Oh! How doing that during the anthem rankles some people

JohnD

Last I checked, Baltimore is one of the most urban, industrial cities in the nation. It's an annoying song too. But I don't deny it's become ingrained.

Yeah, I agree. I remember when the temporarily stopped it, replacing it with Twist and Shoot, but that got booed. FYI - I beleive I read that Mark Belanger's wife was actually the person to suggest that it be played.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" at all. I don't get it. I mean, I guess it's catchy. But what on Earth does it have to do with Baltimore or the Orioles? Srock pointed out that it "doesn't really embody the diverse city" of Baltimore. I agree 100%. It didn't bother me at Memorial Stadium; it just confused me. But from day one, OPACY has been so freaking white; embarassingly not remotely as diverse as the actual Oriole fanbase. And to me, that song is so freaking white.

This is just my opinion. I don't think I necessarily speak for anyone else. I'm just a white guy who was fortunate enough to grow up in a pretty diverse neighborhood. I don't think I'm in Bob Denver's target market.

I don't like "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" at all. I don't get it. I mean, I guess it's catchy. But what on Earth does it have to do with Baltimore or the Orioles? Srock pointed out that it "doesn't really embody the diverse city" of Baltimore. I agree 100%. It didn't bother me at Memorial Stadium; it just confused me. But from day one, OPACY has been so freaking white; embarassingly not remotely as diverse as the actual Oriole fanbase. And to me, that song is so freaking white.

This is just my opinion. I don't think I necessarily speak for anyone else. I'm just a white guy who was fortunate enough to grow up in a pretty diverse neighborhood. I don't think I'm in Bob Denver's target market.

You might be over-analyzing the song, looking for some sort of meaning where there isn't any. It's just a random song. I don't know that any song out there (aside from some PR department-produced drivel) is going to capture Baltimore or Orioles-fandom appropriately.

That may be true, but I'll tell you what: those West Virginians LOVE that song, and a lot of them get watery eyes when they hear it. They have some emotional, physiological and spiritual connection to it.

Some of my fondest football memories are tied to that song, especially at the Fiesta Bowl this year.

That may be true, but I'll tell you what: those West Virginians LOVE that song, and a lot of them get watery eyes when they hear it. They have some emotional, physiological and spiritual connection to it.

Oh yeah, they love it out here. It's kinda cool and weird at the same time.

I love stadium traditions in general. I think they should be cherished. Whether it's Country Boy or Sweet Caroline or Boog's BBQ or the Yankee Stadium roll call. They are all great. I've been to dozens of ballparks and they are all 95% the same. It's the variations that make the stadium experience what it is.

Does Sweet Caroline have anything to do with Boston?

Thanks for the quote, but to clarify, I can see both sides of the argument. I have no problem with using it, but it obviously has flaws. Unless a better song can be found, I am for keeping it.

I am currently listening to music tagged 'Baltimore' on Last.fm searching for a possible replacement.

Between "Country Boy" and the "O" chant, I picture a bunch of folks in denim overalls with hay between their teeth. The "O" chant comes across as a yahoo thing to do. It's all fun I suppose up through college. However, there comes a time when people need to grow up, and show proper respect for three lousy minutes. I shake my head when I hear "O" now. What rankles me much more are the men who don't have sense enough to remove their caps when the anthem is played.

I wouldn't mind it if it was a decent song. But it's not. It's a crappy song that's so bad it's freakin' embarrassing. What the hell kind of song is it anyway? It's not a country song. Country music doesn't sound like that. It's a poor imitation of a hillbilly song, and it's by a geeky has-been rock star. He was never even a real star. He used to be a wannabe, and now he's a has-been. That's just what we need while rebuilding the franchise and its image: maintain an association between the Baltimore Orioles and a *fake* hillbilly song by a geeky has-been music star.

I wonder if there is a way to count which poster is most subject to the "ignore" feature?

I spent the first two-thirds of my life in Maryland, and the latter third elsewhere. That "O" in the anthem brings me home every time I hear it. I married a fellow Marylander, and whenever we're at any sort of (non-Orioles) event where the anthem is performed, we look at each other and mouth the "O." When we see the Orioles play - Texas, Florida, wherever - we scream it at the top of our lungs. People look at us like we're nuts. I always think... "Wait 'til October. They'll hear it on TV and know what we were doing."

As far as "Country Boy" is concerned, I remember when Eli Jacobs got rid of it in favor of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." People were LIVID. So much so it morphed into the Ballgame/Country Boy medley. Why should they keep it? They should keep it just because of the fact that it makes absolutely no sense that that particular song is featured at a ballpark in a Post-Industrial, Mid-Atlantic city. It's quirky. Baltimore is quirky. It is a part of the CHARM.

I don't see a problem doing the "O" chant at Camden Yards. At this point, it's basically a Baltimore/Orioles tradition. Nobody's trying to be disrespectful to the singer. Besides, if someone's singing the anthem at Camden Yards, I'm sure they already know (or are told beforehand) to expect it. I go to most home games and I've never seen a singer lose their place or get rattled by the "O" chant.

However, I don't agree with doing the "O" chant anywhere else. If you're an Orioles fan at a visiting ballpark, there's no reason to do it. It'll just seem out of place and jarring for you to shout while everyone else is silent, and nobody will know what the heck it means anyway. They'll just think you're being a jerk.

However, I don't agree with doing the "O" chant anywhere else. If you're an Orioles fan at a visiting ballpark, there's no reason to do it. It'll just seem out of place and jarring for you to shout while everyone else is silent, and nobody will know what the heck it means anyway. They'll just think you're being a jerk.

When people look at me funny, I just tell'em the story. In my personal experience, it leads to smiles and new friends.

Archived