Chris Davis wants to see Orioles commit to the future before he does

TheOrangeBirds

I'd rather lose with spare parts then use the Phillies model.

I don't care who someone is a bad contract is a bad contract and in most cases they should be avoided.

Then again I am someone who wouldn't freak out if there was a couple year lull while the team rebuilt.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd rather lose with spare parts then use the Phillies model.

I don't care who someone is a bad contract is a bad contract and in most cases they should be avoided.

Then again I am someone who wouldn't freak out if there was a couple year lull while the team rebuilt.

I don't think anyone wants to see another losing season while 'rebuilding', but there's so much room between that and what the Phillies and Yankees do.

It's been said before, but the model for a truly successful ballclub is clearly the Cardinals. They don't stress about signing (or not signing) their players - they make solid baseball decisions that help them today and in the future. Sometimes that includes keeping your guys, sometimes it means you replace them with younger talent you've developed internally.

I don't think anyone wants to see another losing season while 'rebuilding', but there's so much room between that and what the Phillies and Yankees do.

It's been said before, but the model for a truly successful ballclub is clearly the Cardinals. They don't stress about signing (or not signing) their players - they make solid baseball decisions that help them today and in the future. Sometimes that includes keeping your guys, sometimes it means you replace them with younger talent you've developed internally.

None of us want to. Just I won't freak out and start calling for people's head if it happens. In the grand scheme of things I can live with some sort of contend for four years don't contend for two cycle.

I just don't want to see the team lost at sea, rudderless, for a decade.

At the risk of sounding hopelessly clueless and naive and old-fashioned, because even though I know "it's a business", I still wonder at the irresistible urge that's come over seemingly every Orioles mainstay to publicly remind us of it at this particular moment. It might be nice if you, Adam Jones, and you Chris Davis, and any other Orioles player so inclined could just STFU and focus on what might be the most important season in the last three decades or so.

Oh, and Nick? Goodbye already.

This. I'm petrified that they're just going to let CD/Wieters/Chen/Tillman/Jones/Manny walk, fail to replace them, and we'll be left with a bunch of spare parts. You need to at least make some effort to retain your best players.

Why are you including Jones in this list? They did make the effort to retain him, by signing him to an extension. And Manny is ours for a few more years. Yet again, Stevie Janowski plays fast and loose with the facts.

You can mix the two (case in point: Cardinals). You can't just let all of your best players walk like we very possibly will. Not only will you not be good, but you'll alienate a large part of your fanbase.

How is it very possible that we're going to let all of our best players walk when we've already extended AJ and Hardy?

At the risk of sounding hopelessly clueless and naive and old-fashioned, because even though I know "it's a business", I still wonder at the irresistible urge that's come over seemingly every Orioles mainstay to publicly remind us of it at this particular moment. It might be nice if you, Adam Jones, and you Chris Davis, and any other Orioles player so inclined could just STFU and focus on what might be the most important season in the last three decades or so.

And if you want a big payday, PRODUCE. You can't play the leverage game when you hit under .200.

You can mix the two (case in point: Cardinals). You can't just let all of your best players walk like we very possibly will. Not only will you not be good, but you'll alienate a large part of your fanbase.

Do you think the Cardinals could have replicated their success in the AL East?

They certainly wouldn't have a ring for '06.

I think he's making it pretty clear... He has no intentions of playing longterm for a team that's going to continually let guys walk/trade them off for prospects to keep the budget at a certain level. The O's have a lot of guys that are going to be due for paydays very shortly. If the team's answer to that is to continually look for cheaper alternatives, Chris intends to play elsewhere.

So he can go play for the Yankees then. They seem to meet your criteria of a team without payroll constraints. And for a team without a realistic budget, they sure are putting a mediocre team on the field.

I think the O's can re-sign Pearce, Hunter and O'Day if they want them. Power hitter 1B/DH Walker and rightfielder Alvarez are likely promotions from the farm as regulars. Bundy will be in the rotation. The O's will probably have 50M to spend.

1B - Pearce

2B - Schoop

SS - Hardy

3B - Manny

LF - Snider

CF - Jones

RF - Alvarez

C - Joseph

DH - Walker

UIF - Flaherty

UIF - Cabrera

BC - Arencibia

4th OF - Lough

SP - Gausman

SP - Tillman

SP - Gonzo

SP - Bundy

SP - Jimenez

Closer - Britton

Setup - O'Day

Setup - Hunter

RP - Brach

SP/RP - Garcia

SP/RP - McFarland

SP/RP - M. Wright

RP - T Berry

RP - Wilson

RP - Davies

Doesn't look to bad to me.

I think the O's can re-sign Pearce, Hunter and O'Day if they want them. Power hitter 1B/DH Walker and rightfielder Alvarez are likely promotions from the farm as regulars. Bundy will be in the rotation. The O's will probably have 50M to spend.

1B - Pearce

2B - Schoop

SS - Hardy

3B - Manny

LF - Snider

CF - Jones

RF - Alvarez

C - Joseph

DH - Walker

UIF - Flaherty

UIF - Cabrera

BC - Arencibia

4th OF - Lough

SP - Gausman

SP - Tillman

SP - Gonzo

SP - Bundy

SP - Jimenez

Closer - Britton

Setup - O'Day

Setup - Hunter

RP - Brach

SP/RP - Garcia

SP/RP - McFarland

SP/RP - M. Wright

RP - T Berry

RP - Wilson

RP - Davies

Doesn't look to bad to me.

Assuming Walker, Snider, Pearce, Schoop, and Alverez hit. If they don't and several of them wont, it wouldn't hurt to spend some of that 50 M on a sure bat.

Assuming Walker, Snider, Pearce, Schoop, and Alverez hit. If they don't and several of them wont, it wouldn't hurt to spend some of that 50 M on a sure bat.

Sure. And I believe they would. Heck, DD upgrades all year. We may see several adds before the year is over.

I'd like to see Peter use some of the money to give DD and Buck raises to keep them happy and Orioles.

I get those of who who are upset that Jones and Davis are saying these things publicly. But I find it hard to understand those who are upset that these guys feel the way they seemingly do. They want to win. Period.

Think of it from their potential perspectives: they watch two clubhouse favorites and a big piece of the bullpen subtracted, all the while very little is ever added. Then to top it all off, they walk in on their GM flirting with a division rival.

And if that wasn't potentially upsetting enough to guys such as Jones and Davis, they then are left to wonder what will happen next year - and given this offseason's outcome - is it really so absurd that some players might be feeling apprehensive about the direction of the team moving forward?

I agree. I don't get all this public outcry to the media all of the sudden. I guess its a combination of Duke flirting with the Jays and allowing Nick to walk that has them all pissed off, but too bad. You play for Buck. You play for Duke. You play for Angelos and the Orioles. You PLAY. Ie, you guys don't make the decisions. Leave that to the men in charge.

Archived