Guesses on the first round of cut?

wildcard

Clevenger is not making this club as a backup catcher.

He wont be on the first round of cuts, but he will be let go, before Opening Day.

Clevenger is more likely to be optioned than let go. But he could be the back up if Wieters is not ready of opening day.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Clevenger is more likely to be optioned than let go. But he could be the back up if Wieters is not ready of opening day.

In my opinion, he played his last game with the big league team behind the plate last year.

I think they will look at all the other catchers and see about one of them being backup, if Wieters isn't ready.

In my opinion, he played his last game with the big league team behind the plate last year.

I think they will look at all the other catchers and see about one of them being backup, if Wieters isn't ready.

I understand what you are saying but I am not quite there yet for a couple of reasons.

1) There has been talk this spring that Clevenger has improved his defense.

2) He is on the 40 man roster and has options which means he could come up for a short period very easily. And be sent back down.

Arencibia who is his competition is on a minor league contract and it will cost the O's maybe 2M to put him on the major league roster. Arencibi's minor league contract might pay him 200K but if he makes it to the majors it will be closer to 2M. To make calling Arencibia up worth it, it has to be for longer than two weeks.

I understand what you are saying but I am not quite there yet for a couple of reasons.

1) There has been talk this spring that Clevenger has improved his defense.

2) He is on the 40 man roster and has options which means he could come up for a short period very easily. And be sent back down.

Arencibia who is his competition is on a minor league contract and it will cost the O's maybe 2M to put him on the major league roster. Arencibi's minor league contract might pay him 200K but if he makes it to the majors it will be closer to 2M. To make calling Arencibia up worth it, it has to be forlonger than two weeks.

Nice to know about improved defense.

Buck was really talking Arencibia up the other day, and yes, I know, Buck has been known to say nice things about his guys. When the payroll is 120+, 2 million is not really that much more than league minimum. Not enough to make roster decisions on.

Buck was really talking Arencibia up the other day, and yes, I know, Buck has been known to say nice things about his guys. When the payroll is 120+, 2 million is not really that much more than league minimum. Not enough to make roster decisions on.

I don't agree. DD watches every dollar. That is not be say that they will not make moves that cost money if they are the best moves. But with alternatives that are close in performance they will take the cheaper one.

When you are close to maxed out payroll, every dollar matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Alvarez was showboating after a home run. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't actually see it happen.

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Orioles' Showalter doesn't like Dariel Alvarez admiring home run

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]by R.J. White | CBSSports.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD](3/8/15) Orioles outfield prospect Dariel Alvarez smacked a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-6 loss to the Red Sox, but manager Buck Showalter didn't like the way he admired his home run coming out of the batter's box, the Baltimore Sun reports.

"He did a couple things that got him noticed today, some good and some bad," Showalter said. "He had a good at-bat. Is that the first home run he hit in his career? I don't think so. Somehow, I thought it might have been. He's very exuberant. He likes to play. He's a good kid. We like him. He does a lot of things well."

Alvarez, who is 3 for 5 with one home run this spring, hit .306/.330/.472 with 15 home runs, 87 RBI and eight stolen bases in 532 at-bats with Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk in 2014.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

[TABLE]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD]Orioles' Showalter doesn't like Dariel Alvarez admiring home run

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]by R.J. White | CBSSports.com[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD](3/8/15) Orioles outfield prospect Dariel Alvarez smacked a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-6 loss to the Red Sox, but manager Buck Showalter didn't like the way he admired his home run coming out of the batter's box, the Baltimore Sun reports.

"He did a couple things that got him noticed today, some good and some bad," Showalter said. "He had a good at-bat. Is that the first home run he hit in his career? I don't think so. Somehow, I thought it might have been. He's very exuberant. He likes to play. He's a good kid. We like him. He does a lot of things well."

Alvarez, who is 3 for 5 with one home run this spring, hit .306/.330/.472 with 15 home runs, 87 RBI and eight stolen bases in 532 at-bats with Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk in 2014.

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

It is an adjustment to learn to play baseball the American way. In Cuba where Alvarez has spent his whole life, that kind of thing is completely normal. Likewise in other Latin American nations. In the US, we want our players to put their heads down and run around the bases. Personally I don't mind the passion of the Latin American players, and am not offended but it is hard to change the culture of baseball in America even though nearly a third of MLB roster spots are held by Latino players. It probably doesn't help that the vast majority of coaches and managers are old white dudes.

I just wanted to give some context to the situation. See in this as a personal failing on Alvarez's part fails to see the nuances in the situation.

Dariel Alvarez smacked a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-6 loss to the Red Sox, but manager Buck Showalter didn't like the way he admired his home run coming out of the batter's box, the Baltimore Sun reports.

I'm not sure what MLB's obsession is w/ not celebrating something great. This wasn't Alvarez's first HR, but I'm sure it was his first HR in ML spring training. Something would be wrong w/ him if he wasn't excited.

It is an adjustment to learn to play baseball the American way. In Cuba where Alvarez has spent his whole life, that kind of thing is completely normal. Likewise in other Latin American nations. In the US, we want our players to put their heads down and run around the bases. Personally I don't mind the passion of the Latin American players, and am not offended but it is hard to change the culture of baseball in America even though nearly a third of MLB roster spots are held by Latino players. It probably doesn't help that the vast majority of coaches and managers are old white dudes.

I just wanted to give some context to the situation. See in this as a personal failing on Alvarez's part fails to see the nuances in the situation.

Do you have this same opinion when Ortiz shows us up on his monster blasts? If so, okay, I have no argument. But if not, well we cannot be okay with our players doing it but get upset when the other team does it.

I personally hate the showboating stuff in sports today, whether it be taking 3 minutes to round the bases on a home run, or dancing every time a player makes a sack in the NFL (especially if the sacker's team is getting killed in the game). But then again...I'm a middle aged white dude. ;)

Dariel Alvarez smacked a three-run home run with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning in Saturday's 7-6 loss to the Red Sox, but manager Buck Showalter didn't like the way he admired his home run coming out of the batter's box, the Baltimore Sun reports.

I'm not sure what MLB's obsession is w/ not celebrating something great. This wasn't Alvarez's first HR, but I'm sure it was his first HR in ML spring training. Something would be wrong w/ him if he wasn't excited.

He hit a HR in a game we still lost. Getting excited about that is frankly ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding of the team concept of the game.

Archived