Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

Just watched High Heat on MLB Network, and while I can't often stomach Chris Russo, must say I loved his rant on what Davis had to say -- or, rather, the fact that he felt he had any placing opening his mouth at all.

I feel just like the other poster (sorry, don't recall who it was) when they remarked that Monica Barlow's absence is really being felt this offseason...

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just simply stating that I understand his concern in the article.. not what the Orioles should or shouldn't do. Thats all.

I understand Mayor.

But again, I see Davis quotes where he says maybe Duke should have approached him last season for an extension, but I see absolutely nothing from him about how we DID approach him after the 2012 and 2013 seasons and he (or Boras) had no interest in an extension.

As for worrying about Kakes and the impending 2015 free agents, its none of Davis or Jones business and they need to keep their feelings internal to the organization and not complain through the media. I'm sure we ALL have friends who we have worked with and they lost their jobs at our company, and we probably felt the company was wrong. Because they are our friends. If we are the decision makers, there is almost certainly valid reasons why those people were let go. Just as there are valid reasons why the Orioles were unwilling to match 44 million dollars from Atlanta.

Davis needs to play ball and negotiate his contract the proper way, not through the media. He will lose more fans than gain by doing this stuff, that is for sure.

I understand Mayor.

But again, I see Davis quotes where he says maybe Duke should have approached him last season for an extension, but I see absolutely nothing from him about how we DID approach him after the 2012 and 2013 seasons and he (or Boras) had no interest in an extension.

As for worrying about Kakes and the impending 2015 free agents, its none of Davis or Jones business and they need to keep their feelings internal to the organization and not complain through the media. I'm sure we ALL have friends who we have worked with and they lost their jobs at our company, and we probably felt the company was wrong. Because they are our friends. If we are the decision makers, there is almost certainly valid reasons why those people were let go. Just as there are valid reasons why the Orioles were unwilling to match 44 million dollars from Atlanta.

Davis needs to play ball and negotiate his contract the proper way, not through the media. He will lose more fans than gain by doing this stuff, that is for sure.

I 100% agree with everything above.

His argument is that "some" winning teams are willing to offer those fat contracts unfortunately for Davis he is not playing on one of them.

I think the Orioles slap a QO on Davis and offer what they feel is a fair deal and not budge. They have their limits and are OK with losing Davis and taking the pick if thats what it comes down to.

1. Our ownership shows zero interest in winning

2. Our players, very high profile ones, are starting to notice this and are justifiably mad about it. What's stopping Jones from requestig a trade? Why commit to a team who doesn't care about winning? Say what you want about Davis, but why would you want to get on the bad side of someone who you are heavily relying on to contribute? There's no way the team plays up to its potential if there's unrest in the clubhouse.

3. We're basically doing everything in our power to make Manny hate it here so we don't have to re-sign him. If he comes back to full strength this year, he absolutely deserves a nine figure contract.

I'm sick of the stupid rules like not even entertaining non-bargain free agents, refusing to take chances on the best Cuban/Japanese players...I'm all for being fiscally responsible but sometimes you need to take calculated risks to keep your players and fanbase happy. How can you expect your players to be happy if you're clearly not doing everything you can to improve the talent/infrastructure/etc? Our GM doesn't even want to be here. What am I missing?

1. No interest in winning? Where have you been the last three years?

2. I think you are overstating Adam and how "mad" he is.

3. Really, we are now making Manny hate it here?

They are taking risks with foreign players, just not throwing money around like the Dodgers are.

You have talked directly to Dan and you know for a fact, he doesn't want to be here?

Knowing that the entire core of this team will vanish in the near future with little effort to retain or replace them with similar talent is a hard pill to swallow for me. I'm not ready to go back to when Tike Redman was one of our starting outfielders.

Year G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+ TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB Pos

2007 30 BAL AL 40 139 132 23 42 9 2 2 16 7 1 5 18 .318 .341 .462 .803 109 61 2 0 1 1 0 8/7

I'd take that production myself. Better than Nick.

1. No interest in winning? Where have you been the last three years?

2. I think you are overstating Adam and how "mad" he is.

3. Really, we are now making Manny hate it here?

They are taking risks with foreign players, just not throwing money around like the Dodgers are.

You have talked directly to Dan and you know for a fact, he doesn't want to be here?

Adam is a good friend to Nick. He's made about nothing other than that pop up with men on last inning. Dan definitely had said that he would like to have the opportunity to make five times as much and be president/CEO of a team. He never indicated that he has any frustration with his current job. Especially not for budget restrictions. I don't think many folks understand that. Do you think Dan Duquette will raise Toronto's budget? Or cut it?

I understand Mayor.

As for worrying about Kakes and the impending 2015 free agents, its none of Davis or Jones business and they need to keep their feelings internal to the organization and not complain through the media.

For me there's a difference between these two since Jones has committed to the team, and so he should have more leeway to speak his mind. Davis, on the other hand should not.

