The O's Most Difficult Cut(s) this Spring?

wildcard

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The O's want to repeat as AL East Champions. That should be the number one principle when deciding who is on the pitching staff. The best 5 starters are in the rotation if the O's want to win. That is Tillman, Chen, Norris, Gausman and Gonzo.

The best relievers to win are Britton, O'Day, Hunter, Brach, and Wesley Wright. The last two spots deal with contractual issues. Garcia is too good to send back (as far as we know now). So he stays. Jimenez is owed too much money to be released and he is untradable. So he gets the last spot.

That leaves Matusz and Webb without spots. Webb seems tradable. Its going to take an injury to someone on the pitching staff for Matusz to stay. That injury could be to Matusz. He did have surgery this off season. Otherwise the O's trade him. Either for a prospect or for a player that has an equal salary but has options. If that player has options he could be a pitcher but doesn't have to be.

I think winning has to be the guiding principle when determine the makeup of the pitching staff.

The most difficult cuts will be.

1. Flaherty when Cabrera makes the team

2. McFarland when the 6th starter loser goes to the bullpen

3. Webb and Matusz will be traded or cut to make room for Garcia

4. Paredes because Lough is so much better in the OF

All of this +1

Because he's the $39M elephant in the room.
I think that Ubaldo will need a good set of earplugs when he pitches in Camden Yards. If he pitches a no-hitter, fans will get on his case because it wasn't a perfect game. :rolleyestf:

I think that Ubaldo will need a good set of earplugs when he pitches in Camden Yards. If he pitches a no-hitter, fans will get on his case because it wasn't a perfect game. :rolleyestf:

Sorry, but that wasn't a very nice slam on Oriole fans.

Maybe in OH, they would slam him. :)

But, not at the ballpark.

Have you read all of those Facebook posts? I was appalled at what (presumed) Os fans were posting on Ubaldo's birthday. I can see people posting criticisms of his pitching; I have no problem with that. But when Os fans post stuff about how he's a "piece of trash" on his birthday thread, that's when I get a bit ticked off.

By the way, the Os fans were booing him soundly at OPACY during the clincher game last year -- I was there. Fortunately, Ubaldo had the presence of mind to get his stuff together and start striking batters out and the booing stopped and eventually turned into cheers. However, I also know (I was at that game asa well) that when Wei-Yin Chen got knocked out early during the playoffs, there was a bit of muttering, but no boos; he got some cheers as he left the game. Same with Zach Britton when he walked a bunch of batters after the birth of his son.

And a few more disclaimers: the people on Orioles Hangout have mostly been respectful of Os players. As for booing when an Os pitcher pitching a no-hitter, I was being a bit on the over-dramatic side; I didn't literally mean it.

Sorry, but that wasn't a very nice slam on Oriole fans.

Maybe in OH, they would slam him. :)

But, not at the ballpark.

When we won the Al East last year, a bit of rumbling after Ubaldo ran up 60 pitches and had given up two runs turned to complete adoration and simultaneous joy after he righted his ship, shut the Jays down, and won us a clinching game.

Have you read all of those Facebook posts? I was appalled at what (presumed) Os fans were posting on Ubaldo's birthday. I can see people posting criticisms of his pitching; I have no problem with that. But when Os fans post stuff about how he's a "piece of trash" on his birthday thread, that's when I get a bit ticked off.

Here, and especially in unmoderated internet pages, many people who are not Orioles fans assume that persona to try to make trouble for those who are.

Archived