1. 1. What Do You Expect from David Lough in 2015

• Orioles starting LF, maybe even leadoff batter
    • On 25-man almost all year, @300 PAs
    • On the shuttle between Norfolk and Baltimore
    • Spends the majority of the year in Orioles' minor leagues
    • Spends majority of season in minor leagues of another organization
    • Starts in outfield for another major league team

This poll is closed to new votes

There is some passionate, unbridled David Lough love on this board. That's cool. It's great to be a fan. We all have our favorites, for whatever reason. i just can't put my finger on what it is about David Lough. Is it because he is 5'11''? Because the Orioles acquired him in a trade? 'Cuz he's an underdog? Is he a modern-day "great white hope?" :laughlol::laughlol::laughlol:

Here's a chance to get the consensus of the board early in spring training. Break out your crystal balls and let us know what you expect from David Lough this season.

Note: Options aside, I have provided selections which allow Lough to remain in the organization in the minors, regardless of how that might come to be.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is some passionate, unbridled David Lough love on this board. That's cool. It's great to be a fan. We all have our favorites, for whatever reason. i just can't put my finger on what it is about David Lough. Is it because he is 5'11''? Because the Orioles acquired him in a trade? 'Cuz he's an underdog? Is he a modern-day "great white hope?" :laughlol::laughlol::laughlol:

Here's a chance to get the consensus of the board early in spring training. Break out your crystal balls and let us know what you expect from David Lough this season.

Note: Options aside, I have provided selections which allow Lough to remain in the organization in the minors, regardless of how that might come to be.

David Lough would be claimed 15 times if DFA'd. And That's not my love speaking. He has accumulated over 4 WAR in 597 MLB at bats.

Since he has no options, three of your choices are invalid.

Not having options doesn't preclude you from playing in the minors. If no one wants Lough to play in the majors he will be at triple A somewhere.

Not having options doesn't preclude you from playing in the minors. If no one wants Lough to play in the majors he will be at triple A somewhere.

Someone would claim Lough. He is at worst a much better 4th OFer for quite a few teams. And could start for several others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone would claim Lough. He is at worst a much better 4th OFer for quite a few teams. And could start for several others.

His offensive WAR was only .4 last year. I' don't think most teams are looking for an all glove and no bat outfielder. I wouldn't be suprised if no one claimed him.

His offensive WAR was only .4 last year. I' don't think most teams are looking for an all glove and no bat outfielder. I wouldn't be suprised if no one claimed him.

His bat wasn't awful in the second half. And .4 WAR would be an upgrade for most teams.

Maybe he would clear, but I doubt it.

Why is it that some people can't grasp that Lough had concussion symptoms the first part of last season, and hit well the second half. If you want to know why he didn't play more the second half, it was because Buck wasn't sitting Pearce, Cruz, or Markakis. But that doesn't mean he didn't think Lough could hit.

Why is it that some people can't grasp that Lough had concussion symptoms the first part of last season, and hit well the second half. If you want to know why he didn't play more the second half, it was because Buck wasn't sitting Pearce, Cruz, or Markakis. But that doesn't mean he didn't think Lough could hit.

It isn't/wasn't well publicized that he had injury issues.

There were nine MLB outfielders last year who totaled less than 0.4 overall WAR, and qualified for the batting title (i.e. 502+ PAs). Lough's offensive WAR was greater than Shin Soo Choo or Justin Upton or Jay Bruce or Torii Hunter or Alex Rios' total WAR.

There were 147 outfielders who had Lough's PA totals or greater last year. Lough was tied with Marlon Byrd in total WAR, in 60th place. It would be fairly astonishing that a slightly below average offensive player with plus defense would pass through the 29 other team's waiver claims untouched.

There were 147 outfielders who had Lough's PA totals or greater last year. Lough was tied with Marlon Byrd in total WAR, in 60th place. It would be fairly astonishing that a slightly below average offensive player with plus defense would pass through the 29 other team's waiver claims untouched.

Nice work (once again), Drungo. And of these 60 players above Lough in terms of WAR with 147+ PAs, I would wager that less than ten of them earn less than $550,000 as he does. If he were at De Aza's salary we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But for half a mil, he's a keeper.

Since he has no options, three of your choices are invalid.

we could have said about Almanzar last spring that ending the season in the Orioles' minors was invalid, but crazy things can happen.

I'm going to guess on the three options you believe are invalid:

with repeated injuries, Lough's on the shuttle...rehabbing

Lough could pass through waivers and accept assignment

he could refuse assignment and sign a minor league deal with another team

just believing he would be claimed does not invalidate the options.

Archived