Remember when Tony P. called out Mark Teixeira after he signed with NY, pointing out, rightly, that if Teixeira had instead come and led the O's back to being a contender, he could have become a genuine Maryland hero for the rest of his life, rather than being just another richly paid, soon-to-be-forgotten ballplayer (paraphrasing)? To a lesser degree, that's out there for Davis, Weiters and eventually, Manny. Not that they have the Maryland connections to become the next Ripken. But by making long term commitments and then delivering, they could find themselves sitting pretty for life in a place that treats its sports heroes extremely well.

Adam is a good friend to Nick. He's made about nothing other than that pop up with men on last inning.

I get that and so does Buck and Buck said as much.

But some posters in OH are overstating how mad Adam is, and linking him with Davis at being totally dissatisfied.

Let's forget about hurt feelings and who is right or wrong in the negotiations for a minute. Let's instead focus on what happens if we lose Davis, Wieters, Pearce, De Aza, Chen, Norris, O'Day, Hunter and some others. Does that leave us in position to field a pennant contender in 2016? And if not, is that just something we have to accept in order to keep the team competitive in the longer run by not locking into huge contracts?

On the pitching side, I think we're OK losing Chen and Norris. We ride next year with Tillman, Gausman, Gonzalez, Jimenez, Bundy and the 2015 AAA brigade. All of those are under team control through 2017 or beyond. We'll have to find some cheaper guys for the bullpen, but there usually are plenty of those around.

The offense is a tougher call. We have to keep an eye on guys like Walker and Alvarez, but we may need to find a 1B/OF type or two, and almost certainly we'll need to sign a catcher, where the pickings are quite slim next offseason. In some instances, it may be a choice between paying top dollar to retain one of our own, vs. paying top dollar to sign a good player from another team. Filling in with the types of guys you can sign for $2-3 mm may not be enough with that many gaps.

Personally, I think we'll try pretty hard to keep Wieters, though we may fall short.

For me there's a difference between these two since Jones has committed to the team, and so he should have more leeway to speak his mind. Davis, on the other hand should not.

Remember when Tony P. called out Mark Teixeira after he signed with NY, pointing out, rightly, that if Teixeira had instead come and led the O's back to being a contender, he could have become a genuine Maryland hero for the rest of his life, rather than being just another richly paid, soon-to-be-forgotten ballplayer (paraphrasing)? To a lesser degree, that's out there for Davis, Weiters and eventually, Manny. Not that they have the Maryland connections to become the next Ripken. But by making long term commitments and then delivering, they could find themselves sitting pretty for life in a place that treats its sports heroes extremely well.

Quite true. Every bit of it.

Let's forget about hurt feelings and who is right or wrong in the negotiations for a minute. Let's instead focus on what happens if we lose Davis, Wieters, Pearce, De Aza, Chen, Norris, O'Day, Hunter and some others. Does that leave us in position to field a pennant contender in 2016? And if not, is that just something we have to accept in order to keep the team competitive in the longer run by not locking into huge contracts?

On the pitching side, I think we're OK losing Chen and Norris. We ride next year with Tillman, Gausman, Gonzalez, Jimenez, Bundy and the 2015 AAA brigade. All of those are under team control through 2017 or beyond. We'll have to find some cheaper guys for the bullpen, but there usually are plenty of those around.

The offense is a tougher call. We have to keep an eye on guys like Walker and Alvarez, but we may need to find a 1B/OF type or two, and almost certainly we'll need to sign a catcher, where the pickings are quite slim next offseason. In some instances, it may be a choice between paying top dollar to retain one of our own, vs. paying top dollar to sign a good player from another team. Filling in with the types of guys you can sign for $2-3 mm may not be enough with that many gaps.

Personally, I think we'll try pretty hard to keep Wieters, though we may fall short.

Good Post. We may well keep Pearce too.

Regardless of how mad he is, I don't think getting into the business of doing nothing to show you want to help out your current/future faces the team is a good idea. I'm not saying bend over backwards at every request, but at least pretend you care about winning.

Do you actually believe what you type.

Pretend about winning?

Regardless of how mad he is, I don't think getting into the business of doing nothing to show you want to help out your current/future faces the team is a good idea. I'm not saying bend over backwards at every request, but at least pretend you care about winning.

How do you show you care about winning?

By holding onto your FO of the year winning VP?

By increasing payroll?

By retaining your arbitration eligible players?

By making market value offers to players?

We're clearly not doing enough. These guys aren't just making things up and complaining for the sake of it. They're obviously not fans of the offseason we had. As a player, I'd probably have expected more too. Maybe go a hair above your budget for a year and bring Cruz back. Yeah the last 2 years will probably not yield good returns, but the current team is better and our players wouldn't be as pissed at ownership/the front office.

Would you say that De Aza is pretty much taking Cruz's spot on the roster?

The "hair" you are talking about is 10 million dollars in 2015. The O's already have committed more to payroll in 2015 then they ever have before.

Maybe if the O's had non-tendered Davis they would have an extra 10 million just laying around.

Archived