Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he's making it pretty clear... He has no intentions of playing longterm for a team that's going to continually let guys walk/trade them off for prospects to keep the budget at a certain level. The O's have a lot of guys that are going to be due for paydays very shortly. If the team's answer to that is to continually look for cheaper alternatives, Chris intends to play elsewhere.

They resigned Jones previously and now they resigned Hardy.

They wanted Nick, until Nick got a forth year.

I think DD has a plan, and he isn't going to grossly over spend.

Every team has a budget, and I don't believe 120+ million, is a penny pinching budget for a mid market team.

The old direction of the team line. He will go wherever Boras sends him. If it is a poor team he will be "impressed" with their rebuilding process and be happy to be part of it. If the O's do it right, they can't afford to have one player take up over 10% of their payroll unless he is indeed special. I am not sure Davis is that person, perhaps Manny if he continues to prove himself and stays healthy.

They resigned Jones previously and now they resigned Hardy.

They wanted Nick, until Nick got a forth year.

I think DD has a plan, and he isn't going to grossly over spend.

Every team has a budget, and I don't believe 120+ million, is a penny pinching budget for a mid market team.

And they've got a TON of guys that are in a walk year, now. I think Chris wants to see what happens with some of them before he makes any commitments. Isn't interested in signing and then seeing all of the other walk year guys, well, walk, and get replaced with bargain bin parts.

I think he's making it pretty clear... He has no intentions of playing longterm for a team that's going to continually let guys walk/trade them off for prospects to keep the budget at a certain level. The O's have a lot of guys that are going to be due for paydays very shortly. If the team's answer to that is to continually look for cheaper alternatives, Chris intends to play elsewhere.

There are a handful of teams with the budget to keep all the players they'd like to keep. Which one is likely to give Chris Davis a huge contract? Is he one of the top 1B in baseball?

I don't really have a problem with what Davis said, I think he is going to be asked about this all year and he just needs to deflect it in a manner that respects the media's questions while leaving his options open.

Having said that, my immediate reaction is questioning whether Davis should be a part of the O's long term plans. Was 2013 or 2014 the real Chris Davis. For me, Tillman, Machado and maybe even Wieters would take priority over him. I think he has not been consistent enough to warrant a long term deal.

This. I'm petrified that they're just going to let CD/Wieters/Chen/Tillman/Jones/Manny walk, fail to replace them, and we'll be left with a bunch of spare parts. You need to at least make some effort to retain your best players.

If Tillman and Manny want to extend on team friendly deals, great. If not, give them a QO, and hopefully they don't even true to negotiate with the rest and just give them a QO as well.

If watching Nick leave "opened" Chris' eyes, I hope he keeps them open all year when the Braves finish much lower in their division than we will.

It seems like some posters here seem to think the Orioles will be down to 15 people on the roster next year. I'm quite pleased with the pitching situation and our lack of expensive commitments.

It seems like we're going to have this basic argument every single offseason. No matter how well you do in the regular season people assume that the only way to improve is to sign high-profile players to expensive contracts.

A team run the way Chris Davis thinks it should be run would look a lot like the ~2010 Phillies. Sign your best players to big contracts regardless of their age, make big trades to acquire well known players, etc. And yes, they win games until the weight of the contracts makes it impossible to improve any further and then you start losing.

He's also completely full of sh*t suggesting he and Scott would have signed any kind of extension last year. Maybe a 7yr/150M extension, but there's no way they were considering any discounts at that point

Archived