Rey Navarro joins the utility infielder competition

wildcard

They paid Yoon more than many of the relievers on the club. I don't think Dan and Buck care all that much if a guy is making a couple more mil than a guy who is playing much better. Ryan Webb is a good example. They've allocated those millions for quality depth guys (which Everth certainly is), whether they are on the 25-man or not; they believe that's money well spent regardless.

The exception being someone like Ubaldo, but even he is at risk to be demoted to the 'pen.

Yoon was more of a long term investment. They knew he wasn't going to help right away. Webb had one bad stretch, the problem was they needed to send someone down and Brach was lights out. Webb didn't really lose his job as much as others stepped up. The Orioles have seen Flaherty for 3 years, they know who he is. I don't think Cabrera is signed to play at AAA. He brings a different skill set to the team. If JJ leads off the 9th with a hit Buck could pinch run Cabrera for him and not sweat over defense. I could see him sent down if they needed an extra pitcher and they were willing to go with a short bench for a game of two but I think unless he is just terrible he is on the team.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wildcard, I thought you had him being cut in the first round on your other post:)?

Yep. I like to guess and I am not always right. But when they give a guy a chance and he takes advantage of it, than sending him down becomes harder.

Is Navarro the new Francisco Peguero, the next man up that never even got up? Spring training stats don't amount to a whole lot of anything, and in order to make the team he has to leap frog some combination of Schoop, Flaherty, and Cabrera. That seems fairly unlikely.

Could be. I'm not saying Navarro wins this competition. Schoop looks safe at this point. Flaherty and Cabrera have to play well to win a spot. There is a slight opening for Navarro but its not a big one.

I'd put it at less than 10%. The Orioles are smart enough not to base the decision on 30 or 40 spring at-bats.

Schoop looks safe.

Flaherty is the incumbent. He has the edge. But the O's brought these other guys in look for something better.

So Cabrera does not look better. You have to wonder whether his best year was not steroid induced. Not saying it was. Just saying it something to think about.

Navarro has a outside shot if everyone else falls on their face.

Schoop looks safe.

Flaherty is the incumbent. He has the edge. But the O's brought these other guys in look for something better.

So Cabrera does not look better. You have to wonder whether his best year was not steroid induced. Not saying it was. Just saying it something to think about.

Wrong, DD said he brought in more bodies, for two reasons, competition normally makes people play better and for quality depth, since there are a few question marks, like Manny's knee, Hardy's back and Wieters.

Schoop looks safe.

I disagree with most of this, not that that matters. Navarro has zero shot of making the team. Schoop is just as likely now as he was yesterday to be sent down. If he wins the job though, Flaherty will almost certainly head to Norfolk.

Wrong, DD said he brought in more bodies, for two reasons, competition normally makes people play better and for quality depth, since there are a few question marks, like Manny's knee, Hardy's back and Wieters.

So you don't think that Buck and Dan would like someone the plays defense as well as Flaherty but hits better?

So you don't think that Buck and Dan would like someone the plays defense as well as Flaherty but hits better?

So far Cabrera hasn't hit better, and since Flaherty is the incumbent, Cabrera has to earn his slot, and not be given to him.

For the record, looking back over Cabrera's stats, he doesn't show that much offensive production.

I disagree with most of this, not that that matters. Navarro has zero shot of making the team. Schoop is just as likely now as he was yesterday to be sent down. If he wins the job though, Flaherty will almost certainly head to Norfolk.

I think you are putting too much emphasis on money. Buck and Dan are not afraid to option guys making good money IMO. Performance counts.

So far Cabrera hasn't hit better, and since Flaherty is the incumbent, Cabrera has to earn his slot, and not be given to him.

For the record, looking back over Cabrera's stats, he doesn't show that much offensive production.

I agree. But that is why Cabrera and Navarro were brought in IMO. To try and improve the 2B/UIF production. So far Cabrera has not. But it early.

Yep. I like to guess and I am not always right. But when they give a guy a chance and he takes advantage of it, than sending him down becomes harder.
Production? Ten at bats during the first week of spring training?
Spring Training is not production. Nor is spring production actually a barometer on a Buck club. He'll decide who he wants based on all types of intangibles. I think Buck already said one of the reason we got so many infielders was to improve the defense for some of our young prospect pitchers. Who will also be stuck in the minors. At least for a bit. We have a lot of infielders when Jarish gets healthy.

Archived