Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-0310-20150309-story.html#page=1

Chris Davis has done his best to sidestep talk about his uncertain contract situation beyond this season, but he said Monday that his long-term future with the team may depend on the long-term outlook for it.

Thought?

I call BS, and I like Chris, and hope he was taken out of context.

What does he mean long term outlook?

I think it's pretty clear that DD and Buck have a plan to keep this team at the top of the Al EAST and going after World Series titles.

I think everything Chris had to say makes a lot of sense.

Isn't that what we all want? Aren't we all worried about what happens at the end of this season? How far will the front office go to commit to winning for the next bunch of years? It's been a nice 3-year sample, but I don't think any of us have 100% trust that they will do what needs to be done to continue the winning ways. I do trust Dan Duquette, but hey, 14 years doesn't erase easily.

Well said Dan-O.

Isn't that what we all want? Aren't we all worried about what happens at the end of this season? How far will the front office go to commit to winning for the next bunch of years? It's been a nice 3-year sample, but I don't think any of us have 100% trust that they will do what needs to be done to continue the winning ways. I do trust Dan Duquette, but hey, 14 years doesn't erase easily.

I am worried, not going to lie. Particularly when we know DD really wants to be in Toronto. That gives me a big pause. I still predict a deal gets worked out with them. PA isn't know for his speediness with such things. I think something is happening behind the scenes. Then, if Brady Anderson takes over, who knows what he will do. My guess? He picks a couple of the guys and they get paid. Will they be the right ones? Who knows.

Isn't that what we all want? Aren't we all worried about what happens at the end of this season? How far will the front office go to commit to winning for the next bunch of years? It's been a nice 3-year sample, but I don't think any of us have 100% trust that they will do what needs to be done to continue the winning ways. I do trust Dan Duquette and of course Buck, but hey, 14 years doesn't erase easily.

I third the motion, well said Dan.

I think it's pretty clear that DD and Buck have a plan to keep this team at the top of the Al EAST and going after World Series titles.

It's pretty clear he is not going to take a 3 year extension or whatever it is the Orioles may offer.

He wants that fat 8 year deal.

He gon!

It's pretty clear he is not going to take a 3 year extension or whatever it is the Orioles may offer.

He wants that fat 8 year deal.

He gon!

I would definitely let MW walk. Vastly overrated IMO. I think CD may still sign for a reasonable price. I could be wrong, but we will see.

Chen is gone.

Tillman has to be extended. I am surprised that hasn't been done already.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-chris-davis-0310-20150309-story.html#page=1

Chris Davis has done his best to sidestep talk about his uncertain contract situation beyond this season, but he said Monday that his long-term future with the team may depend on the long-term outlook for it.

Thought?

I believe the O's are committed to the future. What else does he wAnt? Team has

gone to playoffs.

This. I'm petrified that they're just going to let CD/Wieters/Chen/Tillman/Jones/Manny walk, fail to replace them, and we'll be left with a bunch of spare parts. You need to at least make some effort to retain your best players.

We locked up AJ. That worked because he met us halfway and signed a team friendly deal at a time in his career when it was still a risk for the team. Same thing with JJ. I don't see either scenario happening with Wieters or Davis.

We locked up AJ. That worked because he met us halfway and signed a team friendly deal at a time in his career when it was still a risk for the team. Same thing with JJ. I don't see either scenario happening with Wieters or Davis.

Davis' career was floundering at best with Texas before Buck traded for him. I think their is some gratitude there. I really do.

You could be right in the day and age because nobody seems to care about common sense and taking a little less to choose where you actually want to play, but let's hope not. To me, Chris may have the personality to tell his high-profile agent, no. No way do I see MW doing that. .

This. I'm petrified that they're just going to let CD/Wieters/Chen/Tillman/Jones/Manny walk, fail to replace them, and we'll be left with a bunch of spare parts. You need to at least make some effort to retain your best players.

No team keeps all of their good players but no team also fails to replace all of them. The reserve clause no longer exists so there will always be uncertainty for several years down the road. And the Orioles are in a unique situation with so many free agents after the 2015 season. But worrying about the Orioles letting Jones and Manny walk when both have four years of team control left is just silly.

If the O's wanted to prove they were in it to win this year, they would have non-tendered him and brought in someone more dependable.

There is virtually nothing the O's can do between now and CD becoming a free agent that will prove to him that they want to keep this going, and he knows that. He is a Boras client, he will be a free agent, and he probably will leave. I'm not sure how saying something like this is supposed to change anything.

I think he's making it pretty clear... He has no intentions of playing longterm for a team that's going to continually let guys walk/trade them off for prospects to keep the budget at a certain level. The O's have a lot of guys that are going to be due for paydays very shortly. If the team's answer to that is to continually look for cheaper alternatives, Chris intends to play elsewhere.

I would definitely let MW walk. Vastly overrated IMO. I think CD may still sign for a reasonable price. I could be wrong, but we will see.

Chen is gone.

Tillman has to be extended. I am surprised that hasn't been done already.

Sorry but with Boras as agent and Chris being a power hitting 1st, there is no way, he is signing for a reasonable price.

Archived