Press Box: Paul Folk - ORIOLES BUBBLE PLAYERS: ONE-WEEK CHECKPOINT

weams

Snider's career OPS - 716

Snider's career OPS in the first half - 677

Snider's 2014 first half OPS - 660

Snider's 2014 2nd half OPS - 880

If Snider plays through ST the way he normally plays in the first half, he will not claim the starting right fielders job. He probably makes the team but he will be a backup player. There is a reason Snider has not been an everyday player. When given chances he has not taken advantage of them.

That opens a spot for another outfielder. Could be Pearce but that would take a him out of the DH spot. Alvarez has a shot if he has a good spring. He is probably the best defensive right fielder in camp. I'm not saying Alvarez will make the O's out for ST but he has a chance.

Re. Snyder. He didn't take advantage of opportunities until last year. When Polanco proved unread to take the starting RF job in Pittsburgh Snyder went and did it. He put up good numbers with a lot of power. It wasn't like he was their only option either. Tabata or Lambo, who was putting up monster AAA numbers, could have been called on. Snyder started to take off at the end of last year. We will see if he can continue.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Re. Snyder. He didn't take advantage of opportunities until last year. When Polanco proved unread to take the starting RF job in Pittsburgh Snyder went and did it. He put up good numbers with a lot of power. It wasn't like he was their only option either. Tabata or Lambo, who was putting up monster AAA numbers, could have been called on. Snyder started to take off at the end of last year. We will see if he can continue.

He didn't hit well in the first half last year. And his career average in the first half shows that he normally doesn't. That may be a problem for him this year. It could put him on the bench early in the year if he hits for below a 700 OPS.

If Snider plays through ST the way he normally plays in the first half, he will not claim the starting right fielders job. He probably makes the team but he will be a backup player. There is a reason Snider has not been an everyday player. When given chances he has not taken advantage of them.

You're putting way too much stock into ST. Snider isn't a rookie or a guy with 1-2 years of experience in the bigs. He's more or less a known quantity.

That opens a spot for another outfielder. Could be Pearce but that would take a him out of the DH spot. Alvarez has a shot if he has a good spring. He is probably the best defensive right fielder in camp. I'm not saying Alvarez will make the O's out for ST but he has a chance.

I don't follow this. Even if Snider becomes a backup rather than a starter, how does that open a spot for another outfielder? It might mean that more RF starts will go to Pearce/Lough/Young rather than Snider, but it won't change which outfielders are on the roster. The O's currently have five main guys for the LF/RF/DH positions: De Aza, Snider, Pearce, Lough, and Young. All of them are either out of options or won't realistically be optioned. I don't see Alvarez jumping ahead of any of those guys, barring injury.

You're putting way too much stock into ST. Snider isn't a rookie or a guy with 1-2 years of experience in the bigs. He's more or less a known quantity.

I don't follow this. Even if Snider becomes a backup rather than a starter, how does that open a spot for another outfielder? It might mean that more RF starts will go to Pearce/Lough/Young rather than Snider, but it won't change which outfielders are on the roster. The O's currently have five main guys for the LF/RF/DH positions: De Aza, Snider, Pearce, Lough, and Young. All of them are either out of options or won't realistically be optioned. I don't see Alvarez jumping ahead of any of those guys, barring injury.

Snider as a known quantity puts up about a 720 career OPS. That will not allow him be keep his starting spot. The O's are hoping that he repeats his 776 OPS of last year which mostly happened in the 2nd half. However, Snider's history is that he starts the year poorly. He has had many chances and normally fails. I hope he does better this time.

Snider as a known quantity puts up about a 720 career OPS. That will not allow him be keep his starting spot. The O's are hoping that he repeats his 776 OPS of last year which mostly happened in the 2nd half. However, Snider's history is that he starts the year poorly. He has had many chances and normally fails. I hope he does better this time.

You still haven't addressed how Alvarez makes this roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After another stinker today I wonder if there is a chance that Norris is the starter that gets banished to the bull pen to start the year. Last year may have been his career year. Also his power arm may play well out of the bullpen

You are on a roll for making asinine posts using ST stats. You would put Ubaldo in the rotation over Norris? It is certainly possible but Norris is a decent 4/5th starter. He is what he is.

So now you are changing your opinion about him making the team if Snider falters?

You convinced me there are too many players in front of him. I still like Alvarez and hope to see with the O's this year.

You convinced me there are too many players in front of him. I still like Alvarez and hope to see with the O's this year.

He is a good player to have and I agree that he will probably be up sometime this year. I wonder who the Os call up if they need an OF, Alvarez or Reimold. There should be some 40 man openings by the end of ST that Alvarez might get the call so he can be sent down easily.

Pearce seems likely to play at least 4 positions. LF, RF, 1B and DH. I think Buck values that ability. I don't know if Buck would want Pearce in RF all the time. I don't think his arm is good enough for that. I also don't think Davis is the right fit for right field though a can see him getting some starts there. On the other hand Alvarez is a rightfielder. He has the arm and range for the position. The only question is......is his bat ready.
Perce will play RF unless he is needed to replace Davis, for some reason. If De Aza doesn't hit LHP he could be platooning with Pearce in LF. Pearce will occasionally DH, but DH is up in the air until Wieter's situation is resolved. Unless Pearce isn't hitting, he will see most of his time in RF, IMO.

Perce will play RF unless he is needed to replace Davis, for some reason. If De Aza doesn't hit LHP he could be platooning with Pearce in LF. Pearce will occasionally DH, but DH is up in the air until Wieter's situation is resolved. Unless Pearce isn't hitting, he will see most of his time in RF, IMO.

That is very possible. Wieters better start hitting if he is going to DH.

Archived