Steve Johnson

33rdst

I was very impressed with Steve Johnson's performance against the Yankees yesterday. It was kind of a "statement" outing, as much as a spring training outing can be. First and foremost, he looked completely healthy. No evidence that his jammed finger or last year's arm problems are issues. His control looked great. He mixed pitches well and his velocity is back. He even made an excellent defensive play. He looked like he did a few years ago when Buck had so many nice things to say about him. Too bad we have the backlog on the staff. I would love to see him get a shot. I think he could help us.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he could help also but if they bring him up, they have to think he will be up for good because he has no options left.

Really? I thought the option was for the entire year. So he could be sent back down.

Steve Johnson retired the side in order yesterday after a rough debut against the Blue Jays in Dunedin, when he allowed a tie-breaking run to score in a 5-4 loss.

Johnson surrendered a hit and an unearned run, issued a walk and committed a throwing error in his only inning against Toronto. Left fielder Jimmy Paredes pulled up on a sinking liner, and Johnson's error came after the ball got stuck in his glove.

No wonder he was much happier about yesterday's outing, but it went beyond the box score. Johnson's fastball was 90-91 mph and his right shoulder felt great following surgery to shave a bone spur, remove the debris and open up the capsule to improve rotation and flexibility.

"It's just nice to be able to throw free and easy and have the velocity there," Johnson said. "Last year, I really struggled with throwing as hard as I could and it was 83-84, so it was just nice to be able to be pain-free and be able to work out and worry about getting the hitters out instead of staying on the field."

Results don't always matter in exhibition games, but Johnson needed some positive reinforcement yesterday. It was a nice reward for the hard work he's put into getting back on the mound.

"I felt like last outing I came back strong from the disaster of the first three hitters," said Johnson, who has four strikeouts in two innings. "It was nice to have a clean outing. It was nice to just be able to throw strikes and feel good and have all of that working together. It's been a while since I had an inning like that, let alone the velocity and all that stuff. It's definitely just nice to build on that."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/03/morning-notes-on-webb-johnson-and-cabrera.html

• 1 month later...
I was very impressed with Steve Johnson's performance against the Yankees yesterday. It was kind of a "statement" outing, as much as a spring training outing can be. First and foremost, he looked completely healthy. No evidence that his jammed finger or last year's arm problems are issues. His control looked great. He mixed pitches well and his velocity is back. He even made an excellent defensive play. He looked like he did a few years ago when Buck had so many nice things to say about him. Too bad we have the backlog on the staff. I would love to see him get a shot. I think he could help us.

Johnson is pitching well for the AAA-Tides so far this season.

He had another 2 innings of shutout ball today, ceding only 1 single, walking 0, and striking out 1.

In 9 innings pitched, he has an ERA of 1.00, and a WHIP of 1.00.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=489002#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2015/MINORS

SJ and Reimold are in the same boat. Both are big leaguers when they are healthy. But right now neither has an option. So we'd have to DFA Lough and Garcia to add them. However I think I'm ready to cut bait with Garcia and bring up SJ. He could be yet another multi inning reliever.

Eventually we should just do something crazy and let Gausman, Brach and SJ pitch the first 8 innings of a game. Would it kill the bullpen or save the bullpen? Because we're using 4 relievers a game anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Johnson is pitching well for the AAA-Tides so far this season.

He had another 2 innings of shutout ball today, ceding only 1 single, walking 0, and striking out 1.

In 9 innings pitched, he has an ERA of 1.00, and a WHIP of 1.00.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=489002#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2015/MINORS

Johnson has continued to put up good numbers at AAA-Norfolk.

On the season, he is 1-0 with an 0.63 ERA and a 1.047 WHIP in 14.33 innings over 8 games.

In his 8 games so far games, he has thrown 227 Pitches (153 Strikes, 54 Balls.)

That's 67% Strikes, 33% Balls.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=489002#/gamelogs/R/pitching/2015/MINORS

We have some tremendous bullpen options in Norfolk right now.

Johnson: 0.63 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 22 K vs. 3 BB in 14.1 IP

Drake: 1.50 ERA, 0.67 WHIP, 22 K's vs. 3 BB in 12.0 IP.

Beato: 1.26 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 9 K's vs. 5 BB in 14.1 IP.

Cabral: 0.00 ERA, 0.43 WHIP, 12 K's vs. 0 BB in 9.1 IP.

Tremendous? Maybe for AAA. Johnson is the only one that has had any success in the majors. Someone calls the move from AAA to the majors the biggest jump in sports.

I am glad for the options but I am a little more tempered about making a successful jump.

I didn't even realize he'd come back to our organization.

Archived