Top 2008 Draft Prospects: Justin Smoak

Key: (X) is their age at the time of the 2008 Draft

5. Justin Smoak {College 1B } (21). I love Smoak... in a manly way naturally. ;)

Justin was a borderline 1st rounder as a High School senior, and the switch-hitting first sacker has gone nothing to disappoint the South Carolina fan base since his freshman campaign in '06. Smoak is well built at 6' 3 200 lbs., with sound swing mechanics from both sides of the plate and generates both good average and good power. He has played very well in the Cape Cod League (Collegiate Wood Bat League) and projects quite well as a big leaguer. Justin has a decent eye, but can be a bit undisciplined. However, he does play a very good 1B.

The comparisons to Mark Teixeira have been and will be there, but Smoak should make his own 'mark' on the game he loves. I project Smoak as an outstanding defensive first baseman, with the following line a rough estimate of his hitting abilities> .285/.365/.485/.850 with 30'ish HR's and good run production.

A very solid choice for any team looking for an advanced college bat.

Greg's Grade (1-100) = 87

Next up> High School SS Tim Beckham.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Alvarez is gone by the time we pick at 4, I'm looking at Smoak. I want to see how Hosmer does this season--if he does well, he could move ahead of Smoak on my list.

Reason why Smoak is higher up on my list right now is because he's proven himself at the college ranks, and the Cape Cod League.

Greg, do you think Smoak has a chance of batting over .285? I am not exactly sure what Law projected for him in a couple of his chats but I believe it was around the .300-.310 range.

Alvarez, Beckham, Smoak and Hosmer; those are the four I want. This season should dictate the order in which they are drafted.

Greg, do you think Smoak has a chance of batting over .285? I am not exactly sure what Law projected for him in a couple of his chats but I believe it was around the .300-.310 range.

Alvarez, Beckham, Smoak and Hosmer; those are the four I want. This season should dictate the order in which they are drafted.

I like those 4, possibly in that order. We will be in position to draft one of those 4. If we draft a pitcher who isn't a clear future #1, I will feel disheartened.

He certainly can bat better than .285, but I am normally cautionary as concerns projections. Batting .300+ is a very real possibility.

I am big fan of your draft coverage. I was curious about your baseball background? Are you a former scout, player or just big fan?

Thanks for the kind words.

I am not a professional scout, nor former player, but as you said at the end... big fan. I follow the draft through various scouting services and the occasional inquiry into certain players. I base my ratings upon many factors, but most comes from the hard work and time put in by other sources, such as Baseball America, Baseball Prospectus, John Sickels and many other reputable services and sources. I have discoved through personal research that there is a pattern of success in which prospects are the most successful, and use my data to help me in my determinations of which youngsters to choose.

Quite soon I'm beginning my very own website, dedicated to the MLB draft, and it will be called MLB-Draft.com. :)

Archived