips the Orioles 24-7, the team still provides them with a dozen media credentials, so that all those WNST reporters - Drew included - can attend every single Orioles home game for free.

How many O's fans would kill for the Orioles access that WNST already gets?

If the station had a crumb of access from the O's they would make sure to take advantage of that crumb as best as they can. But the O's have a partnership with another station, and would rather not hear the reality of how the team is, or have the stations jocks ask players or managers real thought out questions.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sometimes think people rip the station, just to seem cool, or they think they have a point. When they hardly know the situation that the station is in with the Orioles. People love listening to the station, but they dislike Nestor for personal reasons, so they take the O's side regardless of what the issue is.

I agree.

You are correct. It is all about Nestor. Many can't see past Nestor and therefore ANYTHING connected to WNST must be bad.

I just don't know how anyone can listen to Long, Haynie, etc and say that they are unfair to the O's let alone Oriole "haters".

I don't listen to the station anymore, mainly because I can't get it in since I moved. I liked the morning show before it was just Drew but when it went to Drew by himself I just couldn't stand it. I like Haynie and the Ravens show on Saturdays. I didn't like Rob Longs show much but I didn't really dislike him either. I don't know much about the new guys, I also have to stop listening whenever Nestor is on. I don't have a problem with being hard on the O's, they have earned that, but Drew and Nestor are so immature in the way they do it. They act like high school girls.

I don't listen to the station anymore, mainly because I can't get it in since I moved. I liked the morning show before it was just Drew but when it went to Drew by himself I just couldn't stand it. I like Haynie and the Ravens show on Saturdays. I didn't like Rob Longs show much but I didn't really dislike him either. I don't know much about the new guys, I also have to stop listening whenever Nestor is on. I don't have a problem with being hard on the O's, they have earned that, but Drew and Nestor are so immature in the way they do it. They act like high school girls.

If you go to wnst.net, you can listen to Bob and the Saturday show live from your PC.

I listened to WNST on my drive home today. Rob Long and Ray Bachman were arguing with a caller who said the Orioles won't be exciting or young this year. Both were happy with the moves MacPhail has made. Even Drew has said he likes MacPhail's moves. At most times of the day during the week, the most likely station in town (I flip channels a lot) to be talking about the Orioles is WNST. WJFK is national most of the day and mostly football in the afternoon, except when Roch is on with Anita. Steve Davis does a nice job, but that's a small time window, and when Gerry Sandusky fills in, expect all Ravens all the time.

You brought up Miller, Johnson and Brooks--that says a lot. Anyone who has ever met Brooks Robinson knows how nice the guy is. Peter Angelos clearly has some talent if he can manage to alienate Brooks.

I love the fact that there are three stations (4 if you count WHFS) that talk sports in town. I hope they are all here to stay.

I listen to Haynie all the time when I am on the move at work, and Long until his voice and sayings drive me to change the stations. I can not listen to Drew for more than 15 minutes and a Nestor segment, has me hitting the channel button within a minute. As far as ESPN radio, Viviano is good, the national stuff will draw my attention based on the subject and Marks show is better than she is. The guests are good. Jeremy adds to it, but she is easier to look at (MASN) than listen to.

If I have to read about the WNST pity party one more time I'm going to puke.

Un-bunch your panties and stop the whining already.

Like Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity, WNST has a very clear agenda. But unlike those hosts, the network has very few paying sponsors and even fewer listeners.

Perhaps it's because of the network's weak signal.

Perhaps it's because the owner is an anti-Semite and a bigot.

But even though WNST rips the Orioles 24-7, the team still provides them with a dozen media credentials, so that all those WNST reporters - Drew included - can attend every single Orioles home game for free.

How many O's fans would kill for the Orioles access that WNST already gets?

Amen!

The whole thing with them seems to stem from the fact that the team doesn't cater to them like the Ravens do. So what. It's not a disservice to fans...just them.

I'm a fan...and if I want to hear the players or MacPhail or Trembley, I'll listen to JFK or HFS. Or I'll watch/listen to content on their site. Or I'll check out MASN. If I want to beat the team up, I'm out of luck. I'd bet that goes for most teams in most markets.

If I wanted to call and beat up on Ray or Mason or any of the Ravens on their shows, I'd bet I'd have a hard time getting through.

Like someone said earlier...NST needs the team, not the other way around.

It's like NBC complaining that it's a disservice that Lost can't be broadcast on NBC, too. Get over it.

Drew fails to realize a few things:

1. He thinks he is going to the Os with an olive branch - yet he calls them names ("marketing simpletons" for example).

2. He doesn't realize that the issue is WNST, not Drew Forrester. Like it or not, he is affected by what his boss Nestor does to the Os - and Nestor is far from objective or even professional in his dealings with the Orioles. He doesn't realize that the Os may need to see Nestor act like a professional and not arrange boycott parties at the stadium before they are even willing to talk.

3. The Os will judge WNST and Drew by their actions. You don't keep doing business the same way, if you truly want to offer an olive branch. And asking to broadcast from ST isn't a reconciliation move, that's what WNST wants -- more access. If he really wants to offer an olive branch, show the Os that he and WNST know how to PUBLICIZE the Os and help them put fannies in the seats (they have done more protest rallies at the stadium than bus trips in the last 5 years). That's the benefit of PR to the Os. Nestor should be writing a book on the glory of Baltimore baseball, not about himself. What value does WNST serve the Os?

4. He goes over the edge when he says "I don't like their partnership arrangement" and then he criticizes other stations ("the super-glazed orange-and-black glasses outlook "). That's very unprofessional, you would never hear Vin Scully or Jon Miller doing that.

This Os forum seems to be largely anti-WNST; are there any Os forums in town that are largely pro-WNST? How do Drew and Nestor know that anyone supports how they have dealt with the Os? Then if true, change your actions and then offer the olive branch. Doing it in the other order is like a little child ("I'll stop calling you names if you stop calling me names...")

My .02

Archived