Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

How did I assume? I ask a question, but nice job coming at me. Sorry every player says they love the city they play for that means nothing.

"Blame the owner for not paying the going rate." You proved my earlier post within a few minutes.

And I didn't come at you, I answered your question. Don't start an argument here when there isn't one.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I disagree with most it seems but I would rather see us keep Weiters as opposed to Davis. I think we have our future 1st baseman in Childs Walker, have excellent pitching depth, and have some promising outfielders. I also think we should see if Machado can actually play a full season without a debilitating injury and then look at signing him to a ten year deal before arbitration starts. The guy is not even 23 yet.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles rarely spend money on relief pitchers. Zach Britton knows it works, but he also hopes it changes soon. <a href="http://t.co/bHScDkjIpu">http://t.co/bHScDkjIpu</a></p>— David Wilson (@DBWilson2) <a href="
">March 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Add another.

Do you want to get extended?

Tip #1, don't be a Boras client.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Orioles rarely spend money on relief pitchers. Zach Britton knows it works, but he also hopes it changes soon. <a href="http://t.co/bHScDkjIpu">http://t.co/bHScDkjIpu</a></p>— David Wilson (@DBWilson2) <a href="
">March 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Add another.

Overall, this article was pretty positive towards the Orioles and what they've been doing. Much more so than the tweet implies.

Zach? Sometimes it's better to just smile and say nothing.

Do you want to get extended?

Tip #1, don't be a Boras client.

It's kinda funny that we have now heard from ALL the BORAS clients except for Chen. This has become a joke. It is simply a game of escalation prior to the opening day cut off of negotiations.

It's kinda funny that we have now heard from ALL the BORAS clients except for Chen. This has become a joke. It is simply a game of escalation prior to the opening day cut off of negotiations.

Chen's translator is holding out for a cut of the action.

And yes, I had noticed that it is primarily the Boras clients.

What's even crazier is the people doing the barking.

Nick didn't deserve $44 million, was lucky to get it from Atlanta, then barked at the Orioles 2 months later.

Davis is barking about an extension after having a brutal year last year that ended with a drug suspension.

Wieters has been relatively tame with his remarks, but he has not lived up to the Switch Hitting Jesus billing that everyone thought he'd be, and is coming off a major surgery and a season where he played less than a month's worth of games.

And Zach was real close to being cut in Spring Training and has had 2/3 of a season as the closer.

These guys have a lot to prove before being guaranteed squat from anyone next year, much less to be barking at the Orioles and their desire to keep the team together.

Jones and JJ have already signed, so they have the right to be concerned, but they should address that with their bosses, not through the press.

I just don't get post like this. Davis and Matt will get the going rate when they hit free agency nothing more. Blame our owner for not paying the going rate. Dipper9 would you turn down more money?

So, if I understand you correctly, no player is ever overpaid. Is that right? If a team makes a crazy offer to a player that no other team would consider, that is the "going rate"? So Howard's contract with PHIL is OK? Ethier's contract with LAD is OK? There have been plenty of deals that, when signed, were obvious overpays. Few, if any, have worked out well for the signing team.

So, if I understand you correctly, no player is ever overpaid. Is that right? If a team makes a crazy offer to a player that no other team would consider, that is the "going rate"? So Howard's contract with PHIL is OK? Ethier's contract with LAD is OK? There have been plenty of deals that, when signed, were obvious overpays. Few, if any, have worked out well for the signing team.

Most players at Free Agency are paid more than their performance returns in value. TOB is right, you pay what you pay in FA. This issue is simply an issue because we have four players that are non-extending Boras clients. Three of which will be gone next year no matter what team we are and what owner we have. A big free agent return for a client is always prefaced by strong interest from his existing club. Scott Boras does not like that we are not raising the floor. I get it. Britton is just yapping for his boy. He knows we may not even tender him let alone extend him.

Most players at Free Agency are paid more than their performance returns in value. TOB is right, you pay what you pay in FA. This issue is simply an issue because we have four players that are non-extending Boras clients. Three of which will be gone next year no matter what team we are and what owner we have. A big free agent return for a client is always prefaced by strong interest from his existing club. Scott Boras does not like that we are not raising the floor. I get it. Britton is just yapping for his boy. He knows we may not even tender him let alone extend him.

I don't know if he does realize that.

In terms of it being all about the money, I guess this is usually the case for most teams. Although, I thought the O's were quite generous with Nick's first contract extension. In terms of the players, I think there are many instances in which players have given a home town discount. Jones and Hardy's contracts are the most recent example. Mussina's first contract is another.

I don't think Nick's first extension was particularly generous at the time. This is what they had to go on:

2006: .799 OPS, 106 OPS+, 2.5 rWAR

2007: .848 OPS, 121 OPS+, 4.2 rWAR

2008: .898 OPS, 136 OPS+, 7.4 rWAR

And he was 24 years old. That earned him 6/$66 mm, but considering his performance through that date and his trajectory, Orioles fans were flipping cartwheels.

By comparision, let's look at Adam's performance before he signed:

2008: .711 OPS, 87 OPS+, 2.0 rWAR

2009: .792 OPS, 105 OPS+, 2.6 rWAR

2010: .767 OPS, 108 OPS+, 2.5 rWAR

2011: .785 OPS, 111 OPS+, 3.0 rWAR

He signed early in the 2012 season, after an excellent start, but he'd had excellent starts in other years and hadn't finished as strong. That earned him 6/$85.5 mm.

It is slightly apples and oranges, since Nick's deal bought out three arbitration years and three free agent years, whereas Adam's bought out one arbitration year and five free agent years. But I would not say Nick's deal was more generous than Adam's at the time of those signings, considering the track records of the two players when they signed their deals. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that Nick's deal looks generous while Adam's looks like a home team discount.

I don't think Nick's first extension was particularly generous at the time. This is what they had to go on:

2006: .799 OPS, 106 OPS+, 2.5 rWAR

2007: .848 OPS, 121 OPS+, 4.2 rWAR

2008: .898 OPS, 136 OPS+, 7.4 rWAR

And he was 24 years old. That earned him 6/$66 mm, but considering his performance through that date and his trajectory, Orioles fans were flipping cartwheels.

By comparision, let's look at Adam's performance before he signed:

2008: .711 OPS, 87 OPS+, 2.0 rWAR

2009: .792 OPS, 105 OPS+, 2.6 rWAR

2010: .767 OPS, 108 OPS+, 2.5 rWAR

2011: .785 OPS, 111 OPS+, 3.0 rWAR

He signed early in the 2012 season, after an excellent start, but he'd had excellent starts in other years and hadn't finished as strong. That earned him 6/$85.5 mm.

It is slightly apples and oranges, since Nick's deal bought out three arbitration years and three free agent years, whereas Adam's bought out one arbitration year and five free agent years. But I would not say Nick's deal was more generous than Adam's at the time of those signings, considering the track records of the two players when they signed their deals. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that Nick's deal looks generous while Adam's looks like a home team discount.

Power. Power is a big part of these deals. And Premium Defensive Positions.

Archived