Top 2008 Draft Prospects: High School SS Tim Beckham

Any chance that the players you guys have just mentioned project higher than our middle IF we drafted in recent drafts (Henson, Blake Davis, Adams, etc.)?

Only Henson, at this juncture, would merit mention among the players we've mentioned as draft eligible middle infielders. This season will be huge in understanding how we'll view Henson's future. Were I to venture a guess, and if Henson were available in this year's draft, I'd think a team would be looking to take him around round three... again, that is knowing what we know now.

As for Davis and Adams... time will tell, but neither strike me as ones that have much of a chance at becoming contributing big leaguers. Adams has a big year ahead of him to reestablish his lofty draft status, and remind us why we thought so highly of him; although at this point I'd be pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Images from Matt Blood of BA today:

7:15 p.m. Monday, March 10, Stockbridge HS vs. Griffin HS, Griffin Field:

In my first look at Tim Beckham—the No. 1 prep player on the board for most clubs—I was able to see four at-bats, but what stuck with me most was a play in the field. Although he didn't have a ball hit to him all night, I can still see the smooth and easy way in which he turned a double play late in the game. The ball was hit to the second baseman and Beckham glided over to the bag, took the throw, smoothly transferred the ball to his throwing hand and gracefully threw it to first base with above-average arm strength. It looked routine as if he was already a professional.

Tim Beckham: The way he carries himself and his actions are all major league. Not to mention his incredible talent. For a visual, imagine a young, maturing Edgar Renteria.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/draft/news/2008/265733.html

Archived