Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

Seems pretty clear to me...."You will not be paid for past performance, and you will not be paid more than your market value as we determine. If you can't live with that, I suggest you play for another team."

Amen! If you are valuable (Hardy, Jones) going into the future, you will be paid your projected market value.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Market value as the O's determine it is not the market value that the player gets when he is a FA.

Bingo. The key is to lock up guys before they hit the market and overspending teams get a chance to pay them more then they are worth. If we continue to stick our head in the sand and value players what they are worth, we'll never sign another free agent of consequence.

Bingo. The key is to lock up guys before they hit the market and overspending teams get a chance to pay them more then they are worth. If we continue to stick our head in the sand and value players what they are worth, we'll never sign another free agent of consequence.

Ummm...what's to keep the prospective "victim" of being paid more than he's worth from seeing through the subterfuge and refusing to extend therefore thwarting the clever strategy concocted by the cheapo GM's handcuffed by reality and/or good sense?

Ummm...what's to keep the prospective "victim" of being paid more than he's worth from seeing through the subterfuge and refusing to extend therefore thwarting the clever strategy concocted by the cheapo GM's handcuffed by reality and/or good sense?

Lol, nothing. Don't let the door hit you on the way out....

:agree:

I am confused why anyone thinks MW has a "shot". He is coming off an injury....he needs a big year...he is not 100% clearly...DD reached out to Boras about a short-term extension...perfect scenario for both sides....nothing happened.

MW will not resign unless heck freezes over and that is a good thing. Be horrible decision to give him long term money.

Davis on the other hand, is vocally expressing interest in staying. He just wants to know what the plan is. Not unreasonable at all.

I am confused why anyone thinks MW has a "shot". He is coming off an injury....he needs a big year...he is not 100% clearly...DD reached out to Boras about a short-term extension...perfect scenario for both sides....nothing happened.

MW will not resign unless heck freezes over and that is a good thing. Be horrible decision to give him long term money.

Davis on the other hand, is vocally expressing interest in staying. He just wants to know what the plan is. Not unreasonable at all.

He want's to know the plan?

astrangelove140d1.jpg

Seems pretty clear to me...."You will not be paid for past performance, and you will not be paid more than your market value as we determine. If you can't live with that, I suggest you play for another team."

I think that's pretty close, I don't really see a problem with that. If you're going to start paying players based on what they did a number of years ago, or what they want to be paid regardless of the market, or significant sums for being here for a while, as opposed to likely future production over the length of the discussed deal, then everyone but the player is likely to regret it. Another way to state the O's apparent position is "if you'd like a large or long contract, please consistently perform to a level that merits that."

The O's apparent position is "if you'd like a large or long contract, please consistently perform to a level that merits that."

I think that is a good formula for success. Also, the Orioles DO have an Analitics department. That is why Dom gave the talk. And Why Nick and Nelson are not here.

I think that is a good formula for success. Also, the Orioles DO have an Analitics department. That is why Dom gave the talk. And Why Nick and Nelson are not here.

If sources are right, the FO was willing to go 3 years with Nick, but, just not 4 years.

I also believe it was a DD decision all the way.

I think with Cruz, they just happen to have the 2nd best hand on the table, and Cruz took the money and ran.

If sources are right, the FO was willing to go 3 years with Nick, but, just not 4 years.

I also believe it was a DD decision all the way.

I think with Cruz, they just happen to have the 2nd best hand on the table, and Cruz took the money and ran.

The story I heard was that the O's offered Nick 4 years but then the neck thing came up and the Angelos boys said hold on and they backed off to three years. I think they would have signed Nelson to three years but SEA wanted him more.

The story I heard was that the O's offered Nick 4 years but then the neck thing came up and the Angelos boys said hold on and they backed off to three years. I think they would have signed Nelson to three years but SEA wanted him more.

Glad you have inside information.

Everything I remember seeing, was they were fine at 3 year, even with the neck thingy.

I thought the Orioles were content at 2 years with option for Cruz, again, 2nd best, in the end, Seattle wanted him more and offered him more.

Glad you have inside information.

Everything I remember seeing, was they were fine at 3 year, even with the neck thingy.

I thought the Orioles were content at 2 years with option for Cruz, again, 2nd best, in the end, Seattle wanted him more and offered him more.

Not inside info. just what they were saying on MLBXM. But thanks for the snark.

Archived