Rey Navarro joins the utility infielder competition

wildcard

There is no good citizen award here that gets a player a spot of the 25 man roster. He has to be able to help the team win. So after being suspended for steroids he had a bad season hitting for a 572 OPS and this spring he is having trouble playing 2nd base much less third. How the heck does he beat out Flaherty with that track record. There is only on way. He has to do better between now and opening day and he knows it:

Cabrera speaking from Roch's blog:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/morning-notes-on-webb-johnson-and-cabrera.html

This is all a lot of speculation on your part. I'm pretty sure the Orioles are writing off his 2014 season as an aberration, or they wouldn't have guaranteed him the money that they did. As long as he is healthy and in good standing, he's a lock for the roster.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is all a lot of speculation on your part. I'm pretty sure the Orioles are writing off his 2014 season as an aberration, or they wouldn't have guaranteed him the money that they did. As long as he is healthy and in good standing, he's a lock for the roster.

Was 2010 an aberration as well?

I disagree with lock. Yes, he is a good defender at SS, and is insurance for Hardy, but that doesn't mean, he won't be playing ball @ AAA.

I can see the O's expecting something around his career OPS of 650. That is not the problem to start the season though. Its that he has not played 2B in five years and he will need time to adjust. Even has a SS he does not come up to the consistency of Hardy.

I am not saying that Cabrera will not be a asset with his speed. Just that he needs to get his defensive act together to back up both 2B and 3B to beat out Flaherty as the utility infielder. If he goes to Norfolk and improves at those two positions he can beat out Flaherty because of his speed. I think that is what the O's saw in him.

I can see Schoop being the 2B again. I don't see any path besides injury for Flaherty to beat him out for the utility spot. That's just my opinion. And yes, the money is certainly one factor, but the bigger factor is that he was worth 4.5 wins in 2012/13, and the Orioles are going to give him a chance to get back to that level. I fully believe that. If they thought his 2014 was a new baseline after the steroid suspension, they wouldn't have guaranteed him what they did. They are willing to take the chance that the drop-off had a lot more to do with him dealing with hamstring issues all season than anything.

I can see Schoop being the 2B again. I don't see any path besides injury for Flaherty to beat him out for the utility spot. That's just my opinion. And yes, the money is certainly one factor, but the bigger factor is that he was worth 4.5 wins in 2012/13, and the Orioles are going to give him a chance to get back to that level. I fully believe that. If they thought his 2014 was a new baseline after the steroid suspension, they wouldn't have guaranteed him what they did. They are willing to take the chance that the drop-off had a lot more to do with him dealing with hamstring issues all season than anything.

If accumulated WAR is a factor why get Snider? You have Lough worth over 4 wins (f and r WAR) in part time play over the last two season.

If accumulated WAR is a factor why get Snider? You have Lough worth over 4 wins (f and r WAR) in part time play over the last two season.

So much of Lough's value is tied up in his defense (wRC+ 97 and 95 the last two years). In Snider, they see (imo) a much better chance at significant offensive production (121 wRC+ last year) without a huge defensive drop-off. It's also not like they got rid of Lough. The Orioles obviously like to identify guys that they think have a chance to outperform their salary or break out. In Snider's case, they are hoping his 2nd half last year was repeatable and that moving from a terrible park for LH power to a great park for LH power will help too.

So much of Lough's value is tied up in his defense (wRC+ 97 and 95 the last two years). In Snider, they see (imo) a much better chance at significant offensive production (121 wRC+ last year) without a huge defensive drop-off. It's also not like they got rid of Lough. The Orioles obviously like to identify guys that they think have a chance to outperform their salary or break out. In Snider's case, they are hoping his 2nd half last year was repeatable and that moving from a terrible park for LH power to a great park for LH power will help too.

Right, because the O's run prevention strategy is not predicated around a strong defense.

I don't see how getting 2+ WAR out of 500K is not "outperforming their salary".

Right, because the O's run prevention strategy is not predicated around a strong defense.

Their run prevention strategy involved Lough playing 500 innings of defense last year. I'm not sure what the argument is, because he looks ticketed for at least that again this year. Snider doesn't change their Lough usage all that much imo.

Their run prevention strategy involved Lough playing 500 innings of defense last year. I'm not sure what the argument is, because he looks ticketed for at least that again this year. Snider doesn't change their Lough usage all that much imo.

Why trade assets for Snider, who costs more and has preformed, by WAR, inferiorly when you already have Lough?

Obviously the O's are not overly relying on WAR which was one of your main points as to why Caberera would be given a roster spot over Flaherty.

the bigger factor is that he was worth 4.5 wins in 2012/13

I am just trying to figure out why you think accumulated WAR is the biggest factor for Caberera but isn't for Lough.

Archived